Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hellboy (2019) 

Grade?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Hellboy (2019) 
now we know

Post Hellboy (2019)

Quote:
Hellboy is an American supernatural superhero film based on the Dark Horse Comics character Hellboy. The film is directed by Neil Marshall and stars David Harbour in the title role. The film also features Milla Jovovich, Ian McShane, Sasha Lane, Daniel Dae Kim, and Thomas Haden Church. It is a reboot of the Hellboy film series and is the third live-action installment in the film series. The film draws inspiration from the comic books Darkness Calls, The Wild Hunt, and The Storm and the Fury.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:20 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Hellboy (2019)
It has a few neat practical creature and goo-gore F/X (the Baba Yaga scene includes both and is the best in the film), and David Harbour is suitably burly and charismatic in the lead role, but this film is hideous in regard to editing and storytelling. Similar to Jonah Hex or Suicide Squad, it plays as the ribbons left behind after a thousand studio-mandated additions, alterations, and subtractions.

It tries to constantly stay in motion. If there must be dialogue, it has to be either bluntly expository or a one-liner (bonus point for exposition in the form of one-liners). Scenes do not flow, but rather smash into one another, and it becomes almost hard to follow the plot because one cannot remember what the characters were doing five minutes ago; oh, right, we are in a cave with a ghostly Merlin now...because...uh...oh, right, this supporting character was poisoned during the prior fight scene and needs a magical cure...and they were told Merlin's whereabouts by the witch who is...good...or bad but not as bad...oh, screw it. The screenplay also covers ground similar to the first Guillermo del Toro film (the death of Hellboy's father; Hellboy struggling to reconcile his salt-of-the-earth humanity with his demonic origin and apocalyptic potential, climaxing with him snapping his horns to reject evil) with infinitely less intelligence and nuance.

There is never any space left for menace or whimsy to simmer or for character dynamics to be explored; the experience just pummels and piles on, building to one of those superhero showdowns where an iconic city is destroyed without any suspense or quantifiable stakes.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:35 pm
Extraordinary

HELLBOY 2019

Sadly utterly forgettable. The best thing about my viewing experience was watching this in a 4dx theatre. I liked the motion and rumble in the seats and the water splashes. It was a different experience. The film itself just wasn't very fun. It got pretty gory and ridiculous at the end with these oversized beasts but it just wasn't that exciting or interesting unfortunately. I thought the guy playing Hellboy was decent in the role. Byrne was over the top. Milla meh and that pig warthog thing was bad cgi or whatever that was.

Grade - D

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 am
Forum General

Yeah this movie was a fucking mess, but I didn't hate it. Like David I enjoyed some of the practical creature and gore effects, but from a editing and storytelling perspective this movie was atrocious. It felt so rushed at times and I didn't think any of the characters in this got any proper character development despite the movie being two hours long. Harbour was an ok Hellboy, but he just doesn't have the same level of charisma or screen presence that Pearlman brought to the role at least IMO he didn't. The rest of the cast doesn't fare much better either which is a shame, because I'm a big fan of Ian McShane and I've liked Daniel Dae Kim in other stuff before, but they are just sort of there and don't even get me started on Milla Jovovich's hammy, over the top villain performance. I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of sequel or spinoff with the Thomas Hadden Church character though. His scenes were kind of fun even though he wasn't in it much at all.

C-

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]