Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Joker 

Rate this film:
A 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Joker 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Joker

Quote:
Joker is a 2019 American psychological thriller film directed by Todd Phillips, who co-wrote the screenplay with Scott Silver. The film, based on DC Comics characters, stars Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker. Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, it is intended to launch DC Black, a series of DC-based standalone films. The film, which acts as an origin story for the Joker, is set in 1981 and follows Arthur Fleck, a failed stand-up comedian who turns to a life of crime and chaos in Gotham City. Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, and Frances Conroy appear in supporting roles.

Joker premiered at the 76th Venice International Film Festival on August 31, 2019, where it won the Golden Lion, the festival's highest prize. It is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on October 4, 2019. The film received positive reviews from critics, with particular praise for Phoenix's performance.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Joker
I completely understand and stand behind the praise Phoenix and Phillips are getting for this movie, both of them are at the top of their game. The movie is brilliant when it focuses only on Phoenix but as the second half of the film expands the world it just doesn't hold up. The reasons for this man turning bad almost felt conflicting with what the movie was trying to bring with that "painful laugh". As a Batman starter or as a Joker movie it needed more build-up. The whole riots joining Joker (even with the justification) felt like shoe-horned to bring that famous dark alley sequence specially with the "real ending" in hospital. Robert De Niro and Beetz are wasted here.

I wished that they haven't called this movie Joker. I probably would have loved it more looking at this movie without that antihero plotting and ending with De Niro stage sequence delivering a bigger emotional conclusion.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:58 am
The Kramer

Yeah the snowflakes were actually right on this one. It is very thematically troubling.

It’s still a good movie though and if they had just done a few things differently it could have been great.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:35 pm
The Kramer

I think one scene change could have salvaged it a bit. They’re interviewing people about the subway killings (which is the best part of the movie) and one person says the clown is a hero. Why? Is it because he saved an innocent from predatory men? Nope. “Fuck rich people!” My problems aren’t of my own creation, its everyone else thats to blame. Society is holding me down and the system only rewards the worst of us. And my positive relationships with women? ALL A LIE. So therefore it is ok to commit violence, ok to take your vengeance on those who “wronged you” and even those who didn’t because fuck em. My life has been hard and everyone else needs to feel sorry for me or die trying.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:40 pm
100% That Bitch

I actually loved this one

A

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:35 am

Love or hate film it seems

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:54 pm
Extraordinary

I loved it as well.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:39 pm
Full Fledged Member

D

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:26 am
The Kramer

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Love or hate film it seems
I mean, my grade is still like a B. It's an impressive film, but an annoying one as well. The whole purpose seems to be "Arthur would not turn into Joker if things were different" but I don't think it accomplished that at all. Instead it lands on a Pro-Nihilism stance, because everybody is so awful that you should have the right to be awful too. It's almost like a frat-boy was trying to make a Martin Scorsese movie without ever having seen the end to one. Movies that directly tell me how smart and important they are, and how special and important I am for choosing them, that then proceed to go nowhere are my biggest pet peeve in the industry.

What I did like:

1) The King of Comedy ft. Joker is a pretty good premise for a movie. Though, again, Scorsese never once questions whether Rupert Pupkin's life is anything but his own fault. There's a responsibility in that movie, and a very ambiguous ending and Joker could have used both of those things.

2) The score is fantastic. Maybe the second best of the year after Us.

3) Strong camera work as well.

4) Jaquin's ACTING is a little too much sometimes, but its an incredible performance.

5) I didn't need to see the Wayne's die again (4th time on the big screen), and I do think Arthur should have died for thematic purposes. That being said, Pattinson v Phoenix will be a pretty epic showdown in The Batman 2 in 2024ish. They did nail the idea of Joker being responsible for their deaths without actually doing the deed himself (have you ever danced … nah they already dead.)

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:16 am
The Kramer

It's weird/not weird to me that this is already so beloved on the internet. It reminded me of Daenarys' arc on the final season of Thrones … which everyone on the internet HATED.

SPOILERS FOR GOT
Spoiler: show
She got everything she wanted then turned evil anyways because nothing matters.

We believe in nothing Lebowski. NOTHING. And tomorrow we come back and cut off your Johnson.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Phenomenal. Completely transcends the comic book genre and blows every other Joker out of the water (sorry, Heath). It's a startlingly original combination of tenderness and horror anchored by a career-defining performance. It's also topical in a way that feels genuine and important, unlike most of the social commentary claptrap that Hollywood churns out. My one criticism is that Thomas Wayne's death should've been a bigger moment considering its narrative weight.

A

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:27 am
Hold the door!

It was entertaining but pretentious and seemed very focused on having a message moreso than being a movie.

B

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:39 am
On autopilot for the summer

A lot of great scenes, but no real plot to string it together. It doesn't really depict Phoenix's downfall all that well, and it doesn't really hit any any new ground for the genre, and it's R while apparent isn't utilized all that much. But it is an overall good experience, acting and cinematography are great, and would enjoy seeing a 10-20 year older Joker up against the new Batman down the line.

Not quite a homerun, but a major move in the right direction for DC.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:18 pm
Forum General

I really enjoyed it, but I can't really say that I thought it was a great film either. Phoenix is fantastic and from a technical/production standpoint it's very well made, but honestly there just wasn't that much for me to get invested in with this movie. It really does feel like that outside of Phoenix as Arthur Fleck it's actually quite weak when it comes to other characters and while Phoenix does carry the majority of it well from a story/narrative perspective a lot of it felt like it was really lacking IMO. The third act is easily my favorite part of this movie, especially that final confrontation between Deniro and Phoenix.

B+

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:26 am
Forum General

Really hated this.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:08 pm
Superman: The Movie

So many ideas in its little head. And fuck if Todd Phillips doesn’t have a clue what to do with them. Phoenix makes this really watchable, almost to the point where I’d recommend it, but no. It’s clear Phillips wanted to make a hybrid of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy (why else is this set in 1981?). The only problem is that no one would want to see that, especially from Phillips. Tack on the Joker’s name, Spectre the franchise (maybe...just another thing Phillips is wishy-washy over), and boom $306 million later, here we are.

The one thing they cut (supposedly) that would’ve been interesting: Bruce dying as well.

Boy is that Gary Glitter scene embarrassing. More embarrassing than anything Leto did (though that’s more on Phillips).

I know funding was cut, eliminating all social workers in Gotham ( :funny: cause that’s how it works), but nobody could’ve referred him to a social worker in Metropolis?

Here’s a first: Robert DeNiro bad. Miscast and flat out bad. Phillips desperately wants to make that Taxi Driver/King of Comedy connection though. The only problem is Johnny Carson he ain’t. He’s not even Leno. He’s actually very similar to how he is on SNL which just goes to show you how much he probably prepared for the role.

Finally, we’re supposed to believe this Joker becomes a criminal mastermind? Is there a hint anywhere that Arthur is smart let alone a simpleton? And with that voice?

Two more positives: The set and production design is really well done. Even though there’s no real reason for this movie to be set in 1981 (other than for the reason already stated in addition to matching/mimicking similar crimes that took place during that period which makes it even more problematic), you really believe it’s 1981. I also really liked Zazie Beetz. It’s just a shame Phillips doesn’t have the balls to show us what happened with her character.

One more negative: The two biggest laughs of the movie are a little person jumping for a door handle after Arthur brutally murders a friend because he sold Arthur the gun which started the whole thing. The other is Arthur bringing said gun to a children’s hospital. I’ll let you guess which one works and which one doesn’t, but let’s just say Phillips is twisted (insert gnarly guitar rift, shout out Blank Check).

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

There is a lot more going on with this film than meets the eye. It's a much deeper film that some are giving it credit for, and this is especially true if you're a Batman fan and really look at the layers. The film requires more than one viewing to really get all the details and subtleties going on. A lot of details are easy to miss due to the magnetic performance of Phoenix. I don't really feel like explaining in depth, but I say all this as someone who had very strong doubts about this film before watching it.

A

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:56 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I went in having avoided basically all reviews / press / hype / controversy. Just wanted to see the movie....

Ended up having one of the most unsettling movie experiences of my life. I never want to see this again. Extremely disturbing on a deep level for me.

Also, some young male in the front of the theater was being extremely obnoxious and yelling stuff about the movie, was asked by an attendant to leave, he was swearing at her, then security came (during the scene where Joker was fleeing the police in the subway mayhem) and the guy supposedly threw a punch saying "I'm not leaving! I paid to be here! Call the cops!" then made a hasty escape when security left.... it was too fuckin meta. Very uncomfortable.

The anxiety that built throughout this movie affected me deeply. I thought it was fucking excellent and awful.

A

Will never watch this again.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 am
The Kramer

Joker is annoying me more by the day.

Todd Phillips: "I wanted to make a real movie, but I disguised it as a comic book movie." What 'real movies' have you made before Todd? Fuck off.

Martin Scorsese: "I can't watch Marvel movies. It's not real cinema." Love you Marty, but maybe don't criticize others for making the "same movie every time" while you are promoting a gangster movie with Robert DeNiro.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:30 am
Forum General

The movie was very good and Phoenix was incredible but I think it would have been a seriously great movie if the movie ended about eight minutes or so before it actually did (when there was the pan out of the different news outlets).

A-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

movies35 wrote:
The movie was very good and Phoenix was incredible but I think it would have been a seriously great movie if the movie ended about eight minutes or so before it actually did (when there was the pan out of the different news outlets).

A-

I think I had a similar thought, that the movie should have ended a little earlier. The coda didn't feel necessary.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:02 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Yeah, I'm in the hated this camp. I thought it was dreadful and the direction and screenplay were amateurish. Joaquin is technically very good but there's never a moment you forget he's acting here, and the supporting cast is bad. That staircase sequence is one of the most cringe-inducingly awful movie moments I've seen in some time. I will say that the production design was pretty impeccable though, definitely felt like the gritty New York of the '80s.

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:25 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

I thought this was outstanding. Totally on board with Phoenix winning for this, and I loved DiCaprio. The physicality of his performance really takes it to another level, the way he bends his malnourished body, etc. The whole uncontrolled laughter, levity despite being miserable, part of his character was perfect for me. Really impressed by Todd Phillips directing. The cinematography felt natural and lived in to me and really set the world well. In the middle half of the movie I thought it was juggling a lot between the Thomas Wayne storyline, his mother, his comedy, De Niro, etc. but I think it's meant to signify all the things that can be happening in your life at once especially when it's swirling down.

I disagree with the people who think this has a shallow take "society deserved it" - that's what I was expecting this to be with Arthur spending the movie torturing wall street guys or whatever, but I thought it ended up more nuanced than that. For example one of the seminal moments that makes him the Joker permanently is when the guy that gave him the gun and the midget comes to his apartment. That guy was the only person to believe in him and 100% did nothing wrong and Joker killed him. So it is a sign that Joker's actions are not excused by the problems with society. De Niro's character didn't deserve to die either, he was acting as a moral voice of reason. When Joker says on his talk show that he's doing this because society is trash, it rings hollow because literally minutes before he claimed several times he is not political. Unlike Travis Bickle Arthur doesn't actually believe in anything, he only believes in himself as he inherited the narcissism from his mother. He doesn't really care about what the protestors are fighting for when he stands on the car at the end, he only cares that they're finally treating him as important and finally love him, and when he says on the talk show he's doing it to fix society he's changing his views to match them if anything and find any justification to latch onto. There is something of a Being There element to their worship of him in that the protestors project their views onto him, but in reality he is just a simpleton who is incapable of thinking with that complexity. I see Joker as clearly a villain not a hero and part of the message is that it's dangerous to treat people like this as heroes.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:02 am
New Server, Same X

I watched this two weeks ago and loved it. But now that it has settled in my mind a bit, it's more of a "I love Joaquin in this" type feeling, and everything else is just... there. The story is so minimal, it's a shame they couldn't muster anything better. It's basically a series of scenes of Joaquin acting his ass off, with a bunch of violence and loose strings of some sort of Joker origin story.

But the thing is... anything that actually ties this to any DC universe feels tacked on. I like the idea of Joker starting as a failed comedian. But without the Gotham setting and the Bruce Wayne scenes (especially near the end), it feels like the movie was 90% finished and then they decided to weave in some Gotham/Joker stuff.

I don't hate the movie at all. It's just that Todd Phillips' inexperience with heavier material and his desire to mimic Scorsese deeply hinder the movie at every turn. Once you get past "IT'S JOAQUIN AS THE JOKER!!", it's unfortunately flawed.

***/*****

It kind of reminds me of when Brett Ratner of all people wanted to do a Joker origin story after Ledger's Joker in 2008, and it was thankfully never brought up again. One of Phillips' only strong points is that this isn't as bad as a Ratner-directed Joker.

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:24 pm
Keeping it Light

It's a good film elevated by a great Phoenix performance. There's a nice mood to the film and it fits itself well into the Batman universe too. It definitely has a different feel to it than other comic book character films because of its grim and a realistic tone and it works. But besides Phoenix I wouldn't rank it among the year's best, it doesn't really transcend the experience of being more than just a very solid drama.

B+

Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next