Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 General new series thread 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: General new series thread
Carnival Row - not bad, not great. It hits all the Victorian London cliches from Sherlock Holmes to Jack the Ripper to Jane Austen poor girl serving a rich girl to prostitutes, but none of it really feels fresh except for the Bright style fairies. Cara DeLevigne is surprisingly good.

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:07 pm
Extraordinary

Unbelievable (Netflix).

Another show I was able to binge over the weekend. It's only 8 episodes so it's quick to get through and is actually able to wrap everything up. I'd say it's Netflix's version of True Detective and it succeeds. The cast was excellent. Toni Collette of course. Merritt Wever from TWD and Kaitlyn Dever of Booksmart were the three main characters and all great. Bring on season 2 if there is one.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:02 am
New Server, Same X

Are there any new fall premieres anyone is excited about? Nothing is jumping at me as exciting. It's a bunch of bland sitcoms, boring procedural dramas (with extra emphasis on courtroom dramas) and a few ambitious ideas that'll be bogged down by the confines of being on network TV.

The only show I'm looking forward to in any way is Stumptown, but I'm afraid I've seen it already this year (Whiskey Cavalier) and all the issues I had with that show will be present here. Complete with an awful title.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:37 am
Extraordinary

I have interest in Stumptown but I was also interested in Whiskey. I didn't watch one episode of Whiskey however so the same may happen with Stump. I do want to see Emergence.

Prodigal Son, Evil, Carol's 2nd Act and Mixed-ish are all on my radar to check out at least once.

However, there is quite a backlog of things releasing like The Politician, Watchman, Mandalorian and the return of Jack Ryan.

#MAGA #KAG!

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:53 am
New Server, Same X

That's the issue. I find there are a ton of other shows from cable or streaming that I'm putting off and I need to go with them.

I enjoyed the pilot for Whiskey Cavalier, but by episode 2, I could see where it was going on a weekly basis and I lost interest fast.

Emergence is one of those ambitious ideas that I feel will get boring after a week or two.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:35 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yeah I don't see how the majority of shows on network tv are going to last with the same old 23 episode formula. Everything needs to be cut to 12-16 episodes, fast.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:53 pm
New Server, Same X

Watched 20 minutes of All Rise. Wow. All someone did was take the skeleton of all CBS procedurals and dash in some bare bones Shonda Rhimes-style lighthearted tone, mix it up and regurgitated it. But then it gets super serious and makes you think... about changing the channel.

Bluff City Law starts off with a tease that the lead character has just lost a big case... flash back to "Six Weeks Earlier". I hate this TV trope. JJ Abrams did this a lot with Alias, and I hated it then. If I could give one positive to All Rise, it was incredibly breezy and I can imagine enjoying it for being a braindead hour. Bluff City is deathly serious too often, never allowing itself to breathe. It's great seeing Jimmy Smits again, but one may have to be content with him having his best role in the last fifteen years on a season of Dexter.

I gave Prodigal Son the biggest shot at grabbing my attention. I made it 40 minutes in, but... I can't do another show where the lead does things his own, unconventional way. It's not an awful premise, but I can't imagine this would hold my attention for 13-22 episodes a season. Not sure why Michael Sheen decided to waste himself away in this type of TV role.

Do I feel bad that I couldn't finish any of these pilots? Not really.

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:12 pm
Extraordinary

Got the first episode of Emergence in and I liked it though a tad slow. Hope I can stay interested.

#MAGA #KAG!

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:50 am
New Server, Same X

Watched the first three episodes of Fleabag. Man, I wasn't expecting to get the hype, but it's really good and funny. Phoebe Waller-Bridge does my favorite take on the "breaking the fourth wall, talking to the camera" shtick. Her facial expressions to the camera are perfect.

Disappointed but also relieved it's only 12 episodes. Sometimes less is more.

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:31 pm
New Server, Same X

Sunnyside boasts a fun, diverse cast... and not much more. The quirky comedy thing is hard to master when so many have come out over the last few years, to varying degrees of success. And I don't find Kal Penn an appealing lead. It's wise to make him part of an ensemble, but he's still the star and focal point of the series, and it doesn't work for me.

Bob Hearts Abishola... umm... well... it's a Chuck Lorre sitcom, so you know what you're getting. Unfortunately, I can't stand Billy Gardell, the premise is flimsy, the jokes are weak, and it has a fart joke in the opening minute.

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:01 pm
New Server, Same X

Carol's Second Act is rough around the edges, and the comedy is strained in spots, with the laugh track/studio audience overpowering scenes (coincidentally, I had the same issue with Everybody Loves Raymond). The more serious moments are incredibly forced (of course one of the interns has to tell a patient he has cancer on the first day, and Patricia Heaton will have to use her maturity to help the intern deliver this news), and the ending sets up the young male interns hitting on Carol's daughter (played by Ashley Tisdale... odd choice, not sure how I feel yet since her presence is minimal).

Confession time: I'm not a huge fan of Patricia Heaton. I never was a big fan of Raymond, and I found The Middle to be passable, forgettable humor, a second-rate Malcolm in the Middle. But she's rather endearing here. She has a giddiness that fits the role well. Kyle MacLachlan is pretty fun too. Unfortunately the rest of the cast stands in their shadows. But of all the pilots so far, this has potential, but only as a watchable half hour of TV. And it has zero ambition, which is fine I guess. Not every new sitcom has to try and re-invent the wheel.

------------

Perfect Harmony... ehh, like Sunnyside, it relies too much on being quirky. A silly cast of supporting players worked for The Office and Superstore, but it's difficult to replicate that. Everyone has to be good, and in the pilot, the best parts are the recognizable names. Bradley Whitford is, of course, terrific, even if I'm tired of the crabby lead character. And Anna Camp fits in with this series that is just a different take on Pitch Perfect or Glee. Everyone else is OK, lots of potential, but I don't feel a desire to stick around and watch it grow. The premise, the comedy... nothing is above subpar.

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:43 pm
New Server, Same X

The Unicorn. Talk about less being more. This show would be so much more if they trimmed the cast. The pilot is best and most heart-felt with Walton Goggins and his daughters on the show. That's the part of the show that works and if they put more emphasis on that, the show will succeed. But... there are two couples in the show that drain the show completely when they're both present. It's too much.

Rob Corddry and Michaela Watkins are obviously in there to provide the most comedy, but they suffocate a lot of the pilot. It becomes a bit too silly. Nix them and the show would be more grounded. But it's still odd that Walton Goggins would go for a network comedy series.

------------

Evil had the most intriguing pilot I've seen yet. That's not to say it doesn't have the same procedural issues I have, but it felt different from most CBS dramas. It's not quite as spooky as it would like to be (the night terror scene borders on laughable), and the leads are good but not great. But I'll likely give it a few more tries. Could have done without the scene near the end that said evil people are more connected than ever through social media. Overstating the obvious.

------------

Emergence is certainly an intriguing idea, but it took me most of the pilot to realize that it's Stranger Things if it only focused on Eleven. Mysterious girl shows up, don't know her history, bad people want her back, she seems to have powers, etc etc. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but once the comparisons start, it's hard not to notice. The young actress is okay, but she's no Millie Bobby Brown. The mystery is okay, but it's missing all the other extraordinary subplots of Stranger Things. Allison Tolman is strong here, and if the series can sustain interest, she may have finally found a good role after what seems like forever ago with Fargo.

On the down side, it's going to succumb to being a weekly network series. You can sense the lulls already where action and story progression are minimal. If it kept the season short (15 episodes max), it could work. But I doubt the ratings are going to be big enough and it may only last a season.

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:16 am
New Server, Same X

Ratings so far:

Worth a second (or third) chance
Emergence: B
Evil: B-

Has potential
Carol's Second Act: C+
The Unicorn: C+
Prodigal Son: C

Once was enough
All Rise: C-
Perfect Harmony: D+
Bob Hearts Abishola: D+
Bluff City Law: D
Sunnyside: D

Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:09 pm
100% That Bitch

Unbelievable is probably my fave new show of the year.
I don't think I've ever been this mad at any tv character.
And to think this is a real story makes my blood BOIL. I wanted to fucking punch the first pair of detectives. And don't get me started on me getting SO invested in all of the rapist's victims

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:22 am
Extraordinary

Emergence Episode 2 kept my interest. They are slow dripping things at this point which I'm fine with and they dabbled a captured minion who they will question in the next episode.

#MAGA #KAG!

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:02 am
New Server, Same X

Stumptown is easily my favorite pilot of the new season. Cobie Smulders is great in the role, completely holds my interest because of her. And as much as I hate the procedural nature of the network drama, it's pulled off well here. Good action, breezy tone, fun hour. I'll keep going with it for now.

--------

Bless the Harts, the newest addition to the FOX animation block, isn't bad by any means, but it wasn't as good as I was hoping. It feels a bit like King of the Hill, being an animated series that could just as easily be live action, but King of the Hill mastered that role perfectly. Bless the Harts is merely cute for now, a couple of chuckles in the first episode but not something I feel will carry on the tradition of never-ending adult cartoons on FOX Sundays.

Worth a second (or third) chance
Stumptown: A-
Emergence: B
Evil: B-

Has potential
Carol's Second Act: C+
Bless the Harts: C+
The Unicorn: C+
Prodigal Son: C

Once was enough
All Rise: C-
Perfect Harmony: D+
Bob Hearts Abishola: D+
Bluff City Law: D
Sunnyside: D

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:44 am
The Kramer

Good to hear about Stumptown. Coby and Jake are both great. Just never know with those network dramas.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:22 pm
Extraordinary

Guess I'm gonna have to hulu Evil now. I already missed the episode yesterday due to that football game.

#MAGA #KAG!

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 am
100% That Bitch

Daybreak is a must.
Episode 8 is a fucking masterpiece and a perfect set up for what happens in the last mitunes of the finale, it's such an amazing way to end a season

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:21 pm
100% That Bitch

Plus y'all REALLY need to catch up ELITE, La Casa de lS Flores (a bit of a dip in quality in season 2) and Monarca. Those three are International NETFLIX's holy Trinity (if you include la casa de Papel It makes it four). They're fucking GOOD.
ELITE: THINK OF 90210 but on roids
Monarca: house or cards mixed with better call saul
La casa de Papel: a suitable that must be watched to experience it
La casa de Las Flores: Desperate Housewives with Latin flavour (miles ahead of devious Maids lol)

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

MC for Apple's new shows:

Morning Show - 59
Dickinson - 70
For All Mankind - 69

i think Dickinson will probably end up with the most buzz as it's harder for critics to bash a show with a lesbian main character

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:48 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yep, that's why it's getting good reviews.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:53 pm
100% That Bitch

I just caught Pose's first season and shit I am in love with this

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:39 pm
The Kramer

The low score for Morning Show has to sting. Now they have nothing.

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:26 pm
100% That Bitch

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
The low score for Morning Show has to sting. Now they have nothing.

IMo, while Jennifer Aniston is still one of the most beloved stars in the world (just watch her break Instagram like a.month ago) she needs the right co lead to work and holy hell Resee is just not likable.... At all.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next