Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Dave Chappelle's Sticks and Stones 
Devil's Advocate

Post Dave Chappelle's Sticks and Stones
He is catching a lot of heat for his LGBTQ and trans jokes, defending MJ

I thought it was hilarious. I don't remember his other Netflix specials being this funny

And on Sept 10, Bill Burr drops his to most likely start the outrage cycle all over again

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:02 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Dave Chappelle's Sticks and Stones
I thought it was great, he was blasting the pc crowd all through the act, he knows they are the biggest threat to stand up comedy right now so he let them have it.

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

:roll:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 pm
New Server, Same X

I went into this assuming I would hate it, but I laughed. A lot. Some of it doesn't work, but a lot of it does. The turn around/walk away thing was old after he did it three or four times. 15 times doesn't feel like an exaggeration, he did it way too much.

A lot of his controversial stuff, as is the case with most stuff that takes a controversial stance, stems from two places: I know/like the person so they can't be in the wrong (Louis CK and Michael Jackson), or, I don't understand something so I'll make fun of it instead (trans people).

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:07 pm
New Server, Same X

I watched half of Bill Burr's new standup, I'll save the rest for today. First of all, instead of doing the Chappelle turn around/walk off thing, Burr laughs at the end of almost every joke. Is this a new thing where comedians can't contain themselves at their own comedy? I like Burr's older standup a lot, I don't remember him doing that, at least not so gratuitously.

The first half of the special is, predictably, going after Me Too, feminists and overall cancel culture. This is all fodder for a good, original take from a comedian, but Burr doesn't give one at all. It's the same, tired retread of the basic counter-argument against everything. If standup comedy from respected comedians is going to devolve into "Boy, this is making my job difficult now!" then maybe you weren't that good of a comedian. Find a new take on it. Or just avoid it. But don't take the broad take on it. You'll get laughs, but they're easy laughs.

Again... big fan of Bill Burr. But I was disappointed in his predictable standup.

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:02 am
Devil's Advocate

I found Burr's take on MeToo and feminism tired. Apart from how he's done all this already, mainly I think deep down Burr is not really trying to offend people. He wants to keep the persona of the men-inist comedian but not jeopardize his cushy multi millions lifestyle. He even went out of his way to be anti-Louis.

I enjoyed the second half of the special more when he freed himself of his anti feminism obligations. His bits about the blow up sex dolls was really good, as was talking about watching the Elvis doc with his black wife.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:31 am
New Server, Same X

Agreed, the special picks up when he stops talking about MeToo and feminism. His main feminism joke is a rehash of a George Carlin joke that was equally offensive but maybe struck a little better 30 years ago when feminism was still fairly new. And true to Carlin, the whole bit wasn't meant to downplay or punch down on feminism, he admits agreeing with much of their ideas but saying they take themselves too seriously. It's dated but it worked.

I just hope standup specials aren't required to open with 20-30 minute routines on how comedy is different now. It's not. It's still the journey to the same end game: making people laugh.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:16 pm
Extraordinary

I found this to be very funny. I didn't have a problem with any of the running back at the end of the stage laughing. That's just how he is. My only complaint was that it was too short and ended a bit abruptly.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 am
Devil's Advocate

Did anyone watch the new Louis CK special? I thought it was some of his best stuff, honestly.

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:43 pm
New Server, Same X

Not yet, but I'm going to.

Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:00 pm
The Kramer

Is it on netflix?

Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

I think he just posted it on his website for $8

Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:37 pm
New Server, Same X

Here's what I'll say about the Louis CK special. It's really funny, typical Louis CK stuff. In a better timeline, he would have been as close to a George Carlin as we have today. And best of all, he doesn't do the tired "I'm a comedian and I can't be funny any more!!" bit that Chappelle and Burr both did while cashing big Netflix cheques. I kind of expected he would. If anything, he has more of a right to since he can only sell his special on his website.

I'm still so disappointed in his response to the whole thing though. I feel like I'm promoting the idea that time and distance will forgive people of their sins. His indiscretion was not as bad as it could have been, so an apology and acknowledging his part in being a successful person and using that power over people being wrong would have likely absolved him. I'd imagine he would say "Oh but no apology is good enough for some people", which is true, some people just want to blame someone forever, but it's not true of most people.

And I'm not even sure if he gets what was wrong with what he did. He makes it sound more like it's bad he likes women to watch him masturbate. And he trivializes the idea of consent. That's not the issue, Louis. Not realizing someone with less star power than you is not OK with it and then trying to get that person blacklisted afterwards is the issue.

Also, I may be generalizing, but I can't imagine there are a ton of women that find it enjoyable to watch a man masturbate. Just assume it's not their fetish, Louis.

Anyway, I'm a hypocrite. I have all these issues with him, but I still watched and laughed at the special.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:17 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I can't bring myself to watch it. And I used to love his stuff.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:46 am
New Server, Same X

Chippy wrote:
I can't bring myself to watch it. And I used to love his stuff.

Yeah it's rough. Especially when he at first references the subject, then does a whole bit about it.

A lot of his comedian and celeb friends have said he should be able to continue standup and be forgiven, which suggests maybe he does feel bad about what he did and speaks on it privately? Or it's the ol "Well, he didn't do it in my presence, so he must be OK" thing.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:21 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Honestly I don't mind if he still sells new stand-ups on his site, etc. And if a comedy club owner is fine having him perform, so be it. But those are all choices that will have consequences until he finally admits and apologizes for his mistakes. It's just really disappointing because he seemed like the type that could reflect and see what he did was wrong.

I even struggle to go and watch the new Chappelle because it seems like a lot of his stuff is just stale now.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:27 pm
The Kramer

I'll check it out eventually. Louis is a moral quagmire, but its not like he is in the same tier of sexual predator as a Weinstein or a Cosby or even a Spacey. More like James Franco, who will be back at some point, but his rotten behavior probably cost him an Oscar.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:34 pm
Devil's Advocate

Louis has lost tens of millions, his reputation, the legacy of his TV show and probably his dream of the next stage of his career as a Woody type filmmaker. He’s not a great guy, but on the other hand, at some point I think justice has been served. Someone like Harvey will never pay a price deserving of what he did, but for asking women to jack off in front of them, it seems more reasonable that he’s already gotten what he deserves.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:40 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Nobody is entitled to millions of dollars. He didn't "lose millions". He just... didn't make more millions.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:46 pm
New Server, Same X

Yeah, I didn't really care much when I read how much money he lost out on, as if anyone really cares. I'm sure he's not living paycheck to paycheck. And that doesn't equal anything he did to deserve it. Apples and oranges.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:29 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Do we really think that people change after living with a singular mindset after so long? That's where I believe the problem with rich/famous people comes and I'm tagging Louis in this. He'll eventually start doing the same thing but being more careful figure out a loophole in the system.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:25 pm
New Server, Same X

I think it's fair to say it's not as bad as Weinstein, but it's equally fair to say it's still a shitty thing and he knew what he was doing. Asking lesser-known comedians if he can masturbate in front of them. That puts the idea in their head that if they go along with it, he'll trust and like them and possibly help them in their career. And can't say no or he'll get angry and blacklist them.

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]