Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Ad Astra 

Rate this film:
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Ad Astra 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Ad Astra

Quote:
Ad Astra is a 2019 American science fiction adventure film produced, co-written, and directed by James Gray. Starring Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones, Ruth Negga, Liv Tyler, and Donald Sutherland, it follows an astronaut who goes into space in search of his lost father, whose experiment threatens the solar system.

Ad Astra had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on August 29, 2019 and is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on September 20, 2019, by 20th Century Fox.[4] It received positive reviews from critics, with Pitt's performance receiving unanimous praise

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:40 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Ad Astra
I wonder if the movie will be divisive specially from the critics raving Vs audience reception. It has the heart and makings of an art-house movie with big budget. Though I didn't love the ending the whole journey is amazing and Pitt is magnetic throughout the movie.

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:41 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

The good reviews will help, but it looks really boring from the trailers. I'm sensing high teens.

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:41 pm
Devil's Advocate

The Cinemascore is B-. I was expecting D

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:14 am
Extraordinary

AD ASTRA

I guess I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed this movie. Saw it with three others. One fell asleep, one felt it was waste of time and the other thought it was a once view. A couple things the others did like were some of the visuals in the film which was really good. The moon and it's moon base. The opening sequence with the antenna array and visuals of Mars, Jupiter and Neptune were all lovely to view. Can't get enough of space shots. The other thing they mentioned which I agreed with was the music in the film. I thought Brad Pitt was excellent in his role and driving force of the film. The moon action sequence was excellent and I enjoyed all the space sequences. Now in the end we get to Pitt reaching his father who's clearly mental at this point so there's no twist, no interesting ending or otherworldly. Overall, it was a good film that held my attention throughout, excellent visuals, world building and music.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 am
The Kramer

I liked it on the whole. the movie has some spectacular sequences and builds an interesting world around the question "what if we are alone in the universe?" One person isn't satisfied with the answer his God gives and starts an apocalypse sequence through his stubbornness. Brad Pitt saves the day while also getting closure as to why god left us alone in the first place.

The movie has several issues that keep it from being great, and its mostly all to do with the filler placed around the concept. I love moon pirates and raging space baboons as much as the next guy, but the first half of the movie drags. The narration is meant to make the picture dreamlike, and maybe it works a little too well because I found myself drifting off in between these big set pieces. And while the second half is more engaging plot-wise, Brad Pitt's character suffers for it. He kills three innocent people and faces no consequences other than wondering if he and his dad are the same. Then he doesn't even get to make the choice to let go of his father, his father does it for him. Which is exactly where we were 29 years to the start of this story.

So the movie is good enough for a watch, but don't expect to come out of it entirely satisfied.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 pm
Extraordinary

Was pretty tired when I saw it but I really dug it and it has several great sequences.

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:32 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I want to see an entire movie set in this film's vision of a partially-colonized moon. Space pirates fighting over territory in low gravity and all that. It was by far the best sequence in the whole thing.

Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:09 pm
Keeping it Light

Splendid. I probably saw The Yards, though can't remember it well, but I loved Gray's The Lost City of Z and it made me look forward to Ad Astra. It didn't disappoint one bit, it's beautiful to look at, tense and well scored. Pitt is amazing and drives the film to its highs by being with him through an astronaut's sci-fi journey. I only saw a Space Oddessy not too long ago, and this feels similar in nature, though much more grounded, with a clearer arc and angle. I only wished some things might have gotten explored more, about the Moon and Mars bases and other characters besides Pitt. Luckily the film succeeds by being along on the ride with him alone.

A-

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

This definitely feels like a 3 hour cut that was shortened to 2. I really enjoyed the visuals and watching Pitt's character explore further and further into the universe. I think the first half of the film are the best as the moon sequence is great and meaningful, and the primate thing comes out of nowhere and is awesome. However while his performance was great, I felt like the characters were not as deep as the movie thinks they are. Roy is lonely and has father issues, but it feels like there's an extra level of personal and moral conflict the movie doesn't get to with him. TLJ says he never cared about him, plus his character is a monster, but Pitt kind of just brushes it off and is on good terms with him until they separate. I suppose the point is that Roy is kind of this pulse-less version of Radiohead's Fitter Happier, nevertheless it makes the TLJ part of the story feel like more of a B space film, and helps lead the film to more good than a masterpiece.

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:46 am
Forum General

I thoroughly enjoyed this as well, but the visuals are easily the best parts about it IMO. So many drop dead gorgeous shots in this and there were definitely some brief yet still very tense sequences in it as well. The sequence at the beginning, and the chase with the Moon Pirates were pretty damn cool and I loved how James Gray directed those sequences with as little sound as possible, as well as those kinetic POV camera angles. It's such a shame though that I could never really get invested in Brad Pitts character though which makes the slower parts of this movie feel kind of dull honestly. Now, I wouldn't say I found it as boring as most people have said, but I can see exactly where there coming from.

As much as people complained about Ryan Gosling not emoting enough in First Man I really found Pitt to be pretty damn monotone in this even in the scenes where he is showing emotion. The Liv Tyler subplot felt super unnecessary and I can't say TLJ was used that much better since his role seemed more like an afterthought than anything else. I can appreciate the more nuanced approach Gray took with this though, and I also can't wait to see what the guy does next.

B

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:00 am
Keeping it Light

I watched this twice in the cinema last year actually and also the second time around I felt mesmerized by it. Still the story could have maybe used a little bit of work, but it's just a greatly shot and scored space adventure.

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]