Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Tax Collector 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

The Tax Collector 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Tax Collector
Quote:
The Tax Collector is a 2020 American action thriller film[2] written, directed, and produced by David Ayer. The film stars Bobby Soto, Cinthya Carmona, George Lopez, and Shia LaBeouf, and follows two tax collectors working for a Los Angeles crime lord whose business becomes upended, resulting in one of them desperately protecting his family from an old rival.

The Tax Collector was released in the United States on August 7, 2020 by RLJE Films. The film received negative reviews from critics although LaBeouf's performance, the cinematography and Ayer's directing were praised.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:37 pm
Forum General

Post Re: The Tax Collector
A decent crime flick, but definitely one of Ayers weaker offerings unfortunately. I also don't get the outrage surrounding Shia LaBeouf's so called racist portrayal of a Jewish white kid who just so happened to grow up in South Central Los Angeles. I mean to me it really didn't seem all that different from how Christian Bale was portrayed in Harsh Times yet nobody complained about that from what I remember. I honestly think critics these days are either tired or just don't want to see these kinds of films anymore, because of the negative stereotypes which I can understand, but at the same time that's not enough for me to just completely dismiss a film either, especially if I can find other good qualities in it. The worst thing about IMO is easily how basic and generic it is, but LaBeouf gives a really good performance in it and the action was violent and stylish enough to keep my attention even if the story and characters were pretty lackluster.

C+

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:26 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Tax Collector
Boring and it does not help that I watched the far superior Debt Collector a few months back. There is no chemistry among the leads. LeBeouf has a single face throughout the movie and has nothing to do in the end. The central cliched family story is also not very convincing which is also the reason why the ending did not land for me. The villain is also not menacing enough even though they do try to make visuals around him scary.

Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]