Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Onward 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Onward 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Onward

Quote:
Onward is a 2020 American computer-animated urban fantasy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios for Walt Disney Pictures. The film is directed by Dan Scanlon, produced by Kori Rae from a screenplay written by Scanlon, Jason Headley and Keith Bunin, and stars the voices of Tom Holland, Chris Pratt, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Octavia Spencer. Set in a suburban fantasy world, the film follows two elf brothers who set out on a quest to find a spell that will bring back their deceased father.[5]

It is scheduled to be released in the United States on March 6, 2020.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:28 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Onward
The first 2/3s are fine. The last third is strong and tearjerky in true Pixar fashion. If only the rest of the film was as strong.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:32 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Everything about this movie is just standard even the tear-jerking parts don't stick out because they trade a lot of those for action scenes. Pixar's version of Frozen which is inferior in almost every category.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:02 pm

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Everything about this movie is just standard even the tear-jerking parts don't stick out because they trade a lot of those for action scenes. Pixar's version of Frozen which is inferior in almost every category.

Onward is far more emotionally engaging in its climax.

Otherwise the movie lacks dynamic story telling as the threads that weave this story together are far too bold and easy to spot. It just needed more time. Dare I say this film should have been longer and more fleshed out? Maybe not, but at least its story beats should have been. The voice acting ranged from perfectly chosen with Chris Pratt to a big name that kinda phoned it in with Octavia Spencer.

It has some real strong points, but ultimately a movie that could have been truly special is frankly slightly above average.

B or B+?

It just has such a damn good ending.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:59 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

While I agree the ending in this is slightly better than Frozen specially with a non-love interest involved, its the setup towards the ending that just makes it predictable. The 2, then 3, then 4 Barley's memory of his father were a clear indicator for me that Ian would not meet his father in the end. Plus the brotherhood needed a little more setup (then just a reference here or there) here to hold more weight IMO. Barley as a character is just a fun brother that is neither is too caring nor is given any emotional turmoil arc. I think that unpredictability factor of the first view of Frozen is still a better experience for me. The second viewing for both movies should pretty much be the same.

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:31 am
The Kramer

This is meant to be a combination of Frozen and Zootopia that ends up playing more like The Good Dinosaur than it wants to. It sure does have a great ending though, I got the usual Pixar feels at a few parts. The action and side characters they meet along the way are also a lot of fun.

Two big problems though- the world is not very interesting, and for half the runtime neither are the main characters. It all comes around in the end, but that is the clear misfire and reason the movie flopped at the box office.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:43 pm
Hold the door!

This was alright. I really liked the main characters and it had a bunch of laughs, but the story was lacking. The world and the fact the characters were mythical barely tied into the story. You could have told it with humans and little would have changed.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:01 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I had no expectations here but found this incredibly sweet and heartfelt. The 'twist' and the ending really make the movie, I definitely shed a few tears. Also the animation is gorgeous.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:05 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

Pixar made me cry, again, but everything up until he reads the list is just decent. They didn't take full advantage of the slapstick potential of an all legs guy, and characters being all different monsters was distracting. Still, on the whole a very good animated film about relationships and believing in yourself.

Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:16 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah does not hold as well in second viewing as well. Its decent in what it does but by now its the predictable Pixar formula. I would have loved Pixar to go more traditional route and bring back their father for few minutes. It would have landed the same emotional impact IMO.

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]