Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Locked Down 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Locked Down 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Locked Down
Quote:
Locked Down is a 2021 American romantic comedy heist film directed by Doug Liman and written by Steven Knight. The film stars Anne Hathaway, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Stephen Merchant, Mindy Kaling, Lucy Boynton, Dulé Hill, Jazmyn Simon, with Ben Stiller, and Ben Kingsley.

Locked Down was released in the United States on January 14, 2021, by HBO Max.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:16 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Locked Down
Boring and completely misguided mess of a movie that tries hard to take benefit of the pandemic but comes out as pretentious. Anne Hathaway and Chiwetel Ejiofor play each other well but there is not enough substance in the movie till the final third to carry an almost 2 hours movie which feels like 3+ hour movie. The interesting bits of the movie are when the two actors are not "Locked Down". The worst mistake is the failure to bring out the love of two characters who are co-dependent on each other during the pandemic.

C-

Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:42 pm
Forum General

It's not the worst film ever and I doubt it will be one of the worst films I've seen this year, but man was this a mess and I should have expected as much given that so far no one has said a single positive thing about it, but I was still somewhat curious I guess and yeah it ended up being a complete waste of time.

I don't think I've ever seen two great actors be as wasted as this and Im still puzzled as to why Anne Hathaway and Chiwetel Ejiofor even agreed to be in something like this other than not having anything else better to do and collecting a quick paycheck.

As much hate as Songbird got for being explotive this felt even more explotive IMO and what makes it worse is how souless and dull the film is. I atleast got some entertainment value out of Songbird, but almost nothing out of this.

C-

Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:20 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually liked the performances here a lot. Anne in particular is great, I loved her big monologue in the middle and would argue this is one of her best performances in a while. But the movie does get repetitive and dull after a while and doesn't really go anywhere. The last half hour is the best part. It's forgettable fluff but I didn't hate it. B-

Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:37 am
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

I think this is perhaps being a bit too harshly reviewed, however it's simply not that good either. There's some nice jokes, the Edgar Allen Poe gag works and its fun seeing "Sonic" in the credits which also includes an after-scene with Ejiofor making bread that I liked, but I found him not really good in the film (though it's much improved over his role in The Old Guard), or maybe it was just his character I disliked. Hathaway on the other hand is very good though and the supporting cast mostly brings a good dash of humor as well, especially Kingsley. But the story and mainly the dialogue is just a bit of a drag. On the one hand this lock down experience brings up some relatable moments, the zoom calls, with its lag are pretty spot on, but it also comes across as forced. And the heist is just not that exciting either, but Ejiofor and Hathaway play better of each during this part then while they're at the house. The part where the guy Hathaway fired gives them a free pass to escape feels unfathomable, mainly because of how he explains himself through a monologue to do so is pretty bleh. So basically, it has some entertaining aspects, but falters on the story telling.

C+

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]