Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Parasite 

Rate This Film
A 86%  86%  [ 12 ]
B 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Parasite 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Parasite

Quote:
Parasite (Korean: 기생충; Hanja: 寄生蟲; RR: Gisaengchung) is a 2019 South Korean dark comedy thriller film directed by Bong Joon-ho. The film stars Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Cho Yeo-jeong, Choi Woo-shik and Park So-dam.

Parasite had its world premiere at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival on 21 May 2019, where it won the Palme d'Or, becoming the first Korean film to receive the award and the first film to win with a unanimous vote since 2013's Blue Is the Warmest Colour. It was selected as the South Korean entry for Best International Feature Film at the 92nd Academy Awards.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:18 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Parasite (2019)
Think I'll see this again soon cause I was in a terrible mood when I saw this but yeah, it's great.

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:55 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is awesome. A-

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:54 pm
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

One word review: Wow. I don't really know what to say. Really a masterful, engaging, unpredictable wild ride of a movie. Highly recommended.

A

my friend likened this to a Korean Coen Brothers film, which I thought an interesting and pretty apt comparison. Thoughts?

Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:03 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah this is pretty special. Deserves all the accolades.

"Masterful" is the perfect word Steve.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:21 pm
The Kramer

Great movie. I really liked how the layers of the film unfolded without ever having to resort to a big "twist bomb".

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:39 pm
Forum General

Wow I didn't think this could live up to the hype, but it actually did. Great flick and just captivating from start to finish. It definitely makes Jordan Peele look heavy handed which is likely why I loved it so much. Bong Joon-ho is such a master craftsman and this is probably the most I have enjoyed one if his films since I saw The Host back in 06/07. I haven't seen all of his films though, but I definitely liked this a lot more than Snowpiecer and Okja.

A

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:38 am
100% That Bitch

Wow
A+

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:29 am
Defeats all expectations

Gamaur wrote:

Thinking about it, you have to wonder whether the success of Peele's 'Us' might've played a role in getting this made, if not conceived of in the first place.

Filming for Parasite began before Us.

Confronting the class divide and mocking the hypocrisy of the rich are often taken-for-granted themes lurking from under many movies coming from South Korea and other areas from Asia. Parasite is a less subtle and deliberate movie to explore the issue, a way to appeal to other parts of the world.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:06 pm
Defeats all expectations

Post Re: Parasite
The most insightful bits are:

1) rich people get to draw the line for the poor (and society at large) not to cross and move the line wherever they see fit.

2) poor people envy the rich and despise the poor too. They could afford to be nice and generous as the rich if they were rich.

92/100

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:17 pm
Grill

This film is unbelievably good. I knew nothing of the plot nor saw any trailers before seeing it and boy oh boy am I glad I did.

A

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:02 pm
Top Poster

I really wanted to like this film but it just didn't click for me. It's not a bad film and I got all the social economic class-ism messages it conveyed. I usually love these type dark comedy/dramas but maybe because I found myself more sympathetic toward the Parks than the "Parasites".

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:33 am
Devil's Advocate

For the first act I thought it was a cute con drama/comedy, but as soon as the housekeeper comes back it becomes completely thrilling and crazy. The directing/pacing is gorgeous and all the actors did a wonderful job as it was in their expression so much. I really like how they used the house setting and items that came back around (the rock, peaches, morse code lights, etc.)

I don’t really understand people taking the parasites side in this. When the lightning struck I saw it as them as effectively facing the reckoning from that point on for being con men/women who callously deceived people, potentially ruined other people’s lives and then got drunk in their house like assholes. They went on to kill multiple more people in the housekeeper and Mr. Park. Mr. Kim is certainly a lot closer to being villainous than the Parks. I think it did a good job showing why the poor became so angry and why it drove Mr. Kim up the wall by the end just to hear Mr. Park make a comment one more time about how they smelled, but they paid the price for trying to cheat and making it all a game instead of taking real stock of their lives

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:51 pm
Wallflower

Finally got to see this yesterday on the big screen. Fantastic film. So perfectly orchestrated. The whole cast is terrific. I didn't know much going in and that's the best way to watch it. I hope it wins everything it's nominated for at the Oscars. I know it's not winning Director but I actually am predicting it taking the rest it's nominated for. Fingers crossed. No idea how it missed out on a Cinematography nomination.

I know it's on digital and Blu-ray right now but if you have a chance to see it in a theater I recommend it. Looks gorgeous on the big screen.

9/10 (A)

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:51 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yikes at that shack review.

A/A+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:29 am
Indiana Jones IV

Both families are parasites, just in different ways. The rich family takes advantage of the poor in numerous ways. They pay for it yes, but the poor have fewer options, so it's just a stronger parasite sucking on a weaker parasite, and vice versa.

I liked the first half and I was really interested where it was going, because a big, inevitable tragedy for both families seemed apparent.

But when the safe room is revealed at midpoint, the story changes quite a lot, to a much more generic direction. The set-pieces are good, yes, but for me it's not really an intellectually or morally challenging story after that point. It's more standard genre fare.

So like all of Bong's movies, it's good with some great moments. But not great as a whole. I think "Mother" is my favorite from Bong. His most focused film.

And Park is still the master of Korean cinema.

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:12 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I think after reading some interpretations, what he was probably going for is capitalism more than the Parks or Kims is the villain of the movie by forcing poor people to fight amongst each other. With that said the Kim family are clearly assholes who got what's coming to them whether they were in a desperate situation or not, and nothing the Parks did was punishable by death. So no way would I take the Kims side over the Parks in this.

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:12 pm
Keeping it Light

Very good film, but it's getting a bit too much praise.

B+

Sun May 03, 2020 4:50 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Shack wrote:
I think after reading some interpretations, what he was probably going for is capitalism more than the Parks or Kims is the villain of the movie by forcing poor people to fight amongst each other. With that said the Kim family are clearly assholes who got what's coming to them whether they were in a desperate situation or not, and nothing the Parks did was punishable by death. So no way would I take the Kims side over the Parks in this.

Yes. Parks > Kims.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon May 04, 2020 6:18 pm
The Kramer

This one held up just fine on second viewing. Actually I liked it even more, especially the first half.

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]