Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Gattaca 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 20 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 9 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 30

Gattaca 
College Boy Z

Post Gattaca
Gattaca

Quote:
Gattaca is a 1997 American science fiction film written and directed by Andrew Niccol. It stars Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman and Jude Law with supporting roles played by Loren Dean, Ernest Borgnine, Gore Vidal and Alan Arkin.[1] The film was a 1997 nominee for the Academy Award for Best Art Direction — Set Decoration.

The film presents a vision of a society driven by liberal eugenics where potential children are selected through preimplantation genetic diagnosis to ensure they possess the best hereditary traits of their parents. A genetic registry database uses biometrics to instantly identify and classify those so created as "valids" while those conceived by traditional means are derisively known as "in-valids". While genetic discrimination is forbidden by law, in practice it is easy to profile a person's genotype resulting in the Valids qualifying for professional employment while the In-Valids (who are considered to be more susceptible to physical, intellectual and psychological dysfunction and under-performance) are relegated to menial jobs. The movie draws on concerns over reproductive technologies which facilitate eugenics, and the possible consequences of such technological developments for society. It also explores the idea of human spirit and the ways in which it can and does govern lives. Characters in Gattaca continually battle both with the society and with themselves to find their place in the world and who they are destined to be according to their genes.

The title is based on the initial letters of the four DNA nitrogenous bases (adenine, cytosine, guanine, and thymine). During the credits the letters G, C, T, and A are all highlighted.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:10 pm
Veteran

Very good science fiction movie. It makes some interesting comments on our society's obsession with perfection. Didn't the writer/director also write The Truman Show? He writes some insightful scripts. Ethan Hawke is good in this, but Uma does little besides look beautiful (and that's a strectch). My grade: B+.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Gattaca is great SciFi on a tight budget. It looks good, feels good, and does what all good SciFi does: comments on important issues in today's society- namely genetics.

The acting is good, the story is strong, and the look is just right. I'd give it an A-. It's one of my favorite SciFi flicks.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Killing With Kindness

Strange but definately good film, BJ highly recomends it ti Sci-Fi fans :wink:

BJs Grade:

B+

Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Strange but definately good film, BJ highly recomends it ti Sci-Fi fans :wink:

BJs Grade:

B+

Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:30 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This movie is almost as perfect as intelligent sci-fi can get. I loved it the first time I saw it, but the repeat viewings made me appreciate it even more. It might be not very original (just think Brave New World and similar), but the way this sci-fi dystopia is put in scene is astounding and oftentimes unique. The actors shine in their roles, especially Jude Law who fully deserved an Oscar nomination for his performance. The sterile art design look fits the movie perfectly. Cinematography is artfully great and the direction is pitch-perfect. This movie is visionary and will go down as a classic of sci-fi cinema one day, in my opinion. The ending rounds up the movie perfectly.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:14 am
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

A wonderful film, with real meaning, strong acting, and simply a great theme. It gives such a seemingly realistic view of the future, and gives me the chills to think that someday our society will discriminate not against our gender, race, or religion, but our genes. A highly underrated film.

PEACE, Mike.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:31 am
Extraordinary

Not a strong film for me. COnceptually, I liked how the film *tried* to explore the human as subservient/useless/hidden. But it didn't work. It descended all too quickly into a cat and mouse game, and made Hawk to meticulous in his space. It didn't seem feasable to comb an area unless one already expects infiltration. If so, why bother to go about it in such an unmethodicle way. The storyline and technology being suggested weren't compatable. That and the swimming resolution was so saccharine and weak. I saw it a long time ago, and don't really remember hating it. I just didn't find it all that smart, or as an action/adventure..all that nerve-wracking.

C+/B-

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:34 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

This is one of my favourite films. I absolutely love everything about it. Its visually stunning (all the better considering its budget) and Ethan Hawke gives a great performance - as does Jude Law in one of his early performances. It delves into issues such as genetics, class systems, discrimination, the quest for human perfection and both fulfilled and unfulfilled dreams. My no.1 film of 1997.

Grade: A+

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed May 31, 2006 9:12 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Love it as a science fiction and mystery film. Great performances all around.

Wed May 31, 2006 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Definitely a film that gets better with age. I love me my sci-fi noirs, so of course I am predisposed to love this film, but what makes this film different is its message. It's very subdued and quiet, but its commentary on humanity and science is quite moving and is quickly becoming more and more relevant. The visuals are nothing noteworthy, even if they're quite beautiful, and the acting - apart from Jude Law, who is terrific - is nothing special, but the story that is told - complete with the fantastic dialogue - makes this film all the better. It's not flashy, it's not very original, and it's not exceptionally visionary, but it is a very moving film and one of the best sci-fi flicks of the past ten years.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 31, 2006 9:40 pm
Draughty

Back when I saw this, I thought Jude Law was going to become a truly great actor, he impressed me in this movie. But instead he became a pretty mediocre actor riding on shallow looks. As to this movie, it doesn't quite work, and the lead is too bland, but it is better made than the vast majority of science fiction films so it stands out in that sense.

Wed May 31, 2006 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:17 am
Cream of the Crop

Still one of my personal favorites.. :smile: A

And someone has to mention Mychael Nyman's brilliant score (which was totally robbed of an Oscar nom and even win that year), tsc..

Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:27 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Back when I saw this, I thought Jude Law was going to become a truly great actor, he impressed me in this movie. But instead he became a pretty mediocre actor riding on shallow looks. As to this movie, it doesn't quite work, and the lead is too bland, but it is better made than the vast majority of science fiction films so it stands out in that sense.

I think Law is doing quite well as an actor. I agree that his role in Gattaca is prbably his best to date, but he was great in Talented Mr. Ripley.

Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:18 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Awsome movie, The one of the few Jude law films I like

A

Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:06 am
Draughty

Archie Gates wrote:

I think Law is doing quite well as an actor. I agree that his role in Gattaca is prbably his best to date, but he was great in Talented Mr. Ripley.

He's making money and he's still talented, but it's just that I had hopes he'd be another Michael Caine in terms of career and being in good films. I think he needs to take more roles that de-emphasize his good looks if he wants to break free of the niche Hollywood is putting him in. Films like the upcoming Holiday are just what he should not be doing IMO.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

i really liked this movie. smart and pre-jude law over exposure.

B+

...we watched it in my biology class sophmore year. haha

1. The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Rushmore
5. Being John Malkovich

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

A hidden gem. I forget how exactly I came to see this movie, but it surprised me at its quality.

:glare:

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:35 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Archie Gates wrote:

He's making money and he's still talented, but it's just that I had hopes he'd be another Michael Caine in terms of career and being in good films. I think he needs to take more roles that de-emphasize his good looks if he wants to break free of the niche Hollywood is putting him in. Films like the upcoming Holiday are just what he should not be doing IMO.

Well, I think he is picking his movies pretty well with Closer, Cold Mountain... The Holiday is just one of the "fun" films that every actor does every now and then.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

it was a good film. Saw it in my English class. It was pretty great writing.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:03 pm
Sbil

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:32 pm

Best Sci-Fi film ever and in my all time top ten.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:37 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Gattaca
A film that grows with age. When you break it down to raw form its a simple detective story wrapped up in interesting sci-fi concepts. But when its pulled off this well it ends up being more then the sum of its parts.

A

Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:09 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re:
dolcevita wrote:
Not a strong film for me. COnceptually, I liked how the film *tried* to explore the human as subservient/useless/hidden. But it didn't work. It descended all too quickly into a cat and mouse game, and made Hawk to meticulous in his space. It didn't seem feasable to comb an area unless one already expects infiltration. If so, why bother to go about it in such an unmethodicle way. The storyline and technology being suggested weren't compatable. That and the swimming resolution was so saccharine and weak. I saw it a long time ago, and don't really remember hating it. I just didn't find it all that smart, or as an action/adventure..all that nerve-wracking.

C+/B-

Gotta agree with dv on this one - - I didn't see it in it's original theatrical run, and had heard the world about it, but ended up disappointed. Great idea/good movie.

Quite over-rated.

3 out of 5.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next