Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
C 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
D 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 16

College Boy Z

Post Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

Quote:
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (or just Tomb Raider) is a 2001 adventure thrill film adapted from the Tomb Raider video game series. Directed by Simon West and starring Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft, it was released in U.S. theaters on June 15, 2001. The film was a commercial success, although it did not fare very well critically. As of June 16, 2010 it is no longer the highest grossing video game to film adaptation worldwide, although it is still the highest grossing domestically. The worldwide record was taken by Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, which grossed $335 million worldwide as of October 10, 2010.

A sequel, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, was released in 2003.

Fun summer flick. Jolie was hoooooooottttttt. B+

Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:54 am
Extraordinary

I loved this lovely piece of crap. Obviously, it's a bad film, but I can't help liking it. Nevertheless, in all fairness, this is far from being worthy of recommendation.

D/D-

Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:03 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

eeeeww! Terrible movie! Angelina Jolie was fun but the movie was terrible and it just fell right on it's face. I haven't even seen the second one.

4/10 (D+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:09 am
Profile YIM WWW
La Bella Vito

It is okay, the action is good, and Angelina is great. I like the second one a lot better though.

C+

Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Not only was this utterly devoid of intelligence, it was also boring.

C-

Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:55 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

So stupid it fails on nearly every level. Even Jolie couldn't save this trainwreck of a film. Boring, pretentious and rubbish.

C-

Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:19 pm
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

I'm a HUGE tomb raider fan, so naturally, it gets an A from me.

Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

How can you trash this film and still give it a rating in the C range? I was kind to it and gave it a D. :???:

Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

D

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:27 pm
Forum General

The last scene where she's standing there all stately and then the hard music kicks and and she goes and WHIPS out her guns totally reminded me of something I would have that was SOOO COOL when I was, like... 8.

And that applies to pretty much the entire movie, too.

D-ish.

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Lots of Tomb Raider fans here. I might have to start a club...

#-o

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Teenage Dream

Arguably one of the worst films of all time. Somehow, someway, despite having nearly wall to wall action, it's boring as all hell. I blame the completely incompetent writing/direction. Jolie tries, but you can't polish a turd.

F

Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:04 pm
All Star Poster

A++++ Great film. This holds the record for my most hyped film. I hyped it for a good 6 months before it came out; approximately 4 times per week in the beginning and then a whopping 6 times per day the month before it came out. Man that teaser trailer with angelina haning upside down in the rope was amazing.

Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Last edited by tombraider17 on Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

neostorm wrote:
A++++ Great film. This holds the record for my most hyped film. I hyped it for a good 6 months before it came out; approximately 4 times per week in the beginning and then a whopping 6 times per day the month before it came out. Man that teaser trailer with angelina haning upside down in the rope was amazing.

I know what you mean. I saw it twice opening day, and four times in its whole theatrical run.

LOL @ him being sarcastic, and you being completely serious :laugh:

Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This one was one of my most anticipated movies of its year and man, was I disappointed! Angeline Jolie is a perfect Lara Croft and this one could have become the role of her life, but unfortunately the screenwriters and the director (despite his great work on Con Air and The General's Daughter) turned out as too incompetent to make this a good piece of cinema. I mean the game is a mixture of James Bond and Indiana Jones and the movie tries to convey that. It just mostly fails. As many have already mentioned before, while there is lots of action it all somehow manages to stay so unspectacular. I was bored throughout almost every single action piece. All of them seemed "been there, done that" and so uninspired. Jolie really elevated this movie from being bad to at least mediocre.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:39 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

The sequel is dumber, but I don't think it's as boring. Yowza.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:50 pm
Mod Team Leader

I wish it was 1981 all over again, 26 June 2001

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a lost art. It is a film that embodies all the simplicity of film yet it was made ( at the time ) with all the latest technology. It had a few excellent special effects in it and the stunts were the zenith of film making. It was the absolute pinnacle of action films in 1981 and it still is today. Funny, strange, ironic, take your pick that technology has changed exponentially in the last twenty years and yet we still cannot duplicate or successfully imitate a film that changed the scope of film twenty years ago. As a film reviewer once said, just because you can put something in film, doesn't mean you should. There has to be reason for it. There has to be flow to it and most of all, if you are going to make an action film, the action has to be the treat. The story has to be the glue that holds it all together. Could you imagine if Lucas and Phillip Kaufman and William Huyck and Jeffrey Boam had the story of the eye of the pyramid and all that was Lara Croft? Could you imagine the film that they could write? As a matter of fact, wouldn't it be interesting if this was the next installment of the Indiana Jones legacy? It would be quite interesting. I know it is not fair to compare Lara Croft to Indiana Jones or Simon West to Spielberg but in some ways it is inevitable. Indiana Jones paved the way for future films of the same nature to get made, now it is only fair that these same films be judged on their work. It is no secret that Tomb Raider is a pastiche of other great films from the past like Indy and even Jackie Chan films. But when you are imitating one's style, the least you can do is pay homage to it, not just punch the clock and hope that it turns out okay. If you looked up prosaic in the encyclopedia of action films, this one would lead the list.

The big problem with Tomb Raider is that it is all visual effects and no story. There is to much "action" and not enough leading up to that action. Not that action is a bad thing, it isn't. But when I don't really know anything about the bad guys, or even about Lara's cronies, then I can't really care about them or the rest of the movie. Look at Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Look how much we knew about him before we discovered he was competing for the search of the Ark. We knew he was a worthy but devious competitor to Indy. We knew that he was smart and well versed in world religion and that he spoke Hovitos. And how do we know this? Aside from the fact that he is waiting to claim the idol at the beginning, we know it because of one exchange between him and Indy.

"Again we can see there is nothing you can possess which I can not take away. And you thought I'd given up."

"Too bad the Hovitos don't know you the way I do Belloq."

"Yes, you could warn them. If only you spoke Hovitos."

Such a simple exchange. Yet such a vital one. This makes their struggle all the more epic and all the more apodictic. Lara Croft doesn't have a modicum of this. Lara Croft doesn't know the fundamentals of what an action film embodies. It may look and feel like a video game, but it smells and tastes like garbage. I get angry when films like this tease me. For every ground breaking film like T2 and The Matrix that thrill us and entertain us, you get a plethora of other films like The Mummy 2 and Tomb Raider that just go through the motions. And these films will continue to flourish as long as they have 40 million dollar openings. Because this encourages film makers. It doesn't matter if these films cost 100 million to produce, they are going to make that back in the first month of distribution and then make more garbage. I yearn for the days when films could justify their 20 million dollar budgets by making 300 or 400 million dollars world wide. Now you get films like Tomb Raider, like Final Destiny, like A.E that are inflating their budgets and all they are doing is making films that have been done before, but they are making a very poor imitation of them. If you look at a film like Star Wars, E.T. Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ghostbuster, Jaws, Back to the Future and even something like Close Encounters or Rambo, you will see that not only did these films make tons of money, they did it with a parsimonious budget compared to today's films. Sure Tomb Raider and The Mummy and even something like Pearl Harbor will make lots of money, but at what ratio from budget to profit? Raiders made about 20 times it's budget, Jaws, about 50 times it's budget, Star Wars, maybe 100 times it's budget. These films will be lucky to make one and a half times their budget, if these films perform well over seas ( Titanic being the exception ). You think Scary movie and The Fast and The Furious are glitches? They aren't, they are actually the model that films should be based on. Less is sometimes more.

Tomb Raider is a boring action film. Angelina Jolie is quite good in the title role but that is about it. All the action sequences, all the kicks and punches and exploding rock monsters are all done in vain because this is a film that you could actually fall asleep in. Next time, I suggest they follow the manual a little more carefully when trying to make the next great action film. Spielberg and Lucas are the icons of the business for a reason. Simon West and company shouldn't forget that. After all, you want to be compared to Raiders of the Lost Ark and not Cutthroat Island.

2 out of 10- Prosaic being the mots du jour.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
---------

"Must be one of those ticking clocks..." Seriously, my cousin and I must have laughed at that line for an hour. Lara Croft is pretty much your staple action flick. I didn't hate it...

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:53 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re:
torrino wrote:
It made no sense.

D

Agreed - - though I rate it 1 out of 5.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:44 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Quite the horrible piece of crap.

Same.