Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 About a Boy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 85%  85%  [ 11 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

About a Boy 
College Boy Z

Post About a Boy
About a Boy

Quote:
About a Boy is a 2002 comedy-drama film directed by brothers Chris Weitz and Paul Weitz, based on the novel of the same name by Nick Hornby. The film stars Golden Globe winner Hugh Grant as Will, Nicholas Hoult as Marcus, Academy Award nominee Toni Collette as Fiona, and Academy Award winner Rachel Weisz as Rachel. The film at times uses double voice-over narration, where the audience hears both Will's and Marcus's thoughts.

It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:06 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Well, this one's easy for movie... It's one of my favourite movies.

Cause It's sweet without being cheesy. Cause for once It makes Hugh Grant worthy of comparisons with Cary Grant. Cause it's funny as hell. Cause It's faithful to the spirit of the book without being a carbon-copy. Cause It has Toni Collete. Cause the soundtrack is wonderfully weird and charming. Cause It manages to be cynical and romantic at the same time. Cause It can make you both laugh and cry. And mostly cause I can not think of one single reason to dislike this movie.

It's the best romantic comedy of the decade so far for me. Probably just the best comedy, period. Anybody who disagree... WANNA FIGHT, UH? :wink:

What Mixed Drink Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatmixeddrinkareyouquiz/

Last edited by dar on Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************

Touching, funny, romantic, etc.

Ok Maybe very good or great romantic comedy.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

ABOUT A BOY (2002)

"About A Boy" came as a real surprise to me; it looked good, but I still wasn't expecting much from it. However, it ended up being a funny, touching, and incredibly entertaining film.

I wasn't the biggest Hugh Grant fan before this, but he amazed me here and gave one of the year's best performances. He was incredibly charming. After seeing him here I'm a fan. Newcomer Nicholas Hoult did a very nice job as well. The chemistry between the two was simply wonderful. I also really liked the character of Ellie, played by Nat Gastiain Tena.

"About A Boy" is one of 2002's best and most underrated films. It's a real gem. I highly recommend it.

Grade: 9/10 (A-)

Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:53 pm
Forum General

It's been awhile since I've seen this. I didn't like it much when I first saw it but it's been on tv a lot, I'll have to watch it again but for now, my old rating stands.

6/10 (C+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun May 22, 2005 3:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Laugh out lou funny, and everything else you'd want in a great romantic comedy...or a great movie for that matter.

A

Best Actress 2008

Sun May 22, 2005 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Very good. Hugh Grant is just marvelous here. B+

Sun May 22, 2005 9:16 pm
College Boy T

It's one of my favorites. It's not the typical sappy crap. Yeah, there's a happy ending, but there's much much more than just cheap little charms.

A

Sun May 22, 2005 9:18 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************

ABOUT A BOY (2002)

"About A Boy" came as a real surprise to me; it looked good, but I still wasn't expecting much from it. However, it ended up being a funny, touching, and incredibly entertaining film.

I wasn't the biggest Hugh Grant fan before this, but he amazed me here and gave one of the year's best performances. He was incredibly charming. After seeing him here I'm a fan. Newcomer Nicholas Hoult did a very nice job as well. The chemistry between the two was simply wonderful. I also really liked the character of Ellie, played by Nat Gastiain Tena.

"About A Boy" is one of 2002's best and most underrated films. It's a real gem. I highly recommend it.

Grade: 9/10 (A-)

That movie poster might have been a Box Office mistake.

Movie deserved more BO than it got.

Sun May 22, 2005 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Pretty good. I always have trouble with light romanticizing comedy, so my initial disdain for "corny" scenes like the end performance need to be held in check. They fit quite nicely for the tone and material, and I found About a Boy to be quite touching as the story of a man that goes looking for one thing, and finds another. In his quest for the perfect woman and the bachelor's life, Grant never really opens up to anyone. So of course its a little boy that breaks through the mold, and allows Grant to see beyond his cd's, leather sofa, and aloof self-understanding. Nice monologues by Grant throughout the movie, I usually don't like voice-overs, but this movie was meant to hand the story to the viewer without a fight, so it works well. Up beat and sympathetic, I give it an A-.

Mon May 23, 2005 2:42 pm
You must have big rats

A really good movie and while it is not a faithful adaptation of the novel, it remains true to the spirit of the book and captures its message well. I still remain a bigger fan of the book than of the movie because I thought that the final part of the movie was handled a bit cheesy in the movie and not so much in the book, but other than that it's a good adaptation and Hugh Grant was a PERFECT pick for the lead and Nicholas Hoult makes a great impression as Marcus. Really, all the characters were very well-cast for the movie. The movie is pretty funny, even if the humor is more of a background and a quiet one. It is a sweet flick. Not a masterpiece, but really good.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Iron Man

A brilliant comedy/drama. Hugh Grant is fantastic here(maybe even award worthy). It's both very funny and touching. I loved it. A

Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:28 am
All Star Poster

This movie is awsome, one of the best I've ever seen. Its one of my favorites of the thousands, and makes my top 30 films of all time.

A+

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:17 am
Romosexual!

B+

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:22 am
Devil's Advocate

Love it, touching and funny, with Grant's best work ever.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:56 am
htm

Excellent charmer. Hugh Grant does his best work here, turning in a layered, unique, and commendable performance. The whole cast really shines, especially Toni Collette. I'm a huge fan of About a Boy, and if you haven't seen it, you really are missing are really stand-out dramedy.

A

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:46 pm
life begins now

A surprisingly excellent and hilarious film. Hugh Grant and Toni Collette shine.

A-

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:55 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

This one didn't work for me. Came off as a series of false notes. Blech...

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:25 am
You must have big rats

This is one film that certainly grew on me even more on repeat viewing. I doubt Hugh Grant will ever top himself in this one. The book is very good two and while they are somewhat different in the content, the film is very true to the novel's spirit.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Re: About a Boy
B

A film that blew me away.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:35 pm
life begins now

dr getluv wrote:
B

A film that blew me away.

blew you away and only a B?

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:55 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is so good and rewatchable movie. Hugh Grant is just so amazing in this and Nicholas Hoult matches him equally well. Toni Collete and Rachel Weisz are great in their small roles as well. I haven't read the novel but every time I see this movie I feel the urge to read it. The story does feel a little bit scripted at times but nothing that hampers the flow of the movie.

A

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]