Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 536, 537, 538, 539, 540, 541, 542 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Demon Slayer Aiming To Break OW Record
Its that continuation of the story that makes me think this will be frontloaded but then again its behaving at a phenom levels which means it will attract more casual audience craving for a good movie. Will be very interesting to track how this behaves.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:23 am
Wall-E

Hey Corpse, I've been lurking in the thread for a while. Keep up the good work!

Just wanted to chip in to clarify that the 100 mln number is actually a japan only circulation number (total print+digital sales), not worldwide sales, and the fuji tv broadcast last saturday was actually the first 5 episodes, while the mountain arc (episodes 15-21) will be broadcasted this saturday.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:56 am
Star Trek XI

I remember being surprised on that fact that films from early 2000s were on the top of the weekend records in Japan. Then I learnt about the previews and almost no inflation in movie tickets, so that made it somewhat digestible, though still weird.

Now that the record will finally fall officially, though it definitely fell technically with Yo Kai Watch and Frozen 2 for Sat-Sun and FSS, it feels good to witness history.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:11 am
Child Actor

Mimorin has released friday presales and it states that Demon Slayer film has sold 36% of its available seats at usual locations excluding Aeon cinemas.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:13 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah... It's so insane that Friday presales are being released! Its Friday presales are around 3x higher than any film's presales (Saturday) on record. If you add Aeon, its Friday presales are probably near 500,000. Aeon got a late start though from their online systems being down fot over 30 hours, so they'll likely have stronger walk-up buisness too.

The likelihood of it reaching 1 million admissions in a single day, the first time a film has done so in history, is looking better and better. And remember that if it does 1 million on Friday, then it'll also do it on Saturday (which will be even higher) and possibly on Sunday too. 3 million admissions in 3 days.

I'll have a presale chart posted soon.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

JustLurking wrote:
Hey Corpse, I've been lurking in the thread for a while. Keep up the good work!

Just wanted to chip in to clarify that the 100 mln number is actually a japan only circulation number (total print+digital sales), not worldwide sales, and the fuji tv broadcast last saturday was actually the first 5 episodes, while the mountain arc (episodes 15-21) will be broadcasted this saturday.

Thanks for clarifying. They must have changed that somewhat recently, because I'm pretty sure I read they were brodcasting the first half (1-13) one day and th3 second half (14-26) the next week. Unless that was a diffwrent channel, and Fuji had their own broadcast plans.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:44 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Highest Pre-Sales
Highest Single-Day Pre-Sales (2014-) [80,000+]

394,887 - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (2020)
260,329 - Yo-Kai Watch: It's the Secret of Birth, Nyan! (2014)
170,054 - Frozen II (2019)
138,795 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
134,399 - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)
133,265 - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
126,032 - Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
117,302 - Detective Conan: Crimson Love Letter (2017)
116,563 - Yo-Kai Watch: Great King Enma and the 5 Stories, Nyan! (2015)
114,570 - One Piece Film Gold (2016)
113,434 - Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer (2018)
106,945 - Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire (2019)
x94,641 - Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare (2016)
x93,216 - Beauty and the Beast (2017)
x92,166 - Avengers: Endgame (2019)
x91,384 - Weathering With You (2019)
x88,838 - Toy Story 4 (2019)
x85,557 - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)
x84,025 - Aladdin (2019)

First note: Pre-sales are recorded from ~50% of the market, and excludes Aeon Cinemas (which account for around 25% of the market). Aeon Cinemas was added to the tracking system just a couple years ago, so to keep pre-sale figures comparable, pre-sales continue to exclude them.

Second note: This is Friday's pre-sale number for Demon Slayer as of 6PM Thursday. Everything else on this list is the Saturday pre-sale figure since Saturday was either their first day, or because Saturday is always bigger than Friday since Friday is still a weekday. Also, Demon Slayer's number is out 12-hours earlier than when the Saturday pre-sales are reported (an hour or two before showings begin), so when (or if) the pre-sale figure is updated in the next 12-hours, it'll be even higher. However, theaters are opening at 6/7AM in the morning, so I don't think we'll get a closer report. It's also fair to say that the Saturday pre-sale number that'll be reported tomorrow as usual will be even higher than this Friday figure.

So, the pre-sales for Friday account for 36% of its overall available seating at ~50% of the market, and if we apply that 36% sell-rate to other locations, it's likely above 475,000 with Aeon included, and above 650,000 nationwide. 12 hours before showings begin, so it'll likely be around or above 700,000 before the day even begins.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Demon Slayer Obliterates Pre-Sale Reco
Pre-Opening Day Weekend Projection:

Friday: ¥1.30 billion ($12.3 million) / 1.0 million admissions
Saturday: ¥1.55 billion ($14.7 million) / 1.2 million admissions
Sunday: ¥1.25 billion ($11.9 million) / 950,000 admissions.

Opening Weekend: ¥2.8 billion ($26.6 million) / 2.1 million admissions.
3-Day Total: ¥4.1 billion ($38.5 million) / 3.1 million admissions.

Here's my pre-opening day/weekend projection. I will update this after Friday is over.

Obviously, biggest everything ever; opening day, opening weekend, and three-day total. Fastest film to all these milestones, by far. Its single days would be big enough to give it a respectable ranking on the all-time weekend charts. I'll have the Biggest Opening Weekend Chart updated here soon and post it.

We don't know what its average ticket will be until some official number comes out. Since it's going to break the opening day record, we may get a report about it before getting too deep into the weekend, otherwise we'll probably need to wait until Monday. It's rated PG-12 and is playing on every IMAX screen, which will boost it a bit, so I'm currently thinking it'll come in around ¥1,300 or a tad higher and am using that number.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:00 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Those numbers are crazy. Corpse would you say this is a bigger opening than Endgame's domestic $357m in comparison?

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:03 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I mean, I would say yes, but I don't know how much Endgame achieved in terms of capacity. Chances are a film in the U.S. could go much higher than $357 million if given a similar treatment as Demon Slayer in Japan.

Demon Slayer is playing at absolute maximum limit, and has gone beyond even that, honestly. The only way it could be playing any wider is if theaters would kick other films out and put it on their screens. It's already playing on 50% or more of all screens in the country. Another way is if theaters would become 24-hours to accommodate it, and almost all of them are already opening at 6AM to meet the demand. And the urban locations aren't far off from being open 24-hours, some are open 20-22 hours this weekend (6am-4am).

So it's maximized playing potential to previously unseen levels, but in addition to that and more importantly, it's actually managing to keep up by selling out everywhere despite this. You can have every seat but not sell them. It's probably going to end up selling 70% or more of ALL of its seats over the weekend.

The concession stands are breathing a HUGE sigh of relief that food isn't being allowed due to the virus. LOL. I couldn't begin to imagine the lines and insanity surrounding that. They'd probably run out of food, too, if they were selling concessions.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:14 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I meant in terms of gross comparison that you used to do but yeah I agree capacity wise Endgame could have had more than it got.

Oh it's a shame on concessions those are the biggest money makers for a theater.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I meant in terms of gross comparison that you used to do but yeah I agree capacity wise Endgame could have had more than it got.

It's hard to make that comparison, but I would respond with maybe. LOL. It's a little complicated. If we could look at the weekend frame only, then it's a big yes. The previews being added to opening weekends back in the day is where this question becomes cloudy.

I'll update the Biggest Opening Weekend Chart here in a bit so you and others can see the margin.

It's important to remember when I do post the chart that many of the biggest opening weekends in Japan came between 2002-2006 when previews (sometimes a week's worth) were being added to the actual weekend figures, greatly boosting them. And unfortunately, almost none of them had the previews reported separately, so you can't just deduct them. This is the main reason that the opening weekend record has belonged to The Matrix Reloaded since 2003, and why opening weekends in general look "smaller" in the last decade when they're really not over the traditional weekend frame itself. But despite the advantage older films had with previews, Demon Slayer is going to crush them regardless.

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Oh it's a shame on concessions those are the biggest money makers for a theater.

True, true, but it was a measure they had to implement in order to get back to 100% occupancy. Drinks are still allowed though, so they'll get a lot of money from them. Soft drinks have a 95% profit margin. A large soda sold at $5 is $4.50+ in profit.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
Pre-Opening Day Weekend Projection:

Friday: ¥1.30 billion ($12.3 million) / 1.0 million admissions
Saturday: ¥1.55 billion ($14.7 million) / 1.2 million admissions
Sunday: ¥1.25 billion ($11.9 million) / 950,000 admissions.

Opening Weekend: ¥2.8 billion ($26.6 million) / 2.1 million admissions.
3-Day Total: ¥4.1 billion ($38.5 million) / 3.1 million admissions.

What's a Corona? :funny:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The Japanese have clearly never heard of Corona, outside of it being a theater chain. (There's actually a cinema chain in Japan called Corona, by the way).

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

MATRIX RELOADED was 2 days plus previews, YO-KAI-WATCH was 2 days, so what's the biggest 3 day opener (admissions)?

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:53 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Corpse wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

It's hard to make that comparison, but I would respond with maybe. LOL. It's a little complicated. If we could look at the weekend frame only, then it's a big yes. The previews being added to opening weekends back in the day is where this question becomes cloudy.

I'll update the Biggest Opening Weekend Chart here in a bit so you and others can see the margin.

It's important to remember when I do post the chart that many of the biggest opening weekends in Japan came between 2002-2006 when previews (sometimes a week's worth) were being added to the actual weekend figures, greatly boosting them. And unfortunately, almost none of them had the previews reported separately, so you can't just deduct them. This is the main reason that the opening weekend record has belonged to The Matrix Reloaded since 2003, and why opening weekends in general look "smaller" in the last decade when they're really not over the traditional weekend frame itself. But despite the advantage older films had with previews, Demon Slayer is going to crush them regardless.

This part I already know thanks to all your past updates. Let me rephrase my question a little. For the opening weekend itself you used to convert an opening in US example $1b opening in Japan is equal to say $100m opening in US. I'm not sure what parameters you used to compare the two openings. Now in that comparison would this opening be bigger than Endgame's opening in USA.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:03 am
Child Actor

Corpse used to say that $50 million in Japan is equal to $250 million in USA.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:12 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

mark66 wrote:
MATRIX RELOADED was 2 days plus previews, YO-KAI-WATCH was 2 days, so what's the biggest 3 day opener (admissions)?

Interestingly, a lot of the older films (Hollywood releases) near the top of the biggest opening weekend chart were traditional Saturday openers. They then began to shift to Friday openings around 2006 before becoming regular Friday openers a year or two later. There had to be a reason for this, but I don't want to get into much speculating (it was probably related to preview disputes like in 2010 that ended previews being added to openings altogether).

If we're discussing the biggest 3-day opening as Fri.-Sun., as apposed to 3-day total (like Sat.-Mon.), then it belongs to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, earning ¥2,279,300,000 ($18.7 million). Annoyingly, its 3-day admissions weren't released, but using the 2-day admissions as a reference, its 3-day admissions were likely 1.62/1.63 million. Note: This was when Book 7 was released, so Potter-mania was at its peak.

In second place, it actually goes to Frozen II, earning ¥1,939,746,600 ($17.8 million) / 1,452,530 admissions) just last year.

And in a very, very close third place (though second in admissions), is Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, earning ¥1,938,977,200 ($15.9 million) / 1,486,413 admissions.

So yes, Demon Slayer: Mugen Train may very well double all these.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Anonymous 06 wrote:
Corpse used to say that $50 million in Japan is equal to $250 million in USA.

This is still roughly true if you look at the number of films that earn $50 million in Japan compared to the number of films that earn $250 million in the U.S., but only in total. I wouldn't apply this to opening weekends since Japan is on a 2-day system, and is a much leggier market.

I can try to put together an opening weekend equivalent chart, but it will be trickier to do.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: All-Time Opening Weekends
Here is the All-Time Opening Weekend Chart FINALLY updated. I've already included Demon Slayer: Mugen Train with a placeholder, early projection. Will adjust as the weekend progresses (it hasn't even begun!).

All-Time Opening Weekends (2-Day) - REVENUE

00. ~¥2,800,000,000+? ($26 million+?) - [1100+?] - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (2020) *Early Projection*
01. ¥2,222,854,550 ($18.8 million) - [631] - The Matrix Reloaded (2003) *w/previews*
02. ¥2,068,252,580 ($17.0 million) - [919] - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
03. ¥2,050,745,255 ($16.8 million) - [858] - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) *w/previews*
04. ¥1,944,562,960 ($16.6 million) - [760] - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) *w/previews*
05. ¥1,879,423,202 ($18.9 million) - [758] - Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) *w/previews*
06. ¥1,871,164,334 ($17.3 million) - [796] - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) *w/previews*
07. ¥1,644,716,870 ($15.1 million) - [841] - War of the Worlds (2005) *w/previews*
08. ¥1,628,893,000 ($14.0 million) - [408] - Yo-Kai Watch: It's the Secret of Birth, Nyan! (2014)
09. ¥1,617,608,800 ($15.0 million) - [638] - The Matrix Revolutions (2003) *w/previews*
10. ¥1,616,000,000 ($14.9 million) - [878] - Frozen II (2019)
11. ¥1,604,609,245 ($13.5 million) - [639] - Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002) *w/previews*
12. ¥1,550,280,200 ($12.4 million) - [578] - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
13. ¥1,542,985,506 ($14.8 million) - [729] - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2004) *w/previews*
14. ¥1,483,804,112 ($14.0 million) - [448] - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
15. ¥1,471,311,021 ($12.2 million) - [881] - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
16. ¥1,456,401,175 ($12.6 million) - [550] - Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) *w/previews*
17. ¥1,463,827,700 ($13.1 million) - [403] - Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire (2019)
18. ¥1,377,047,900 ($12.7 million) - [556] - Toy Story 4 (2019)
19. ¥1,372,054,050 ($16.7 million) - [300] - One Piece Film Z (2012)
20. ¥1,327,140,004 ($11.3 million) - [826] - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
21. ¥1,316,539,200 ($14.3 million) - [859] - Alice in Wonderland (2010)
22. ¥1,301,851,375 ($16.4 million) - [922] - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (2011)
23. ¥1,295,834,500 ($12.1 million) - [384] - Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer (2018)
24. ¥1,286,928,000 ($11.9 million) - [368] - Detective Conan: Crimson Love Letter (2017)
25. ¥1,263,735,608 ($10.5 million) - [408] - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (2003)
26. ¥1,258,095,403 ($11.3 million) - [863] - The Da Vinci Code (2006)
27. ¥1,245,023,900 ($10.3 million) - [958] - Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
28. ¥1,226,000,000 ($9.6 million) - [760] - Spider-Man (2002)
29. ¥1,225,913,932 ($12.9 million) - [428] - Rookies (2009)
30. ¥1,216,654,000 ($10.8 million) - [1002] - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)
31. ¥1,209,158,900 ($11.1 million) - [348] - Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare (2016)
32. ¥1,208,276,812 ($10.1 million) - [807] - Spider-Man 3 (2007)
33. ¥1,205,116,126 ($14.8 million) - [800] - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
34. ¥1,185,000,000 ($11.0 million) - [448] - Weathering With You (2019)
35. ¥1,155,771,000 ($10.9 million) - [739] - One Piece Film Gold (2016)
36. ¥1,133,513,323 ($14.1 million) - [224] - Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo (2012)
37. ¥1,125,800,000 ($9.9 million) - [937] - Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
38. ¥1,122,000,000 ($10.3 million) - [842] - Aladdin (2019)
39. ¥1,096,150,000 ($9.8 million) - [439] - Code Blue (2018)
40. ¥1,084,000,000 ($10.0 million) - [778] - Spider-Man 2 (2004)
41. ¥1,065,362,800 ($9.7 million) - [773] - Beauty and the Beast (2017)
42. ¥1,057,808,800 ($8.7 million) - [434] - Yo-Kai Watch: Great King Enma and the 5 Stories, Nyan! (2015)
43. ¥1,048,271,900 ($9.3 million) - [989] - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)
44. ¥1,038,295,232 ($11.9 million) - [190] - One Piece Film Strong World (2009)
45. ¥1,037,341,850 ($9.5 million) - [962] - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
46. ¥1,034,459,534 ($9.8 million) - [481] - Ponyo (2008)
47. ¥1,013,719,284 ($8.8 million) - [475] - Hero (2007)
48. ¥1,010,000,000 ($8.9 million) - [318] - Spirited Away (2001)
49. ¥1,005,428,333 ($9.6 million) - [409] - Boys Over Flowers: Final (2008)

All-Time Opening Weekends (2-Day) - ADMISSIONS

00. ~2,000,000+? - [1100+?] - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (2020) *Early Projection*
01. 1,486,743 - [631] - The Matrix Reloaded (2003) *w/previews*
02. 1,484,916 - [408] - Yo-Kai Watch: It's the Secret of Birth, Nyan! (2014)
03. 1,469,755 - [796] - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) *w/previews*
04. 1,467,945 - [919] - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
05. 1,421,738 - [760] - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) *w/previews*
06. 1,390,446 - [858] - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) *w/previews*
07. 1,357,977 - [758] - Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) *w/previews*
08. 1,279,120 - [578] - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
09. 1,210,000 - [878] - Frozen II (2019)
10. 1,198,210 - [729] - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2004) *w/previews*
11. 1,190,009 - [841] - War of the Worlds (2005) *w/previews*
12. 1,186,413 - [881] - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
13. 1,144,539 - [403] - Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire (2019)
14. 1,140,081 - [300] - One Piece Film Z (2012)
15. 1,138,689 - [639] - Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002) *w/previews*
16. 1,110,913 - [638] - The Matrix Revolutions (2003) *w/previews*
17. 1,104,980 - [448] - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
18. 1,065,264 - [826] - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
19. 1,043,267 - [550] - Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) *w/previews*
20. 1,031,000 - [556] - Toy Story 4 (2019)
21. 1,012,000 - [384] - Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer (2018)
22. 987,568 - [368] - Detective Conan: Crimson Love Letter (2017)
23. 987,387 - [428] - Rookies (2009)
24. 974,577 - [434] - Yo-Kai Watch: Great King Enma and the 5 Stories, Nyan! (2015)
25. 933,781 - [353] - Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare (2016)
26. 930,586 - [408] - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (2003)
27. 923,711 - [863] - The Da Vinci Code (2006)
28. 921,341 - [807] - Spider-Man 3 (2007)
29. 880,697 - [922] - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (2011)
30. 833,190 - [1002] - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)
31. 830,000 - [448] - Weathering With You (2019)
32. 828,149 - [859] - Alice in Wonderland (2010)
33. 820,830 - [739] - One Piece Film Gold (2016)
34. 819,738 - [190] - One Piece Film Strong World (2009)
35. 812,557 - [481] - Ponyo (2008)
30. 810,918 - [439] - Code Blue (2018)
31. 810,000 - [318] - Spirited Away (2001)
33. 805,350 - [409] - Boys Over Flowers: Final (2008)
34. 800,258 - [958] - Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Those numbers are crazy. Corpse would you say this is a bigger opening than Endgame's domestic $357m in comparison?

Relative to previous record, Demon Slayer will be better. It will be +45% during weekend and +82% for 3 days of previous record holder Yo-Kai watch.

In USA, Endgame was +40% previous record in terms of admit for weekend.

However, Endgame managed an occupancy around 90% during weekend, on much bigger release. Not sure if Demon Slayer will reach that high occupancy and its not as wide release as Endgame. Endgame had 1 show for 1200 people during weekend in USA, Demon Slayer will have 1 show for 4.5k people Approx, but then there is movie going trend in Japan much more backloaded than USA, so...

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:33 am
Star Trek XI

Corpse wrote:
I mean, I would say yes, but I don't know how much Endgame achieved in terms of capacity. Chances are a film in the U.S. could go much higher than $357 million if given a similar treatment as Demon Slayer in Japan.

Endgame had same treatment but the 3 hours runtime means there could have been a bit higher business during weekend, but given the runtime it had, that's the maximum any film could have done.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:36 am
Star Trek XI

Corpse wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

It's important to remember when I do post the chart that many of the biggest opening weekends in Japan came between 2002-2006 when previews (sometimes a week's worth) were being added to the actual weekend figures, greatly boosting them. And unfortunately, almost none of them had the previews reported separately, so you can't just deduct them. This is the main reason that the opening weekend record has belonged to The Matrix Reloaded since 2003.

Just in case, The Matrix Reloaded 892mn previews and 1330mn weekend. OD on May 31st was 465mn.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:40 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Wow, thanks for that. Preview numbers are so hard to come by. That shows just how much the opening weekends from ~2002-2006 were boosted from them. I won't separate it though since it was the practice then.

I marked all the films with known previews (*w/previews*). I found nothing talking about previews for Order of the Phoenix, so I'm going to assume it's the biggest opener (second in admissions), currently, without them included in the opening weekend. The book 7 hysteria really benefitted that one. It held the screen count record, and presumably the seating/showtime records, too, for several years.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

The gap between current record holder and your projection is...impressive, to say the least. Jesus.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 536, 537, 538, 539, 540, 541, 542 ... 952  Next