Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Terminator: Dark Fate 

Rate this film:
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Terminator: Dark Fate 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Terminator: Dark Fate

Quote:
Terminator: Dark Fate is a 2019 American science fiction action film directed by Tim Miller, with a screenplay by David S. Goyer, Justin Rhodes and Billy Ray[5] from a story by James Cameron, Charles Eglee, Josh Friedman, Goyer and Rhodes. Cameron and David Ellison are the film's producers. It is the sixth installment in the Terminator franchise and the first since Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) to have franchise creator James Cameron involved.

Cameron considers the film a direct sequel to his films The Terminator (1984) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, while Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003), Terminator Salvation (2009), Terminator Genisys (2015) and the television series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008–2009) are described as occurring in alternate timelines.[6] The film stars Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger returning in their roles of Sarah Connor and the T-800 "Terminator", respectively, reuniting after 28 years. The film also stars Mackenzie Davis, Natalia Reyes, Gabriel Luna and Diego Boneta as new characters.

Distributed by Paramount Pictures in North America, Tencent Pictures in China, and 20th Century Fox in other territories, the film is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on November 1, 2019.

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:57 am
We had our time together

Post Re: Terminator: Dark Fate
It's ok. The last 20 minutes or so are pretty good but everything before just couldn't excite me much. It's mostly your typical Terminator stuff just a tad more well done than the last three times.

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

Dark Fate is an excellent action movie..... the visual effects and set pieces are among the best of the year.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:47 am
The Kramer

For the first half, it's another Terminator movie. The action scenes and effects are better than 2015's Genisys and 2003's Rise of the Machines, but it sticks to the formula, even when Sarah returns. They touch on the trauma she still feels from losing John, but at the end of the day she isn't too much different from Emilia Clarke's "badass Sarah" from the previous movie.

There's a 20-30 minute stretch, in between the introduction of Carl and the final set piece of the movie, where it is actually kinda great though. Arnold is fantastic, dripping with nostalgic sentimentality but also playing the character much differently than he ever has before. "I won't be back" actually got me a little bit misty eyed. And Sarah, looking head-on at a Terminator who can change, must challenge her own beliefs about her place in the world. It had me thinking, maybe, just maybe after all the talk of changing your dark fate and becoming your own person and finding new purpose and how the world doesn't really need a John Connor because anybody could be John Conner, that we wouldn't head towards a close-quarters final showdown where the good robots sacrifice themselves to protect their human saviors from the bad robots. Fate is apparently inevitable afterall though.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:06 pm
On autopilot for the summer

As an action movie, it delivers, and has a lot of great moments (I love that song when Arnold arrived in the bar in T2 is playing at a Texas BBQ for instance. It is relatively frustrating as a Terminator movie as there were a lot of interesting elements that weren't really explored. I think I still prefer T3 as that had a lot of great things, in addition to still great effects and action scenes and the last of the series to really feel like an event picture.

But yeah its lacking the intensity and the emotional center in the two new characters aren't really that convincing. All the science that we use to relish is reduced to lines like "I'm doing future shit" as explanations. And the fate of the world relies on someone standing up to a group of Mad Max hillbillies saying "We shouldn't be fighting each other, we should be fighting the machines!" The importance of such a character is not justified especially when we realize the so called savior is meaningless.

All in all, this was a fun flick but it definitely could have been more. It actually gave me a great idea for another Terminator film that I may actually write up a treatment for.

The Terminator A+
Terminator 2 A+
Terminator 3 A
Terminator Salvation B-
Terminator Genysis B
Terminator Dark Fate B+

I haven't really disliked any of these reimaginings. I just wish we get a followup after the Nastalgia trips they all tend to go on and look to be heading into new territory, the followup gets scrapped. I guess Arnold becoming Governor started the trend as a followup with the T3 characters mixed into Salvation.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:42 pm
Extraordinary

Weak. It's not terrible but the new characters are pretty zZz.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:58 pm
Forum General

As much as I didn't like what they did with John Connor in this movie I honestly did enjoy it for the most part. I thought the action sequences were actually really well done when it wasn't just a bunch over the top CGI crap flying across the screen. Linda Hamilton was great here too, and I actually really liked what they did with Arnie even though some of the most interesting aspects about his character happend off screen. In all seriousness I really do wish we could have just gotten a movie with those two forming some kind of an alliance and hunting Terminators together rather than all the other crap we got with these new characters, because its all just weak sauce anyways. I found nothing about Danni or Grace to be all that memorable, although I will say that Mackenzie Davis's physicality in the action sequences was pretty impressive to watch. I still didn't find her character very likable though, and please don't even get me started on all the stuff with Danni which felt so unearned IMO. This whole alternate timeline/ realities thing is such a complete mess in this franchise now that's its kind of hard for me to even get mad at certain stuff anymore, but they could at least put some effort into making these movies more coherent. They can also keep trying as much they want, but they ain't ever topping Robert Patrick's T-1000 no matter how much visually cool looking shit they come up with. Gabriel Luna was just there for me as the new Terminator in this, but I did like his endoskeleton design. There was way too much CGI jumping and hoping around for me with his character though.

B-

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:05 am
On autopilot for the summer

It could have been so interesting to have Arnold and Davis doing some kind of tech swap so he could learn about the new future, and tech and what Legion actually is. It would have been very cool and interesting that maybe Skynet was the better version of AI and terminators, or how obsolete they were. The Rev 9 isn’t all that interesting outside of the duplication

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:21 am
Wallflower

It's my least favorite Terminator but never saw Salvation or Genisys. I still liked it. Was very good at first. The highway action sequence was a blast. It's mostly the action-packed last 30 minutes that bored me and I wanted it to be over. While there are exceptions I usually just get bored with non-stop action.

Overall it was good. I really liked Hamilton and Davis in it.

7/10 (B-)

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:46 pm
Keeping it Light

It definitely set a lot of right compared to Genisys and most of the action is pretty good and enjoyable. But I just couldn't get really invested in this either. They didn't really bring anything new to the table and as a rehash of just everything we know already I was just not that impressed. This probably would have worked well as the actual T3, it's better than that at least, but in making it now it doesn't built upon anything I felt. Hamilton and Arnold are both good and the new cast, particularly Mackenzie Davis isn't bad, but they just don't leave a lasting impression. It's a decent film really, it's pretty well paced, not boring, but as a Terminator film it still disappoints.

B-

Terminator 2 A+
The Terminator A
Terminator Salvation A-
Terminator Dark Fate B-
Terminator 3 C
Terminator Genysis F

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]