Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 WOKJ mainsite updates - Youtube review up! 
Hold the door!

Post Re: WOKJ mainsite updates
I don’t want my real world friends to join I like the anonymity.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:19 pm
now we know

Sure. Who doesn't? But anonymity brings trolls. Is that really the environment we want to create? We're a small community yet nobody actually knows each other, which means we're continually poised to lose members.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:03 pm
Keeping it Light

zwackerm wrote:
I don’t want my real world friends to join I like the anonymity.

It sounds like they're not very close friends. It could also be that we all have friends which are just not into films much.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:05 am
Is this heaven, or is this hell?

Algren wrote:
The challenge will always be to bring in totally new people. New regulars. Harry Warden is an old member, unbanned and allowed back. Hardly a triumph. I can only think of one person that's brought in totally new people, and that's me. stuffp and Felipe. My real-world friends. I don't see anyone else doing this.

For all the money and effort you're spending, you don't have much of a knack for understanding the game. You have to start small.

It's difficult to get people excited about a low traffic forum. Especially in this day and age with places like twitter and reddit where the volume is incomparable, and those happen to be the main places people are finding WOKJ from. We have discussed adding a like button which would tap into some of the narcissism of social media these days, but it's nearly impossible with PHP unless you're a coder who can make it yourself

Getting eyeballs to WOKJ has not been a problem. We are linked on the side bar of r/box office which new people are clicking on every day. There is over 50 registrations since December who either made 0 posts or less than 3, which means the number of people who found WOKJ and turned away before registering is at minimum hundreds, if not in the thousands. The last gift card contest brought a whole bunch of people here who had a post history on reddit showing interest in box office, but none of them wanted to post about it here. So the question is why is it so hard to make people interested in staying? Many horses led to water who didn't drink. The most likely answer is the volume difference and that they already have their routine posting somewhere else. WOKJ has no specific brand - it's good at box office, but it's not really a box office forum. Awardswatch for example which gets more new members than us has a specific thing, both tracking Oscars and being the best type of forum for a snobby arthouse poster, who's also gay. What specific type of poster does WOKJ attract? Smart ones? But everyone on the internet thinks they're smart. Plus the reality is the content on WOKJ has slipped in a lot of ways which means there's less to make up for the traffic difference. The people with the biggest social personalities on WOKJ also had the biggest social personalities in real life (loyal, etc.) which means at some point they had a real life to get to. I think a good type of poster to get would be a normal person who hasn't gotten into a routine posting about movies anywhere else on the internet yet. Maybe 14 year old posters or something would fit that. But not sure how to target those - WOKJ Tumblr account?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:06 am
now we know

You haven't posted on Facebook for 2 months.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:02 am
Lick my balls

Shack, it sounds like a mentor or a short marketing course might be helpful. Have you got someone you can get advice from about this stuff?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:29 am
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
You haven't posted on Facebook for 2 months.

No one uses FB anymore. With that said, it doesn’t hurt to update every now and then. I’ll do so 2 or 3 times a week.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:28 am
now we know

What an idiotic statement. If truly nobody used Facebook anymore, then it would hurt to update every now and then. It would be a complete and utter waste of time. But Facebook has over a billion active users. Are those users beneath you?

I suspect your "no one uses FB anymore" statement is more about being bitter from having zero success using it to attract people to the site. But that is 100% on you (or whoever managed the FB page). The page was being run by someone that has no clue how to run a FB page, and thus no care went into it.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:33 am
Site Owner

You're all doing great, nice to see forward progress on the site, kudos!

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Nice of you to fly in and drop a line Eagle, don't forgot to play the Endgame Game this month http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=85555

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:38 am
On autopilot for the summer

This might be the most trivial thing ever. But can we set a ranking system
For grading movies. I literyjust went into a thread where the first five posts were metacritic, A scale, three thumbs up (whatever the hell that means) imdb, etc. call it a pet peeve, but can’t we just decide one grading system as a whole?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:35 pm
Lick my balls

Score /64 chico rolls
is how I've been doing it in my head. We should at least make things more specific, if it's gonna be calibrated...say, rating /10000.00 - decimal places required - so something like Wild Wild West would be 2648.14 /10000.00, whereas Babe 2: Pig in the City is closer to 82903.755 (similarly, the Lord of the Rings scores 9848216.83712 ⅔ /10000.00, and Finding Neverland narrowly scrapes past 108371962209617.0940818527⁴ /10000.00).

Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:35 am

Well I hate to do this guys, but it looks like KJ is going to have to shut down. We just can't handle the financial cost

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:07 am

April Fool's :mer:

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:07 am
Indiana Jones IV

Shack wrote:
April Fool's :mer:

I thought it was funny Shack. :thumbsup:

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:15 am
Indiana Jones IV

Love the work you are doing on the site, Shack. Both cosmetic and content.

Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Thank you lilmac, good job on the marketing and contests as well

This is Game of Thrones week, we have a roundtable article about who's going to win and I am going to write something about its legacy. If anyone else wants to write a GOT themed article let me know

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Everyone follow KJ's official instagram account! https://www.instagram.com/world_of_kj_boxoffice_movies/ Thanks lilmac!

Game of Thrones roundtable article is up in the morning, it's a good one. I was swayed by a few of the ideas

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:47 am

Hello,

We use WordPress Multisite. We have 3 site installed. The Yoast can edit the pages snippet only on the main site. Not in the other 2 sites.
We use the WordPress free version of the Yoast. Do we need to buy license in order the Yoast to work on the all of the sites from the WordPress multisite?

Thank you.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:38 am

jonipie wrote:
Hello,

We use WordPress Multisite. We have 3 site installed. The Yoast can edit the pages snippet only on the main site. Not in the other 2 sites.
We use the WordPress free version of the Yoast. Do we need to buy license in order the Yoast to work on the all of the sites from the WordPress multisite?

Thank you.

I do not have the Yoast, so I can't tell you

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:39 am
Indiana Jones IV

Thanks for fixing the site issues today Shack

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Check out WOKJ's youtube channel

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:08 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: WOKJ mainsite updates - Youtube review up!
Maybe when a new article is written it can also have a companion youtube video discussing that article in some fashion by the writer or whomever likes being in front of a camera. Maybe someone also go over the box office like MovieMath or any number of folks online. Doesn't need to be fancy but that would be another way to build a user base I guess.

** I was diggin the review but had to stop 90 secs in since I haven't watched the film yet but I'll sub for sure

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:39 am
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: WOKJ mainsite updates - Youtube review up!
Good stuff. I love it Shack!

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3