Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The Patriot 

What grade would you give this film?
A 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

The Patriot 
College Boy Z

Post The Patriot
The Patriot

Quote:
The Patriot is a 2000 war film directed by Roland Emmerich, written by Robert Rodat, and starring Mel Gibson, Chris Cooper, and Heath Ledger. It was produced by the Mutual Film Company and was distributed by Columbia Pictures. The film mainly takes place in South Carolina (and was entirely filmed there) and depicts the story of an American swept into the American Revolutionary War when his family is threatened. The protagonist, Benjamin Martin, is loosely based on real Continental Army officer Francis Marion, Andrew Pickens and other Revolutionary War figures. The Patriot was nominated for three Academy Awards: Best Sound, Best Cinematography, and Best Original Music Score.

Great film. One of my favorite Mel Gibson movies, actually. A-

(hehe, it's from the brilliant director of The Day After Tomorrow, Godzilla, AND Independence Day... :razz:)

Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:23 pm
Squee

Post Re: The Patriot
"This time, it's personal"

I wish I had creative control over the posters for this movie, cause that is the perfect tagline for it.

They should have left him alone.

He didn't want to be apart of their war.

But then they pushed him to the limits.

And killed his son.

Thus unleashing this one man army on the battlefield to single handedly win independence for the United States of America.

Perfect trailer.

But no, one kid wasn't enough motivation. This time, how about burning his son's wife to death in a church? Not personal enough yet? Ok, how about killing the other son who's wife had just burned to death in a church? Yeaaah... that's a bit more personal. Should be the required motivation for Gibson to annihilate the evil British.

Though Im not convinced they made it personal enough. They could have done something more. Something to make it more personal. Maybe they should have dug up the corpse of his late wife and molested it in front of him. That should be sufficient personalization right there. Then when Gibson meets his foe on the battlefield, the battle between the two will be so much more emotional.

Think of the son. Think of the daughter in law. Think of the other son. Think of your dead wife being molested by British soldiers. Think about all of that to give you the focus you need to destroy the British.

This movie is horrible. 1/2 (F)

:glare:

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:55 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Yeah this film is rather heavy handed to the point of lunacy. In The Patriot little guns aren't enough to kill somebody, oh no they have to have their entire head blasted off with a cannon.

What an utterly goofy film this is.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:58 pm
The 5th B-Sharp

I personally likes when he takes the flag and sticks in a horse, up until that point I thought it wasn't quite crazy and patriotic enough but after that :thumbsup:

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:57 pm
loyalfromlondon

One of my guilty pleasures.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:16 pm
Motherfuckin' sexual

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Perhaps Mel's best film.

It's American history via the wacky antics of Lethal Weapon II.

Perfect description. This movie is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Squee

Magnus wrote:
I don't understand why this has to be labeled as a gulity pleasure.

I do. You should all feel guilty for enjoying this movie!

:glare:

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:39 pm
loyalfromlondon

Magnus wrote:
I don't understand why this has to be labeled as a gulity pleasure. There is no reason not to like this film, unless you're some ultra history-buff that demands everything be accurate. Hell, my history teacehr actually loved this film. He actually showed us this film in class once and pointed all the inaccuracies in it, but then stated that despite all of that, it was a great film.

The film is how summer blockbusters should be. Nothing wrong with that at all.

It's not about the historical inaccuracies in it - I could care less about those. It's not a documentary. It's about the black-and-white characterizations, the lack of anything substantial said, and the simplifying of the American Revolution down to one man's vengeance. It's one of my 'comfort' movies, when I don't want anything complex or meaningful, just a nice, satisfying, violent flick where the heroes are perfect and the villains are monstrous and everything works out in the end. It's one of very few movies that make me cheer for the Americans over the Brits.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:20 pm
loyalfromlondon

I kinda use the term guilty pleasure to describe films that are artistically or thematically bankrupt but I love them anyway. I guess I feel guilt in that I acknowledge that it's not a 'great' film but I still love it anyway.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:37 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Face it, Revolutionary War movies almost always suck, this one was not only entertaining it at least had real facts. Its not like just the wife burned, the whole town burned for not giving up a secret. The acting is great and the set pieces are very effective. Better than Troy and certainly better than 300.

a definite A from me.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:16 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Is there some sort of noxious gas leak in here?

The Patriot isn't just bad; it's abhorrent.

Thegun wrote:
Face it, Revolutionary War movies almost always suck, this one was not only entertaining it at least had real facts.

Real facts? Like those slaves Mel had? Oh, did I say slaves? 'Cause I meant to say happy family. A man in that time and place would never have slaves! Slavery is bad and stuff.

Preach on, Squee! It was all downhill from your initial, good summary of this junk.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:26 am
Cream of the Crop

Superb.

A

Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I loved it, so sue me. Am I aware of the fact that this movie is as historically correct as 300? Pretty much, yeah. Is it overdramatizing? Sure. Does it paint too much in blac 'n white? Hit. But it's also a whole lot of fun, paired with some excellent acting and great technical values. I certainly enjoyed it more than any big summer blockbuster this year. The Patriot is a popcorn equivalent to a more serious Gladiator. It's a worse movie on itself, but an equally enjoyable one.

The battle scenes are very well-filmed, Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger both deliver well in the acting department and Jason Isaacs poses a formidable (though one-sided) villain. It's a popcorn affair, but a great one.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

I could forgive that it is patriotic, clichéd and cheesy. But being so incredibly boring seals the deal. D

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]