Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 ... 235  Next
 Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW) 
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW)
RIP Ashley Massaro. I was really into her when she was in WWE. She never really had the talent, but she also was a part of WWE at a time when women's wrestling was treated like a sideshow rather than a legit event. It sounds like she took her own life, or maybe drug-related. Sounds like she was prepping for a comeback to the wrestling world, probably hoping to get scooped up by AEW.

Fri May 17, 2019 12:23 pm
100% That Bitch

RIP.

Her debut with Trish against Candice/Torrie/Victoria is iconic.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri May 17, 2019 9:17 pm
The Kramer

I'm friends with one of her cousins and actually met her at his wedding. He called me before it hit the news and I couldn't believe it. Such a huge bummer. :(

Sat May 18, 2019 11:28 am
New Server, Same X

She strikes me as someone who loved what she did and it's probably one of the most difficult things to go from wrestling in front of thousands of people and millions watching, to not doing it. Whether that played a part in whatever took her, I don't know. But it's pretty telling that her last tweet was showing all the fan mail she replied to. Going to be difficult for her fans to receive that in the mail, assuming it was sent.

Sat May 18, 2019 1:20 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Okay, officially time to unsubscribe and take a bit of a break from WWE... So glad I didn't watch it and purposefully spoiled myself.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun May 19, 2019 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Mister Ecks wrote:
I swear if Brock comes back on a long-term (lol his version at least) basis, I may stop watching. I can't suffer through that any more. It's sadistic at some point to subject yourself to that with something that should bring you some level of happiness.

Wow. How in the fuck does this happen?

In some weird, Stockholm Syndrome-level understanding, I get that Vince equates low ratings with no Brock as champion, so of course he needs to be brought back and fast. He still lives in a world where ratings dictate everything and nothing else is on the same level.

But man... I can't deal with this any more. I can't deal with them doing Brock and Roman next year at Mania again. I can't deal with any of it.

Long may AEW live.

Mon May 20, 2019 8:34 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Lesnar will be Champion again no later than SummerSlam. I wouldn't be surprised if he cashes in tonight, honestly. I'll check Twitter tomorrow to see.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I won't be shocked if it's tomorrow night. Give him the WWE Championship. They were never going to Saudi Arabia with Kofi Kingston as the champion.

WWE: Hey, it's not the Universal Championship again! LOL!

Kofi Kingston was never going to be a long-term champion and this sets up him and Roman at Summerslam.

WWE: Hey, it's not the Wrestlemania main-event again! LOL!

It's borderline sadistic right now. Why put on what was described as an incredible MITB match only to bring out Brock Lesnar and troll everyone? Why have Brock forever tied to a world championship? I don't hate Brock Lesnar. Give him some non-title matches.

What's worse is thinking that Becky Lynch, Seth Rollins, Kofi Kingston and basically everyone else are getting blamed for slumping ratings. These people have undeniable talent. It's not their fault you cannot sustain an interesting product anymore.

Shouldn't Vince be busy trying to revive a horrific trainwreck football league right now?

Mon May 20, 2019 2:33 pm
New Server, Same X

WWE introduced the new Hardcore Championship, calling it the 24/7 Championship. Honestly I hated the Hardcore title and the way it would be defended a dozen times in a night. It was a novelty that was cute once or twice, but if that's the go ahead every week to give a bunch of undercard performers a spot and a title reign, it's going to get old fast.

Why am I saying this like that's a shock?

Tue May 21, 2019 10:50 am
The Kramer

Ambrose is in AEW. I haven’t seen the show but it sounds like it was good.

Sun May 26, 2019 11:23 pm
New Server, Same X

I'm actually going to watch it, which is more I can say for any rival to WWE in the last twenty years. So that's saying something.

I can't imagine WWE knew this would happen to Ambrose, considering they gave him such a hero's sendoff and didn't just bury him like they had been. Either that or Reigns and Rollins have tremendous pull backstage.

Mon May 27, 2019 10:46 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'm definitely going to give AEW my attention. I doubt it's more than speculation, but can you imagine if the CM Punk rumors end up being true? Of course, just signing all these big names isn't going to get you far in the long-term, but everyone involved have actual passion for pro-wrestling, so producing a good product should come naturally.

And this couldn't be happening at a worse time for WWE. I'm interested to see how they're going to spin the inevitable AEW crowd chants, crowd signs, and more.

Mon May 27, 2019 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Ambrose apparently gave a pretty damning interview on the Talk is Jericho podcast. Basically confirms all of our worst fears and complaints about WWE and Vince McMahon.

Man... I've never ever wanted a company to succeed more than AEW against WWE. Have never cared about TNA, ROH, anything else that would be in the conversation. But I also don't want it to be the WWE Rejects show, where they constantly show bitterness and resentment towards WWE and Vince. TNA did that already. They need to stand on their own, and I hope they do.

As much as I enjoy seeing Brock Lesnar being an obnoxious dick, dancing around the ring and holding the briefcase like a boombox, it's choking the life out of WWE. It's awful to watch. And how, presently, are the biggest names and focuses of the company Brock Lesnar, Shane McMahon, Triple H, Randy Orton, Goldberg and The Undertaker?

Wed May 29, 2019 12:35 pm
The Kramer

I didn’t like him that much at first, but Matt Riddle has won me over and become NXT’s latest automatic show stealer. Really hope they have him face Gargano at Toronto.

Also, I haven’t made it past the first match so that’s not a spoiler. :P

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:54 pm
New Server, Same X

WWE will ruin Bray Wyatt and The Fiend when he hits the main roster again, but I'm enjoying the Firefly Fun House. It's super dark and seems like Bray is actually doing most of it on his own.

"Why won't you let me rest?"

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:02 am
New Server, Same X

Six weeks ago
Me: Oh, Bray Wyatt is hosting a twisted kids show. Meh, okay.

Four weeks ago
Me: Not into these catchphrases, but oh... "Let me in" is dark and interesting.

Two weeks ago
Me: Bray in a mask? Well that kind of suc... oh wait... that actually looks kind of cool.

This week
Bray: erase your mind...
Me: YOWIE WOWIE!!!

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:16 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I didn't bother watching the Super-Show Down today (haven't watched any of these types of shows), but I did watch some of the clips on Twitter from the Taker/Goldberg match...

Taker, although he was dropped on his head from a botched Jackhammer..., seems to be "okay." Goldberg, however, after also being dropped on his head from a botched Tombstone (likely both their faults)..., didn't look so lucky. People said he likely suffered a concussion from a turnbuckle spot (haven't seen it) very early and was out of it afterward, so hopefully he's not seriously injured (concussion aside...). I also saw a clip of Goldberg seemingly going for a Tombstone of his own and completely collapsing well before getting Taker up. Taker then seemed to make the decision to just end the match at that point with an awful Chokeslam.

Last edited by Corpse on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Feel for the man. But there comes a time to call it quits.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

It's poetic in a horribly dark way that this happened in Saudi Arabia. How much is someone's life worth? Both Undertaker and Goldberg had moments in that match where their lives could have been irrevocably changed. We all talk about how good Undertaker looks at 54, but when you get down to it, that is long past an age any other athlete would be expected to compete. All for a big paycheck.

And why do they have to trot out these "dream matches" for Saudi Arabia? First Shawn Michaels coming out of retirement, and now Taker and Goldberg. This is the result of putting all of your focus and energy on promoting one man (John Cena for a decade, now Brock Lesnar) and leaving so many others in limbo. If they put that energy into creating and growing multiple stars, they wouldn't need to rely on guys who shouldn't be in the ring any more to sell their product in a place they should never be to start with.

What are two huge reasons why being in Saudi Arabia is a horrible idea and shows how fucking money-hungry you are? I just explained one, and the other is that your female roster isn't allowed to compete so as to not upset the people. How much is your soul worth, Vince? I know he sold it a long, long time ago, but it's embarrassing to see a company that takes two steps forward and follows it with six steps backwards all the time.

If Undertaker wrestles ever again, he needs to be with someone young that can carry him in his weaker moments. For the love of God, give him one last match, make it count and make it watchable. Goldberg couldn't carry a match in his prime, let alone in 2019 against a man two years older than him. He is just about responsible now for ending the careers of not one, but two of my childhood favorites (the other being Bret Hart of course).

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:35 pm
New Server, Same X

Corpse wrote:

Feel for the man. But there comes a time to call it quits.

I do and I don't. He left the business in 2004 and had a good decade in there where he could have been a part-timer with some more money matches, but he left WWE and bad-mouthed them, before crawling back for some money.

I like Goldberg. I think he sold the shit out of their match on Smackdown. And despite not being able to put on a good match, his presence is always special.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:38 pm
New Server, Same X

I'm finally listening to the Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley podcast on Talk is Jericho. It's seriously so crazy to think that all the criticisms I have for WWE are completely true and justified to have. It's crazy to me to think that my vision of Vince is 100% truth. Listening to Jon's entire mindset during his late 2018 return right up to when he left is crazy. It's just all so crazy.

I remember thinking how mediocre his heel run was, but listening to him say he had all the same problems with the stupid promos sheds more light on even more of what I hate with WWE. I actually don't understand how WWE has had any success in the last number of years, how they just fall face-first into a good segment or good feud or whatever. I guess if you produce that much television per week, per month, per year, you're bound to accidentally find success. But like Becky Lynch's rise to the top, WWE and Vince also finds incredible ways to fuck everything up because if it succeeds without their entire help, they need to meddle in it until it either succeeds more or it completely blows up in their face.

The only thing I don't understand whatsoever is the press release they put out for his leaving the company. It is so against everything they've done. He suggests they just wanted to control the narrative on him leaving, but there has to be more to it than that.

Anyone who is still at all invested in wrestling and has all the same frustrations with WWE, give it a listen. It's not a man complaining about WWE for almost two hours, even though it is, it's a man who lost his passion for wrestling because WWE isn't a company about wrestling or wrestlers, at least not any more.

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:47 am
The Kramer

Baron Corbin is going to main event a ppv tomorrow. And Lesnar or Heyman is going to be the referee. Fun times. Can we skip to the next NXT event?

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:09 am
The Kramer

I’d say SS main event is going to be:

Roman Reigns v Brock Lesnar - Universal Title

Or

Roman Reigns v Shane McMahon - WWE World Title

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:11 am
New Server, Same X

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Baron Corbin is going to main event a ppv tomorrow. And Lesnar or Heyman is going to be the referee. Fun times. Can we skip to the next NXT event?

In the age of blurred lines between face and heel, and overseen by a man that hasn't evolved with wrestling, Baron Corbin getting heavily booed must mean he's their top heel and one of their top performers. That's obviously what Vince thinks. It's working, he's getting a heel reaction for being a heel. But he has no sense to know that there's a difference between a heel and a guy that people just don't like as one of the top guys on RAW.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:34 pm
The Kramer

Despite all the poor storytelling, I ended up really enjoying Stomping Grounds. It was just a fun and well-paced show that never got bogged down like Every other ppv in recent memory. Corbin is still awful, but Lacey Evans was the perfect choice for the referee as she is a much more interesting villain for Seth to overcome. If he, Lacey and Becky can make that match fun then maybe there is even hope for his inevitable title defense against Shane McMahon.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 ... 235  Next