Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Alita: Battle Angel 

Grade?
A 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
C 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Alita: Battle Angel 
now we know

Post Alita: Battle Angel

Quote:
Alita: Battle Angel is a 2019 American cyberpunk action film based on Yukito Kishiro's manga Gunnm, also known as Battle Angel Alita. Produced by James Cameron and Jon Landau, the film is directed by Robert Rodriguez from a screenplay by Cameron and Laeta Kalogridis. The film stars Rosa Salazar in the title role, with supporting roles portrayed by Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Connelly, Mahershala Ali, Ed Skrein, Jackie Earle Haley and Keean Johnson.

Alita: Battle Angel was released in the United States on February 14, 2019, by 20th Century Fox in Real D 3D, Dolby Cinema and IMAX 3D.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Post Re: Alita: Battle Angel
This had great potential to be great and had all the pieces to do it. Cameron, Rodriguez, budget, visuals, and interesting concept/popular anime property. Unfortunately it falls short trying support it's weight with a 2 hour run time, weak script, and story.

Liked- The film is visually great with some cool action scenes that really draw you in.

Disliked- This film needed at least 30 minutes to an hour added to it so that scenes could better flow together as well as flesh out multiple characters motivations and purpose. And the ending would be the equivalent of if "Avengers: Infinity War" ended with Thor's Arrival in Wakanda.... without him laying waste to Thanos's children. And you just know that there won't be a sequel.

Throughout the movie I kept thinking ok I can forgive this or that because of the great action scene we just witnessed but by the 3rd or 4th one you'll be thinking what's the point?

C

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:07 pm
Forum General

I really enjoyed this. Yes, it needed to be longer to aid character development, but it was a blast to watch. I didn't even mind the ending. More to like about this than not for me. From the people who have seen it at my theater, WOM seems pretty good. Hopefully it cleans up WW so there's a shot at a sequel.

B+

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:27 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I still liked it, but this movie has very weird pacing. It seemed like the entire story took place in about 3 days. It is rushing through its plot so quickly that nothing really matters. And all the emotional drama/fish out of water comedy land so soft because shes only been alive for 3 freakin days. It really needed an extra ten minutes or so to let the story breathe, just a half minute extra here and there to put things into context. I’ll point to Anchorman 2 as an example where a super cut turned a good movie into one of all the time best, just by letting the jokes breathe a little.

But the action scenes are dope. It was worth watching just for those. And since high-octane sci-fi action is what I’m here for, I’ll give it a passing grade despite all my previous complaints.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:15 pm
Romosexual!

A

Loved it! Alita! The world building! The Action! The CGI! Everything!
I want more please!

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:31 pm
Extraordinary

Cool action, gorgeous effects [Alita's character design was amazing]... but it feels like it's missing something with its story.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:22 am
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A/A-

Awesome

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I wasn't impressed by Alita: Battle Angel. It's just another effects-heavy actioner set in yet another mega city. I got strong Ready Player One and Mortal Engines vibes from it. There were a few cool scenes and shots, but not once did it pull me in to its world. It is quite an empty, shallow film. Its sole selling point is the motion-capture performance. Nothing else stands out. The score is your usual action spectacle stuff. They missed a real opportunity here. The cinematography doesn't wow. And the film doesn't take risks. It's fairly safe, with no real depth. There is never the idea that any character has inner struggle. Alita wants to be a warrior, so she becomes one. Idu doesn't want to put a new warrior body on her, but without any convincing he does it. The film goes through the motions with little conflict, or wonder, or alarm, or even flair.

On the whole you could tell it was directed by Rodriguez as opposed to Cameron, and I used to love Rodriguez (I suppose his style is more suited to superficial teenagers as I once was). It isn't even particularly beautiful to look at. I realise people are being told by the media that it is, but it really is not. Is the goal with film these days to produce something lifelike or to use that lifelike creation to elicit a response and a connection from the viewer? Because Rodriguez has failed if his intention was the latter. And it needed one more finale (where she takes down a James Cameron-looking Edward Norton). When the credits roll, it is hard to shake the feeling of "is that it?".

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I liked it a lot. All the cyborg characters are pretty cool and among them Alita stands out through her fish out of water story line. It's nice to see Waltz in a good guy role for a change as Alita's father and all the action in the film is well visualized and edited. The Alita-Hugo romance is quite lame though, mainly because the guy playing Hugo has no charisma I think, and Ali doesn't fit his part either. So sometimes it's not able to escape being just another blockbuster, but it wins me over through its futuristic world building and Alita having a ton of heart (great role from Salazar). The film surprised me too, as it didn't look good from the trailers and it appeared to be a budget wasted, but I had a really good time with how it turned out. Fun to see Norton pop up at the end too.

B+

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:50 am
now we know

I also couldn't get to grips with Alita's voice. For me it sounded like Jennifer Lawrence.

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Child Actor

Her emotions!!! Her eyes!!! her mouth!!! fuck the movie...

A+ for that... for the movie I don't even care..

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:32 am
now we know

I've found my favourite movie critic.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I enjoyed this, but it definitely had problems. Outside of Alita and Christolph Waltz's character this movie felt pretty hollow IMO. The visual effects might look great and the action sequences might be really well done, but it's hard to become all that invested in a film that doesn't seem to care about anything else besides it's two main characters. It was also kind of sad seeing talented actors like Mahershala Ali and Jennifer Connelly be so wasted and underused and what the hell was up with that bizarre cameo with Edward Norton lol. Seriously, why was he even in this and for an unaccredited role of all things? I did enjoy Jeff Fahey's cameo, but the cameos from Edward Norton, Jai Courtney and Casper Van Dien felt so weird to me. The so called love story/ romance in this was pretty cringe inducing and unnecessary as well.

B-

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:58 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I really liked it. Scifi is my favorite genre, and it's pretty rare to get good scifi flicks. This one looks cool and has good action. The cast is good, with Alita being the standout. Both the character and the technical execution are excellent. She carries the film.

I actually think the love story is good, but the actor playing the love interest is kinda dull. They really needed someone with a darker edge to play the role.

And of course, it's setup for a sequel. So you get a really cool cliffhanger, but no real ending, as they expected to continue the story, but probably never will.

I also liked much of the mythology and world building, but they pretty much left 50% out of the things we should have learnt. We don't REALLY know who Alita was, and why the war was fought. And who Nova is, and what he wants. All of this was probably left for the sequel.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:17 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Great sci-fi action adventure that is bogged by multiple sub-plots and too much of overstuffing. The world building is great and whenever there is action its amazing. I wish it could get a sequel that would focus on the main story.

B

Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]