Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Flava'd and Fifty: 2018 
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd and Fifty: 2018
"I tell you lies, but it's only sometimes"

35. TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME by The 1975

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:40 am
The Kramer

"Time to kill was always an illusion"

34. Graffiti by Chvrches

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:43 am
The Kramer

"And all I got left is this shit attitude"

33. Almost Had to Start a Fight / In and Out of Patience by Parquet Courts

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:47 am
The Kramer

"She needs to love me still, until I've had my fill"

32. Black Moon by Screaming Females

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:51 am
The Kramer

"Sirens screaming down the avenue, just another story on the evening news"

31. Love Wins by Carrie Underwood

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:53 am
The Kramer

Nothing like a good ole ode to cheating like the 1975 deliver here. "Don't think it was 3 times, can't be more than 4 times" he says. But I like how even he lashes out at them with the line about texting another boy, he turns around to an apology by the end of the chorus. That's somewhat mature amongst all the cheating at least.

Chvrches decided to work with Greg Kurstin this year who is not my favorite person in the biz to say the least. He somehow made a lame Foo Fighters album after all. Yet Chvches were able to come out mostly in tact. Sure it is overproduced compared to their fantastic older material, but there's are 5 to 6 really good songs on here, lead by Graffiti. Even if love is dead, your art will live on.

Parquet Courts got woke this year with the help of Dangermouse and the combination made them infinitely better musicians. Sometimes you just have to find your muse. Almost reflects this, as a goofy band wants to know what they should do when they get really angry. Well the answer is to just rock and keep the people moving, no more complacency!

Screaming Females have been up and down, though they've never put out a bad record their last one was just kinda boring compared to Ugly. Well they found their magic here. The intensity level is all the way up for this album. The haunting and aggressive Black Moon shows this off. It's kind of like making love to a praying mantis, sure it will feel nice for awhile but the comedown is getting your head bitten off.

Love Wins is so corny that I am almost ashamed to Love It. But even though her album is full of terrific R&B-tinted songs about being alone, its this dabble into political waters that has stuck with me the most. Carrie isn't just calling for love to win over hate, that is easy. She wants to defeat apathy. The idea that people can shrug at all this death that is now a regular happening. South Park tackled this with more gallows humor, having gun shots accompany any scene that takes place at the school (and of course the line "Outside of school is where children are supposed to be safe!") But I think Carrie is coming from the same place. She just believes it can be another way. I hope she's right but we'll see.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:12 am
The Kramer

"So before you go out searching, don't decide what you might find"

30. Be More Kind by Frank Turner

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:27 pm
The Kramer

"If we make it or we don't, we won't be alone"

29. We're Going Home by Vance Joy

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:31 pm
The Kramer

"You're all I think about, dream about, talk about, never doubt, want it now, tell me now if you want it too"

28. Like You Like That by L Devine

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:35 pm
The Kramer

"I feel the last old building burnin', I've got nowhere left to put my feet"

27. So Right so Clean by Cloud Nothings

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:39 pm
The Kramer

"Fuck work, you're here"

26. Every Day's the Weekend by Alex Lahey

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:45 pm
The Kramer

A softer set here lead off by Mr. Frank Turner, who last scored a top 3 song in 2015 with Get Better. This is a nice companion to Love Wins. It has the same sappy message, and a hook that is an unavoidable ear worm. Unlike Carrie, who believes in people coming together, Frank is more on the side of encouraging every person to make an individual impact. Just don't be a dick, it isn't that hard.

Vance Joy making my list has to be the biggest surprise of the year. It's not Riptide was completely awful but they just seemed like such a throwaway artist. I thought Siri was lying to me when she told me what the name of this song was when it popped up on the Alternative playlist. Surely this was a brand new artist making the lead single for Beasts Of The Southern Wild 2. But nope, Vance Joy have officially made the best Mumford and Songs song ever. So grats to them and I definitely not cast doubt over their next album.

L Devine's dancing is so adorably awful that I highly recommend watching the music video. It also fits with this song so well. She don't give a fuck what anybody else thinks of her dancing, she is stuck in her feelings about someone and whether they reciprocate is all that matters. A confession that everyone can bounce to, whether you can do it or not.

So you may be wondering that since I ranked a Cloud Nothings song here and not last year, when they put out their best album, that SRSC must be my favorite in their whole catalog. Wrongo. Usually with CN I can't figure out which song is the best off an album (Up To The Surface v Things Are Wrong???). This year was the first time I saw them live though, and when they played their entire new album SRSC was the clear stand out and really awesome in concert. It's smooth riifs are countered by the lyrics about living in a gilded world, where everything burns but looks beautiful while doing so.

I love the philosophy of every day's the weekend. She is just using it as an analogy for how she feels when her man is around, but I think it could even deeper. Fuck calendars I'll do what I want on a Tuesday if I feel good enough. And going by the other fun songs on her album, I think Alex would side with me.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:01 pm
Devil's Advocate

Graffiti was the first CHRVCHES song I heard, and I've been a fan ever since

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:52 pm
The Kramer

Recap:

26. Every Day’s the Weekend - Alex Lahey
27. Like You Like That - L Devine
28. So Right so Clean - Cloud Nothings
29. We’re Going Home - Vance Joy
30. Be More Kind - Frank Turner
31. Love Wins - Carrie Underwood
32. Black Moon - Screaming Females
33. Almost Had to Start a Fight / In and Out of Patience - Parquet Courts
34. Graffiti - Chvrches
35. TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME - The 1975
36. Bathed in Light - The Dirty Nil
37. Bartier Cardi - Cardi B
38. Shoot Me Straight - Brothers Osbourne
39. Short Court Style - Natalie Prass
40. Yikes - Kanye West
41. APESHIT - The Carters
42. Major System Error - Marmozets
43. Without Me - Halsey
44. Turn Off The Light - Kim Petras
45. What A Time To Be Alive - Superchunk
46. Always Remember Us This Way - Lady Gaga
47. Go Out Fighting - Dr. Dog
48. Over and Over and Over - Jack White
49. Plug Walk - Rich The Kid
50. Hunger - Florence and the Machine

Second half begins now!

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:34 am
The Kramer

"And we took my mask off finally, so we could see the original face underneath"

25. Tell Me What You See by Fucked Up

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:40 am
The Kramer

"And I will be there with my sleeper, dreaming beneath the moon"

24. And, Goodnight by Ty Segall

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:43 am
The Kramer

"Meditation just makes you more strung out"

23. Charity by Courtney Barnett

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:46 am
The Kramer

"Just like nicotine, heroine, morphine, Suddenly I'm a fiend and you're all I need"

22. Never Be The Same by Camila Cabello

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:50 am
The Kramer

"Talk to me in whispers of bad intention"

21. I'll Make You Sorry by Screaming Females

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:58 am
The Kramer

Fucked Up went from a hardcore punk band to a we're gonna make rock operas now punk band a few albums. And while they made some excellent songs like Queen Of Hearts, this is the first time I've been with me them all the way to the end, 90 minutes later. It's hard to tell with his voice so gruff, but I guess it is about a guy who is very bored with his life meeting a woman who shows him a wonderful new world, and this new perspective changes the man for the better. Tell Me is early in the album and occurs right as the transition from colorless to kaleidoscope begins.

Some might say that ending your 20 song album with a 12 minute jamfest would be a poor idea. 12 months ago I would have been one of those some. Yet as he always does, Ty bucks convention and proves everyone wrong. If 12 minute jams that have about 10 total lines of lyrics aren't your bag, you can move along now.

Courtney's follow up album (we will pretend the thing with the ear Vilelator never happened) cashed in on all the promise her first one showed. This riff is so catchy, girl knows how to play guitar. And the lyrics about just waiting around for your partner to make a decision about you or anything involving the future are ever potent. To be honest I probably relate more to the guy she is talking about than her side of the issue, but she is worth emphasizing with.

I called Vance Joy the biggest surprise of the year but Camila is right behind him. I never had any reason to believe Fifth Harmony had a member with enough talent to shine once left on her own. And I remember back when everyone thought she was nuts for doing so. Why throw away easy money and fame? Well this is why. Camila's got some feelings she needs to work through and turns out the other girls were actually holding her back after all. NBTS has an addictive hook and pre-hook that fits the theme of the song. But, as we find out later, this type of high always has consquences.

The two Screaming Females songs were pretty much equal to me when I first heard the album. IMYS got pushed over mostly because they only played this one and freakin killed it. I was hella sweaty from that pit. It also has a great guitar solo near the end. And it puts Black Moon in better context. She warned them about a song too late though lol.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:17 am
The Kramer

Update coming, but because I am short on time I'm only gonna do 3 this time.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:15 pm
The Kramer

"Ain't nobody else can relate, Boy I like that you ain't afraid"

20. God is a Woman by Ariana Grande

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:19 pm
The Kramer

"I should aim at everybody in the game, pick a name"

19. The Ringer by Eminem

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:22 pm
The Kramer

"Don't overthink it, just dive in and let go"

18. I Like the Way by Against The Current

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:24 pm
The Kramer

What a crazy year it was for Ariana, full of highs (this album and her first #1 single) , whys (Pete Davidson? Really?) and cries (RIP Mac Miller). GiaW is peak Grande, her best since the My Everything album. That beat sinks into your mind just as her erotic lyrics sink into your libido. And this is probably the best sex is god analogy since Closer by NIN or The Da Vinci Code.

Eminem shatters the rap world with The Ringer (and some others on the album like Lucky You). There's no hook on this song, barely any structure, its just Em letting go of all his old-man frustration. And angry Eminem is always the best Eminem. If the bad reception of Revival motivated him to do this for the rest of his career then it was well worth it.

Against the Current was my #1 most anticipated album of the year, and while I was slightly disappointed they just made a pop album as opposed to a multi-genre album like In Our Bones, they can still do pop better than anybody. This ode to youth and how love feels when you're young is the best example of the era. Nobody likes the way other people's cigarettes smell, so having that stimuli trigger a positive reaction is something special. It also informs us why Chrissie is so sad on the rest of the album. That strong feeling doesn't go away just because the other person starts to feel differently.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next