Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 90  Next
 The Tennis Thread 
Squee

It is funny how every single year the ESPN guys are always, for some reason, surprised at how badly the American men play at the french open, and completely overreact, with stupid questions like "Is Roddick's career dissapointing?" after he loses in the French Open, where he is ALWAYS bad. His game isnt meant for the French Open and neither, apparently, are the rest of the American men. It is not a surprise when they lose, stop treating it like it's the end of American tennis forever.

:glare:

Sun May 29, 2005 6:09 pm
Cream of the Crop

That's right ESPN always seems surprised whenever Roddick or Agassi loses, no matter the surface. This is especially annoying with Roddick. They built him up so much to be the greatest thing in Tennis, and he's done what exactly? Oh yeah a US Open in 03, when he got a call on match point down in the SF, some saviour. Maybe if he can stop getting his assed handed to him by Federer or get thrown off his game by someone asking him to hurry up during a bathroom break, then he may be worthy of some adulation, but not now. It is stupid for ESPN to be disappointed with a poor showing at RG, I think his best showing was a QF in 2001 or some thing like that, the past few years its been 2r, 1r, 2r. Not exactly a stellar record. His game just isn't suited for clay, a big serve and a big forehand with no backhand, little patience and poor footwork doesn't spell French Open Champion. Maybe if Federer is injuired he'll win Wimbledon.

Sun May 29, 2005 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

That's right ESPN always seems surprised whenever Roddick or Agassi loses, no matter the surface. This is especially annoying with Roddick. They built him up so much to be the greatest thing in Tennis, and he's done what exactly? Oh yeah a US Open in 03, when he got a call on match point down in the SF, some saviour. Maybe if he can stop getting his assed handed to him by Federer or get thrown off his game by someone asking him to hurry up during a bathroom break, then he may be worthy of some adulation, .

No one can stop getting their asses handed to them by Federer currently. I will be quite surprised when Roddick, or if Roddick, beats Federer in a Grand Slam final. Federer is just too good.

Clearly, Roddick's problem is that he isnt dating Mandy Moore anymore.

Grand Slam championships won with Mandy Moore in the audience? 1
Grand Slam championships won without Mandy Moore in the audience? 0

Sun May 29, 2005 6:48 pm
Extraordinary

Wow, all the 5-setters (on the men side) and 3-setters (on the women side) are getting very exciting. Henin needed 3 hours. Coria lost. Hopefully Safin can come back.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon May 30, 2005 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Watching JHH/Kuznetsova this morning was like watching a Williams Sisters final. Errors all over the place, I think both ended with more than 55. For a good portion of the match Justine couldn't get a first serve in, they said her % was 46 at one point and from what I saw that was surprising. She saved two match points in the third set at 3-5 and won the next 4 games for a 7-6, 4-6, 7-5 victory. Definitely not the best tennis I've seen, but still entertaining. If only for the fact that JHH won, and I wanted her too.

On the men's side, Coria, Gaudio got knocked out. Coria got booted in 4 by Davydenko and Gaudio in 5 by Ferrer - who at one point was down 0-4. So no repeat champion and unless Marat manages to get his head on straight, the winner of the projected semi between Federer and Nadal will almost assuredly hold the RG title up on Sunday.

Mon May 30, 2005 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Rafael Nadal is just scary, man. Too bad they can't re-seed the final four in the semifinal and ensure a Federer-Nadal final. Well, their semifinal match is the real final anyway.

And looks like Henin has this one in the bag on the women side.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Tue May 31, 2005 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

And looks like Henin has this one in the bag on the women side.

She did really well today agasint Sharapova, a much better match that yesterday. She should come out of the bottom half, Petrova is a strong player, but if Henin-Hardenne plays anything like today it should be another straight sets victory. Pierce in the top half looked fantastic against Davenport, who never looked comfortable all tournament. The two former RG championships look to be headed for a Saturday showdown - that could be some final.

Federer's going to have to serve a lot better than he did today if he wants to beat Nadal.

ETA: Wel lthe women's final is set, and a sexpected it's Pierce v. Henin-Hardenne. A battle of former champions, 2000 for Pierce and 2003 for JHH. Pierce is playing really really well and has been painting lines for the past two rounds, she was very tough today taking Likhotseva out 1 and 1. Henin really just let Petrova self destruct, Henin wasn't playing magnificent but when your opponent is making error after error you don't have to do anything special. Henin will have to raise her game to beat Pierce, but Pierce hasn't yet played anyone who could move her around the court like JHH. Henin is a better mover, has more variety and is only a bit less powerful than Pierce, so I see JHH raising the trophy once again on Saturday after 2 tough sets.

Can't wait for Nadal v. Federer tomorrow, I really want Federer to win.

Tue May 31, 2005 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Can't wait for Nadal v. Federer tomorrow, I really want Federer to win.

\:D/

:wink: Sorry, had to do that. Nadal is the winner!

What Mixed Drink Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatmixeddrinkareyouquiz/

Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I think Nadal stands as good a chance as any of the men. I like to watch him, i enjoy his style of play and it would be great to see him win this one.

Good call. Hope you enjoyed it! :wink:

What Mixed Drink Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatmixeddrinkareyouquiz/

Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

I wonder how Nadal will do in wimbledon. Is he any good on grass?

Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Let's start a prediction game on who will win Wimbledon.

Males: Federer

Females: Serena

Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I wonder how Nadal will do in wimbledon. Is he any good on grass?

Nadal's winning streak ended yesterday on gross in the first round. That's with all the excitement after French Open title, so he will certainly perform better in two weeks, but Federer is the odd-on favorite to win at Wimbledon.

Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Male: Federer

Female: Shocker, Diementieva! I really want her to win one. Her serve is so bad, but she still manages to do so well at tournaments. I'd like to see her pull out a major.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:15 am
Cream of the Crop

Female: Shocker, Diementieva! I really want her to win one. Her serve is so bad, but she still manages to do so well at tournaments. I'd like to see her pull out a major.

Why don't we just go full blown crazy and say Myskina's winning the Championships. Although I wouldn't be opposed to Dementieva winning a major, her serve is hilarious but she has some really great groundstrokes, I don't see it coming at W. Serena, JHH, Sharapova are my three favourites for the title for the women.

The men I still say Federer, but he hasn't looked as sharp as he did last year, so I could see Roddick pulling out a major if his serve is working well, and if he doesn't draw Lubjcic. I still want Federer to win and Hewitt to lose very, very early.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:23 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Federer just won the tournament in Halle (Germany). He's in top form and I think he will win Wimbledon. Roddick doesn't stand a chance against him, no matter how often he twitches his shirt.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:00 am
Profile WWW
Squee

Federer just won the tournament in Halle (Germany). He's in top form and I think he will win Wimbledon. Roddick doesn't stand a chance against him, no matter how often he twitches his shirt.

Roddick just won Queens! But I think you're right. I was surprised when he actually got somewhat close to Federer in last year's Wimbledon, taking him to 4 sets, but still, Federer will win unless he is WAAAAAAYY off his game.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:02 pm

Squee wrote:

Why don't we just go full blown crazy and say Myskina's winning the Championships. Although I wouldn't be opposed to Dementieva winning a major, her serve is hilarious but she has some really great groundstrokes, I don't see it coming at W. Serena, JHH, Sharapova are my three favourites for the title for the women.

The men I still say Federer, but he hasn't looked as sharp as he did last year, so I could see Roddick pulling out a major if his serve is working well, and if he doesn't draw Lubjcic. I still want Federer to win and Hewitt to lose very, very early.

=D>

I HATE Hewitt.

C'mon Federer, time to stop dicking around this year.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:01 pm
Cream of the Crop

Well the Wimbledon Draw came out today, so here are the projected 4th round match ups in both the Ladies and Gentlemen's Draws:

Ladies Projected Round of 16 Matches

Lindsay Davenport USA (1) v. Kim Clijsters BEL (15)
Patty Schnyder SUI (10) v. Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS (5)
Amelie Mauresmo FRA (3) v. Elena Likhovtseva RUS (13)
Anastasia Myskina RUS (9) v. Elena Dementieva RUS (6)
------------------------------------------------------
Justine Henin-Hardenne BEL (7) v. Mary Pierce FRA (12)
Venus Williams USA (14) v. Serena Williams USA (4)
Nadia Petrova RUS (8) v. Vera Zvonareva RUS (11)
Nathalie Dechy FRA (16) v. Maria Sharapova RUS (2)

Two of the favourites for the title, Serena and JHH got really screwed. An All Williams 4r with the winner to meet most likely JHH? Whoever emerges from that quarter should be considered a big favourite to take the crown. The number one seed also didn't get any favours drawing Kim again in the round of 16. Lindsay will be the favourite in this match unlike at RG, but could Kim pull off an upset? Tough match either way. Surprise, surprise, Maursemo gets a cakewalk of a draw to the Semis. Three russians, with only Dementieva who could give her problems and she may be injured. Sharapova got off easy too, except for being the in the wrong half, but c'mon Dechy? then the winner of Petrova/Zvonareva for a spot in the Semis?

Gentlemens Projected Round of 16 Matches

Roger Federer SUI (1) v. Tommy Robredro ESP (13)
Joachim Johansson SWE (11) v. Nikolay Davydenko RUS (8)
Lleyton Hewitt AUS (3) v. Mariano Puerta ARG (16)
Mario Ancic CRO (10) v. Marat Safin RUS (5)
--------------------------------------------------------
Guillermo Canas ARG (7) v. Thomas Johansson SWE (12)
Radek Stepanek CZE (14) v. Rafael Nadal ESP (4)
Tim Henman GBR (6) v. Sebastien Grosjean FRA (9)
Guillermo Coria ARG (15) v. Andy Roddick USA (2)

Federer should be in cruise control until a QF against the hard serving Johansson but in the past Federer has had little trouble with him so a SF with Hewitt or Safin should be likely...Unless Ancic who is a solid player at Wimbledon comes out and has a nice run. I think for the first semi finalist in the bottom half it's gonna be a surprise, I don't see any of those four seeds getting to it, probably some heavy server or serve and volleyer will emerge and be the surprise semifinalist this year. The other semi finalist will most likely be Roddick who has a good draw, but has Karlovic and Ljubicic lurking around his quarter but seeded lower than Coria. Those are two names he will have to look out for. I think the Gentlemens draw is a lot more even than the Ladies.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

Andrew wrote:

I think Nadal stands as good a chance as any of the men. I like to watch him, i enjoy his style of play and it would be great to see him win this one.

Good call. Hope you enjoyed it! :wink:

I did enjoy it, thanks :wink:

Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:14 am
Lover of Bacon

My predictions:

Womens Contenders

1 Sharapova
2 JHH
3 Serena

Outside chance: Davenport

Mens Contenders

1 Federer
2 Rodick
3 Hewitt

Outside change: Henman/Ancic

I would go into more detail why i think these are the main contenders but i dont really have time as i am at work. Sharapova looks off to a good start with an easy win in round 1. I Suppose Henmania will be kicking off again any time now :roll:

The worst news of all though is that i won't be able ot make it to the championships this year, such a waste!!! :cry:

Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:17 am
Lover of Bacon

PS, i hope JHH loses early, i just plain don't like her. Which of course means she will take the title :roll:

Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:22 am
Squee

PS, i hope JHH loses early, i just plain don't like her. Which of course means she will take the title :roll:

You got your wish. Not, please fullfill mine and have Dementieva win Wimbledon!

Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:19 pm
Extraordinary

Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

NOOOOOO!! Did she win?? I want to see Serena vs. Venus in 4th round!!

Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 90  Next