Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Tomato Picker Sept / Oct: stuffp wins! 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Tomato Picker 10/1
So i posted this question in BO forum as well. But with 50% Top Critics ratings Joker is marked as Certified Fresh. Is there a new rule to that? I thought movies need to clear 70% from all critics as well as top critics to get Certified Fresh ratings? Maybe its WB forcing it on RT?

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:49 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

It's on their website:

Quote:
Certified Fresh status is a special distinction awarded to the best-reviewed movies and TV shows. In order to qualify, movies or TV shows must meet the following requirements:
A steady Tomatometer score of 75% or higher.
At least five reviews from Top Critics.
Films in wide release must have a minimum of 80 reviews.
Films in limited release must have a minimum of 40 reviews.
Only individual seasons of a TV show are eligible, and each must have a minimum of 20 reviews.
A movie or TV show that reaches the requirements for Certified Fresh doesn't immediately receive the designation. Instead, it is automatically flagged for our staff's consideration. Once the team can determine that it's unlikely the score will drop below the minimum requirements, they will mark it Certified Fresh.

If the Tomatometer score drops below 70%, then the movie or TV show will lose its Certified Fresh status.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:25 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Thanks chippy. I'm always confused by their system. It still seems fishy given that the movie has been dropping numbers to mark it fresh so soon. I remember there have been movies in the past that didn't receive the same treatment specially with lower score from top critics.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:00 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Thanks chippy. I'm always confused by their system. It still seems fishy given that the movie has been dropping numbers to mark it fresh so soon. I remember there have been movies in the past that didn't receive the same treatment specially with lower score from top critics.

So soon? It has over 200 reviews...

Also, in the last day and a half it went from 74 up to 78 and now down to 73.

Good lord. This isn't some conspiracy. It met the required 75% mark, and with over 215 reviews, it's very unlikely it will drop below the 70% mark which would make it lose the certified rating.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:05 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes its soon the movie hasn't yet been released and 50+ reviews just poured after the status change. By around 150 reviews it moved below the "steady 75%" status at 74% and they moved it to certified status.

I brought it up because it felt odd. I am 100% sure they haven't done so for similar scored movies. I still don't remember movies with certified fresh status with such low Top critics score. Though I agree that it won't loose the 70% status so all this is a moot point, RT is within their rules and its upto them how and when they want to call certified.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:36 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

The top critic score HAS NO BEARING on certified fresh.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:41 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Again, the film met the requirement, they certified it. You're literally grasping at straws for some inane reason.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:43 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Dude I just agreed on to what you said in your second post. I don't know why are you being so sensitive about it.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:44 am
Keeping it Light

I didn't follow its score closely, but if they moved it to certified while its score was 74% it sounds like Jack has a point.

Last edited by stuffp on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:18 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

So it's at 70% now from 240 reviews with only 37 top critics reviews (and they aren't liking it). There is a chance that the movie might go below 70% now. The whole "steady 75%" was never true for this movie. But I'm sure DC fans will find an excuse about this.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:16 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Again, it was over 75% multiple times. That's the requirement. If/when it falls below 70%, it will lose it's certified status. This isn't that fucking complicated.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:50 pm
Keeping it Light

It's pretty fricking convenient to assign certified status for opening weekend. I feel hard pressed not to imagine there's studio involvement in RTs treatment of this film. Just like how they removed "how many people want to see this %" for Captain Marvel's opening.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:51 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

They could have given it certified status at 100 reviews, when it was close to 90%.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:07 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

But they generally don't for movies of this pedigree. Even Age of Ultron was given a certified rating after its release. That's the problem here Chippy.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:28 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Honestly, you seem to have an issue with the film. What is it?

Ultron has a FAR lower average rating than Joker, which if I ran RT, I would hesitate to give a Certified Rating to if it was on the border until 200+ reviews were in.

Joker had over a 9.0 rating for a LONG time, and was in the 90% for a long time. It easily met the requirement they have. Yet they waited until it was over 200 reviews, and over 75%. Just like they do with every fucking movie.

You people are fucking insane. Call me if it drops below 70% and RT keeps it as certified. Because they've literally followed their rules for this to a T.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:31 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

So top critics numbers hold no merit because they are not part of RT's but suddenly the average is? I am not talking about every other movie here but it definitely seems odd to see a certified fresh icon against 49% score of top critics. Please show me one high profile movie before this that have done this.

I don't understand people at this forum. If I cite % drop for Avengers Endgame but the weekend number increases from estimates I have a problem with that movie. If I'm seeing a first time thing at RT I have a problem with the movie. I don't know why people are so defensive in their coccons that they forget how a healthy conversation at arguing ends can be made. People are either hostile or good in your world but that's not how everyone is. There is a neutral ground in a conversation and we are all adults to agree on something regardless of our affinity(or hate) towards a movie.

In this case I didn't like the movie and feel that it provokes violence but a few of my posts were made before i saw the film.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:00 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Chippy wrote:
Honestly, you seem to have an issue with the film. What is it?

Ultron has a FAR lower average rating than Joker, which if I ran RT, I would hesitate to give a Certified Rating to if it was on the border until 200+ reviews were in.

Joker had over a 9.0 rating for a LONG time, and was in the 90% for a long time. It easily met the requirement they have. Yet they waited until it was over 200 reviews, and over 75%. Just like they do with every fucking movie.

You people are fucking insane. Call me if it drops below 70% and RT keeps it as certified. Because they've literally followed their rules for this to a T.

Its at 69% after 295 reviews and still Certified Fresh

[P.S. If you can't see the image - open it in new tab]

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:04 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

You're really sad:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:29 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Let the name calling begin.....

Its not yet changed on the main movie page....but I am sure they will EVENTUALLY get to that. It must be difficult for these guys calling their website rottentomatoes to change the status of how fresh/rotten a movie is.

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:55 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Email them since you're so concerned. My god.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:13 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Why so serious Chippy? I really don't know why are you taking this so personally. Wherever you stand on this I am not saying this about you or the movie but about RT website and their management.

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:35 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

You're literally hellbent on proving some conspiracy theory in your head. And I'm literally telling you this is exactly how they handle every other movie.

Aquaman was over 75% for a while! And guess what, it never got certified fresh. Because it kept dropping, even with well over 100 reviews and still technically qualifying. There are very few movies with a scenario similar to this. With having such a great average rating, but a striking difference between top critics and general critics (again, top critic % has no bearing on certified, despite your claims). So to find a comparison is nearly impossible.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:49 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Alright I agree I might have pushed it hard now but I didn't start with this tone till you started making fun of me. I also agree that I think WB is calling the shots on this because in the past their controversial titles haven't maxed their potential at BO because of poor RT scores. Having said all that I started with just curiosity because to me I haven't see this level of handling for a "high-profile and blockbuster" movie and like you I have been tracking RT for sometime now. I will leave this topic here now and let's continue to watch if RT's strategy is going to be the same for all upcoming movies.

P.S. I didn't claim Top Critics have bearing with RT's Certified status. I brought it because a low score from early reviewers generally means there is a decent chance the movie will fall through the certified criteria. Their Top Critics are mostly big newspapers and such who would watch the movie or publish their review close to OW (to generate buzz), specially for blockbusters. If I know this then I am sure the staff at RT knows it too. And while that didn't make big difference with Joker, a big % of that negative reviews have continued to pour from Top Critics.

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:28 am
Keeping it Light

Chippy wrote:
You're really sad:

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:06 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Still showing as a regular tomato for me.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next