Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Mule 

Grade?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Mule 
now we know

Post The Mule

Quote:
The Mule is a 2018 American crime drama film produced and directed by Clint Eastwood, who also plays the lead role. The screenplay, by Nick Schenk, is based on The New York Times article "The Sinaloa Cartel's 90-Year-Old Drug Mule" by Sam Dolnick, which recounts the true story of Leo Sharp, a World War II veteran who became a drug courier for the Sinaloa Cartel in his 80s.

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: The Mule
Man I thought this was super disappointing. Definitely, not what the trailers advertised which hurt most of all because instead of getting this gritty, epic crime drama we get what felt like to me to be some kind of weird, light hearted road trip movie that also wants to be a family drama for some reason. I mean the tone of this film is so damn inconsistent its crazy, and I still don't know what I was suppose to feel for Clint Eastwood's character. He's portrayed as this vulnerable, sympathetic old man in one scene, but then he's crazy grampa in another scene who just so happens to say shocking and random racist things as if its suppose to be really funny.Now, I'll admit that it did get a chuckle out of me every now and then and overall the movie is still pretty entertaining, but I was expecting so much more.

Eastwood is good in the role and quite engaging, but what a waste of such a strong supporting cast. Cooper, Pena and Fishburne might as well have not even been in this, because they were barely characters anyways.

C+

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:00 pm
now we know

Eastwood still has it. So effortless. So accomplished. Brilliant film-making and performances and screenplay. The crescendo could have done with a bit more heightened tension, but other than that it's difficult to find any fault. Each of Earl's close calls had the necessary amount of angst, and each of Earl's encounters with the cartel were effectively heart-thumping in their unpredictability (even the early little guys in the mechanic's shop). Each attempt at a chuckle hits a home run. It's real, not showy at all. Just good, honest, humble, life humour. Each old-man-living-in-a-modern-world contrast works as intended. And the film does a lovely job of showing the beautiful Mid-West. The film fires on all cylinders. Even Bradley Cooper and (surprisingly) Michael Pena were likable as DEA agents on Earl's trail.

One area I was unsure on is that even though I know it is 305kg, I'm not sure why just one heist gets Cooper a pat on the back from the chief. Only a runner was caught, none of the big guys were. I guess it's just the size of the haul that makes the difference here. But I found it a little insignificant for them to feel as they've come out on top. There will be another mule. That role is purposely expendable.

Anyway, it was a masterclass in direction from a genius in bringing non-flashy great stories to the screen, who I still find it amazing is still working at his age. Actually I found it amazing when he made Gran Torino and that was ten years ago! And The Mule is even better. I urge everyone to see it.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I waited quite a while to watch his, but I really dug it too. Eastwood has won me over with so many of his directorial efforts in the past and it's no different here. It's an angsty thriller but it keeps plenty of lightness throughout as well, I especially liked Earl's back story of having troubles with his family. Earl just casually ended up a cartel mule and his adventures, as well as the FBI investigating him are engaging. Eastwood perfectly cast himself in this, and while the activity on the other side of the border is perhaps a bit too flashy, it's great being with Earl on every ride.

A-

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]