Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Demon Slayer Obliterating Record Books
Don't be concerned with this Wednesday. Tuesday started off very strong yesterday from the holiday spillover before slowing down (it was down in the single-digits digits in he morning/afternoon), especially in the evening. Wednesday will definitely still beat Tuesday, it'll just be a little closer than it has been.

And this is also part of the giveaway announcement effect. As I mentioned yesterday, a lot of people wanting to see it for either their first time, but especially for a second time (or more), are likely to hold off until Saturday due to the giveaway. This negative impact is going to be noticeable on the weekdays heading into a giveaway weekend now that the numbers have come out of the stratosphere.

And Saturday is going to be huge, guys. It's already reaching 50%+ full showings 3 days in advance. I don't want to over-estimate it, but it's doing to squash this past Saturday and even Sunday, too.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And guys... even without New Year, this film is going to surpass Spirited Away with ease. It's going to surpass it before even reaching the holiday period, or at the worst, at the very start of the holiday period. It's not going to suddenly die. Once its numbers do begin to drop to say, ¥500 million or something on the weekends, it will still easily earn ¥3 billion or more from there.

Is this what one potential 30/35% drop on a random weekday, which is likely the result of people waiting until Saturday (giveaway), does? C'mon, guys.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:07 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

squash ? I hope so

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:09 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Doesn't need any hope when showtimes for Saturday have already begun to reach 50% full or more less than a day of them being up for reservation and 3 days away. It's even the only film Toho Cinemas (haven't checked the others yet) have Saturday reservations up for right now given the demand.

And it's gotten the biggest screen and the majority of the IMAX screens back for the weekend.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Corpse wrote:
And guys... even without New Year, this film is going to surpass Spirited Away with ease. It's going to surpass it before even reaching the holiday period, or at the worst, at the very start of the holiday period. It's not going to suddenly die. Once its numbers do begin to drop to say, ¥500 million or something on the weekends, it will still easily earn ¥3 billion or more from there.

Is this what one potential 30/35% drop on a random weekday, which is likely the result of people waiting until Saturday (giveaway), does? C'mon, guys.

Exactly. It has a freaking ¥10 billion lead on Spirited Away at this point. Even without holidays, it would take an almost unprecedented and epic collapse to miss it at this point.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:16 am
Indiana Jones IV

Kind of a disappointment at this point, tbh. It should have been at ¥40b already :disgust:

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:39 am
Star Trek XI

What does the blue circle and orange circle mean (Toho theather chain website) ?

Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:55 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Steve wrote:
Kind of a disappointment at this point, tbh. It should have been at ¥40b already :disgust:

:funny:

Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:07 am
Star Trek XI

Just went to Toho cinema chain website and checked all the showings available on this coming Saturday and they are all at 50%+ full. The blue circle mark is 50% full, fight?

Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:29 am
Star Trek XI

Corpse wrote:

I am not saying it wouldn't have done without New Year, but it would be quite close. This week will be around 2Bn, a week boosted by holiday and stronger than usual Sunday, a 25% weekly drop would take it to 32.4Bn, which would be 700mn more than SA but thanks to New Year and Xmas it will go to 35Bn.

Again repeating I am not saying it wouldn't have missed in case there was no Xmas New Year boost but it would have been much closer.

Corpse wrote:

I did said on Saturday itself that we are gonna see weekly 35% drops after Monday.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:39 am
Full Fledged Member

charlie jat wrote:
Corpse wrote:

I am not saying it wouldn't have done without New Year, but it would be quite close. This week will be around 2Bn, a week boosted by holiday and stronger than usual Sunday, a 25% weekly drop would take it to 32.4Bn, which would be 700mn more than SA but thanks to New Year and Xmas it will go to 35Bn.

Again repeating I am not saying it wouldn't have missed in case there was no Xmas New Year boost but it would have been much closer.

Corpse wrote:

I did said on Saturday itself that we are gonna see weekly 35% drops after Monday.

To be quite honest, this argument really makes no sense to me. Every movie has some ups and downs in its run, its boosts and its brakes etc. Saying that it wouldn't have beaten Spirited Away (or that it would be close) is like saying Spirited Away wouldn't have beaten Titanic if it didn't have Summer weekdays + Obon festival. If you try to take away the upcoming NY holiday boost to be "fair", you would also have to take away the summer advantage + Obon festival from Spirited Away and in that case, Demon Slayer still wins handily. Though I don't really think you should do either, as every movie's run is unique.

There are definitely some times when an advantage or a disadvantage can be considered "unfair" though but imo that's only the case if it comes from an external source (such as Disney deliberately killing Frozen's momentum by announcing the home video release).

Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:11 am
Wall-E

Alo12345 wrote:
Just went to Toho cinema chain website and checked all the showings available on this coming Saturday and they are all at 50%+ full. The blue circle mark is 50% full, fight?

No, blue circle is normal (<50% filled). IIRC red circle is over 50% and red triangle is over 80%. I'm not quite sure what you're hoping to see by checking presales for a 7th saturday on wednesday, though...

Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:26 am
Full Fledged Member

red triangle is over 75% i think

Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:42 am
Star Trek XI

JustLurking wrote:
Alo12345 wrote:

No, blue circle is normal (<50% filled). IIRC red circle is over 50% and red triangle is over 80%. I'm not quite sure what you're hoping to see by checking presales for a 7th saturday on wednesday, though...

To check if people really wait until weekend to see this movie.... that can explain the drop on weeldays before it.

And Corpse said this "And Saturday is going to be huge, guys. It's already reaching 50%+ full showings 3 days in advance. I don't want to over-estimate it, but it's doing to squash this past Saturday and even Sunday, too." So I want to check...

Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:10 am
Star Trek XI

Agafin wrote:
Spoiler: show
charlie jat wrote:
Corpse wrote:

Corpse wrote:

To be quite honest, this argument really makes no sense to me. Every movie has some ups and downs in its run, its boosts and its brakes etc. Saying that it wouldn't have beaten Spirited Away (or that it would be close) is like saying Spirited Away wouldn't have beaten Titanic if it didn't have Summer weekdays + Obon festival. If you try to take away the upcoming NY holiday boost to be "fair", you would also have to take away the summer advantage + Obon festival from Spirited Away and in that case, Demon Slayer still wins handily. Though I don't really think you should do either, as every movie's run is unique.

There are definitely some times when an advantage or a disadvantage can be considered "unfair" though but imo that's only the case if it comes from an external source (such as Disney deliberately killing Frozen's momentum by announcing the home video release)

I didn't meant any of that. Not saying its unfair on SA or anything. I am just saying without New Year boost it could have been really really close.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:58 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I agree with Agafin, every run is unique, I do not think DS is going to win Oscar this year as well so there is a big difference in their runs due to different factors. DS has has no help thus far (other than COVID, which wasn't exactly a favorable factor before the release) and its not like DS has no competition from local screens but its just that the demand for this movie is so HUGE that theaters chose to keep it on these many screens (this weeks IMAX screen shuffle is a good example).

Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:25 am
Speed Racer

DS is positioned to get just about the minimum holiday boost that is possible in Japan anyway :funny:

Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:44 am
Star Trek XI

WandaLegion wrote:
DS is positioned to get just about the minimum holiday boost that is possible in Japan anyway :funny:

why only minimum? :wacko:

Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:49 am
Speed Racer

Alo12345 wrote:
WandaLegion wrote:

why only minimum? :wacko:

Because of the timing. No serious holiday benefit to speak of until Week 11/12 — you have to work hard to get a release date with that low a level of holiday boost, a random week would get much more on average.

So this whole conversation is very very strange to me — it’s not like good holiday benefit are what helps DS avoid a close finish with SA, rather bad holiday benefit is the only reason it will be as close as it will be in the first place.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:00 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I think the discussion as gotten confused a bit.

I believe what charlie ultimately means (correct me if I'm wrong, charlie), is that without New Year, while it's still going to surpass Spirited Away regardless, the holiday boost will simply allow it to do so without having a typically long run to do so that's common place in the market.

Alo12345: Check these locations:
https://hlo.tohotheater.jp/net/schedule ... 2000J01.do

These are some of the busiest locations, but the fact that they already have multiple showings at 50% full or more for Saturday, three days out, is very significant, especially for a SEVENTH Saturday. Last Saturday wasn't seeing what we call marked showings until Friday.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Corpse wrote:
I think the discussion as gotten confused a bit.

I believe what charlie ultimately means (correct me if I'm wrong, charlie), is that without New Year, while it's still going to surpass Spirited Away regardless, the holiday boost will simply allow it to do so without having a typically long run to do so that's common place in the market.

Thank You. :emo:

What I was trying to say that without the Christmas-New Year boost it would have been a much closer chase and these drops would have been more worrying but now we know there's a massive boost incoming which is going to take it well over SA, not a close chase.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:06 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Regarding all the holiday talk:

Demon Slayer opened in the worst month of the year. October is statistically the weakest month of the year, and between October and January 1st, there are TWO single-day holidays. Technically the last week of December can provide a boost to films that skew young enough, but that's still over 2 months away for October releases.

With the exception of Your Name., which also had a bad release date (last week of August), and sort of Howl's Moving Castle (mid/late-November is also a month out from holidays), but neither of those are close to October bad.

Every other film that has earned more than ¥15 billion benefitted from major holiday periods or summer.

Avatar - Immediately benefitted from Christmas/New Year.
Ponyo - Opened at the start of Summer Vacation and had Obon Festival 3/4 weeks later.
Harry Potter 2 - Opened three weeks out from Christmas/New Year.
Bayside Shakedown 2 - Opened at the start of Summer Vacation and had Obon Festival 3/4 weeks later.
Princess Mononoke - Opened at the start of Summer Vacation and had Obon Festival 3/4 weeks later.
Howl's Moving Castle - Didn't have a favorable release date, but still opened a month out from Christmas/New Year.
Harry Potter 1 - Opened three weeks out from Christmas/New Year.
Your Name. - Didn't have a favorable release date, but did have multiple holidays in September (Silver Week).
Frozen - Opened a week from Spring Break and had Golden Week 7 weeks after opening.
Titanic - Immediately benefited from Christmas/New Year (granted, this particular film was ultra-leggy, and probably didn't benefit much from the holidays so early on).
Spirited Away - Opened at the start of Summer Vacation and had Obon Festival 3/4 weeks later.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - Daily Performance Tracker

10/16 - Fri.: ¥1,268,724,700 ($12.0 million) / 910,507
10/17 - Sat.: ¥1,701,723,350 ($16.2 million) / 1,270,234
10/18 - Sun.: ¥1,652,669,400 ($15.7 million) / 1,239,752
10/19 - Mon.: ¥735,000,000 ($7.0 million) / 545,000
10/20 - Tues.: ¥545,000,000 ($5.1 million) / 395,000
10/21 - Wed.: ¥635,000,000 ($6.0 million) / 505,000
10/22 - Thur.: ¥465,000,000 ($4.5 million) / 340,000
10/23 - Fri.: ¥700,000,000 ($6.7 million) / 510,000
10/24 - Sat.: ¥1,500,944,600 ($14.3 million) / 1,115,182
10/25 - Sun.: ¥1,540,504,150 ($14.7 million) / 1,157,654
10/26 - Mon.: ¥620,000,000 ($5.9 million) / 460,000
10/27 - Tues.: ¥410,000,000 ($3.9 million) / 300,000
10/28 - Wed.: ¥575,000,000 ($5.5 million) / 430,000
10/29 - Thur.: ¥390,000,000 ($3.7 million) / 285,000
10/30 - Fri.: ¥555,000,000 ($5.3 million) / 405,000
10/31 - Sat.: ¥1,212,312,550 ($11.6 million) / 887,893
11/01 - Sun.: ¥1,286,354,600 ($12.3 million) / 1,140,390 *Discount Day*
11/02 - Mon: ¥820,000,000 ($7.8 million) / 605,000 *Holiday Boosted*
11/03 - Tues.: ¥1,185,000,000 ($11.3 million) / 900,000 *Holiday*
11/04 - Wed.: ¥350,000,000 ($3.3 million) / 260,000
11/05 - Thur.: ¥230,000,000 ($2.2 million) / 170,000
11/06 - Fri.: ¥325,000,000 ($3.1 million) / 240,000
11/07 - Sat.: ¥863,827,750 ($8.3 million) / 628,614
11/08 - Sun.: ¥909,098,150 ($8.8 million) / 667,179
11/09 - Mon.: ¥315,000,000 ($3.0 million) / 230,000
11/10 - Tues.: ¥220,000,000 ($2.1 million) / 160,000
11/11 - Wed.: ¥295,000,000 ($2.8 million) / 230,000
11/12 - Thur.: ¥200,000,000 ($1.9 million) / 145,000
11/13 - Fri.: ¥310,000,000 ($3.0 million) / 225,000
11/14 - Sat.: ¥795,343,500 ($7.6 million) / 611,418
11/15 - Sun.: ¥726,313,550 ($6.9 million) / 535,986
11/16 - Mon.: ¥265,000,000 ($2.5 million) / 195,000
11/17 - Tues.: ¥165,000,000 ($1.6 million) / 120,000
11/18 - Wed.: ¥240,000,000 ($2.3 million) / 185,000
11/19 - Thur.: ¥165,000,000 ($1.6 million) / 120,000
11/20 - Fri.: ¥240,000,000 ($2.3 million) / 170,000
11/21 - Sat.: ¥439,606,550 ($4.2 million) / 314,726
11/22 - Sun.: ¥592,738,550 ($5.7 million) / 433,315
11/23 - Mon.: ¥460,110,250 ($4.4 million) / 357,741 *Holiday*
11/24 - Tues.: ¥120,000,000 ($1.1 million) / 90,000 *est.*
11/25 - Wed.: ¥150,000,000 ($1.4 million) / 115,000 *est.*

41-Day Cumulative Total: ¥26,187,043,800 ($249.6 million) / 19,602,589

Note: Mon.-Fri. are estimates (excluding Holiday Mondays), therefore adding up each day won't equal the actual total.

Titanic holds onto its #2 all-time spot (revenue) for one more day, but Tokyo Olympiad has fallen to #4 all-time (admissions) now as Demon Slayer rises to #3.

After Saturday, Demon Slayer will be #2 all-time in both revenue and admissions.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:55 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Can anyone calculate boxoffice per population?

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:36 pm
Child Actor

Corpse wrote :
Quote:
Thanks for the weekly update! Broke 80 million physical copies for the year. And with digital, it must be pretty close to/over 100 million for the year alone.

Volume 23's first-print run almost needs to be 4.5 million, minimum, I feel. But I wonder if the immediate second-print run a week later is because they couldn't physically produce more than ~4 million for the first week.

Can't wait to see Shueisha's announcment on the lifetime circulation figure here soon either. Over 100 million back in September. I feel like it must be over 120 million, or 130 million+ by now.

Kimetsu no yaiba has 120 000 000 copies in circulation and volume 23 first print is 3 950 000. Too bad for us record lovers but we kinda expected it with the reprint scheduled only 6 days after its release.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620 ... 952  Next