Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Spider-Man: Far From Home 

Rate this film:
A 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Spider-Man: Far From Home 
Keeping it Light

Post Spider-Man: Far From Home

Quote:
Spider-Man: Far From Home is a 2019 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Spider-Man, co-produced by Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios, and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing. It is the sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) and the twenty-third film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film is directed by Jon Watts, written by Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers, and stars Tom Holland as Peter Parker / Spider-Man, alongside Samuel L. Jackson, Zendaya, Cobie Smulders, Jon Favreau, J. B. Smoove, Jacob Batalon, Martin Starr, Marisa Tomei, and Jake Gyllenhaal. In Spider-Man: Far From Home, Parker is recruited by Nick Fury and Mysterio to face elemental threats from another dimension while he is on a school trip to Europe.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:22 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home
Wasn't crazy about Homecoming, wasn't crazy about this
Not bad just feels slight.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:04 am
Keeping it Light

I liked this as much as I liked Homecoming, it's one of the better films I've seen this year too so far. There's just a nice breezy high-school lightness to the story that mixes well with the having superpowers angle, as well as fitting in with the overall MCU. Gyllenhaal is an apt villain, not as good a Vulture, neither particularly evil or menacing, but just a good actor in a neat role. Iron Man's death is a heavy factor in the story too and it works. There's nice action sequences and locations, plus good doses of humor. All combined the films delivers satisfying entertainment.

B+

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:39 pm
Forum General

Man I'm kind of surprised to say this, but I thought Homecoming was much better. Yeah the action sequences are vastly superior in this, especially the stuff with Mysterio, but other than that and Tom Holland still giving a really solid performance there is a lot about this movie that just didn't really click with me. The humor fell flat many times IMO, and with all this hype around Gyllenhaal I was honestly expecting more from him, but he is definitely no Michael Keaton. He's good and I still liked him as the villain, but Keaton's Adrian Tooms was far more menacing. I don't even think any of Gyllenhaal's scenes ever came close to something like the car scene in Homecoming which is pretty disappointing considering the level of talent he has. I don't know maybe it's just me, but it felt like he was playing it pretty safe and one note for the most part. Also, a lot of the side characters annoyed me quite a bit in this even Ned who I actually didn't mind in the last one. Seriously, why was he even in this, because I didn't give two shits about his romance with whoever the blonde girl is supposed to be and I'm still not really liking these portrayal's of Flash Thompson and Mary Jane. The post credit scenes were pretty dope though, especially the first one.

B-

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:05 am
100% That Bitch

So with Spidey out, will he be the face of the avengers now?

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:58 am
Extraordinary

The
Spoiler: show
Mysterio reveal
scene was very cringey to me. Kinda reminded me of the Mandarin reveal in IM3.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:22 am
Hold the door!

This was good. The special effects were probably the best yet for a Spider Man film. Mysterio and the elementals looked awesome. Only issue is that Mysterio simply wasn’t nearly as relatable a villain as Vulture. Gyllenhaal gives it his all, but Beck is not compelling enough a character for the reveal to have the weight it should.

B+

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:14 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Very good. Tom Holland continues to portray the character excellently. The story ties in very nicely with the events following Endgame. The setting of the film occurring throughout various locations was a nice change from New York. Gyllenhaal was good, although the one-note criticisms aren't wrong. The score was solid once again. The visual effects were great.

And JK Simmons being recast as J. Jonah Jameson is incredible. It's one of those rare truly perfect casting decisions, and recasting him just didn't seem plausible. I think that was my favorite mid-credits scene in any Marvel film to date, and the impact it'll have on future films is significant.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (A-)
Spider-Man (A-)
Spider-Man 2 (A-)
Spider-Man: Far From Home (B+)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (B+)
Spider-Man 3 (B)
The Amazing Spider-Man (B)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (B-)

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Love the movie. Very Ant-Man and The Waspish. Also has the best credits scenes of any Marvel movie.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:50 pm
100% That Bitch

Tom Holland is the best Spidey. Fight me.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:52 pm
The Kramer

Nobody will fight you on that. :funny:

Tobey was a great Peter Parker but a little too emo Spidey. Garfield was always too-cool-for-school, beating up bullies and snagging hot babes before he even got his powers. Holland is perfect amount of nerd-tough.

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:14 pm
Forum General

publicenemy#1 wrote:
The
Spoiler: show
Mysterio reveal
scene was very cringey to me. Kinda reminded me of the Mandarin reveal in IM3.

Yes that exposition dump was ridiculous lol.

I love Tom Holland in this role but haven't loved the films themselves.

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:34 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was so much better than the first movie. Holland and Gyllenhaal were great as was Zendaya in her expanded role. Enjoyed myself a lot. A-

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:41 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

I DON'T KNOW HOW I FEEL. I loved, loved, loved some parts of it. Holland was great throughout. Zendaya is perfect as MJ. Gyllenhaal was GREAT!

But... why did they pick Mysterio as the villain? Specifically for the Peter Parker reveal? He's such a dumb villain in general. And he's not menacing. Yes, he's 100% camp and Jake nailed that. But man, there wasn't much suspense outside of the emotion Holland gave us.

It had higher highs than Homecoming, but a lot of this was just... filler. But that seems like half of the MCU now. Filler.

A-?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:08 pm
Superman: The Movie

Saw it awhile ago. It’s on par with Homecoming for most of the time (that’s a compliment), and boy does it start off rough (high school news that’s supposed to be funny). Then it gets in a groove and finishes strong. I would’ve liked a scene or two more of MJ and Peter. And then the first credits scene comes up and who is there but none other than J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson crossed with Alex Jones. I don’t care a ton about fan-service, but this is the closest I’ve ever come to actually cumming in a movie theater. This put J-Lo in Hustlers to shame.

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Why is everyone so excited about J Jonah Jameson? He was a minor character in the original trilogy, certainly doesn’t seem important enough to warrant the hubbub.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:55 am
Superman: The Movie

J.K. Simmons is awesome and turning Jameson into an Alex Jones type is perfect.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I don't like that. At all.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]