Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 1451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 59  Next
 Marvel/DC/Comic Book Movie Discussion - Majors arrested 
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Marvel/DC/Comic Book Movie Discussion
Maybe Gamora will stay dead now.

And how did Disney not know about these “offensive” tweets already? They go back nine years.

Note to anyone famous on Twitter: Just delete your account.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Wow. James Gunn being fired is huge out-of-left-field news. The Guardians of the Galaxy films feel so intricately tied to him and his quirky sensibilities, more than most Marvel productions. The old tweets I have seen in a few articles are on the gross side to be sure (particularly since there is no real humor in them, just junior-high-level provocation), but I don't know... It is also disturbing because it is a win for the Trump trolls who targeted him and turned the old tweets into a story. There is also a landmine field of irony there considering their god is...Donald Trump, a proud clown prince of vulgarity, chauvinism, etc. on a level light years beyond a couple ribald sentences by the writer of Tromeo and Juliet.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 pm
The Kramer

I guess this is revenge for Roseanne. And Disney doesn't wanna be accused of playing sides. Even though they do. Hopefully they can work it out with Gunn though.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:51 pm
Everyone should be fired from all jobs! Simply have robots do everything by being programmed blind to race, gender, height, or other defining features and also have no desires or sense of humor. Done and done. Really, though, where does this end? Every stupid joke or lame attempt at "humor" (which is subjective, shocker!) could be twisted into something profane/offensive.

I mean, an episode of Nathan For You dealt with Nathan setting himself up to possibly be a registered sex offender by exposing his genitals to a group of children if a task wasn't completed successfully (the specifics escape me, but that's the roundabout). Does Nathan need to be hung in the public square to set an example of what 2018 considers appropriate for anything deemed "offensive"?

Also, to somehow equivocate Roseanne being fired over a tweet from present day and James Gunn being fired for tweets from near a decade ago seems flimsy to me.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:44 pm
now we know

Absolutely ridiculous. Hope GotG3 fails now.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

The biggest offense of the tweets is that they're horribly unfunny. That's why he was fired, right? If you're going to swing that big, be funny at least.

But seriously, we're on a tight rope of a line today. I don't think he should be fired, but there's something incredible about the fact that celebrities are getting brought down by the likes of Twitter. This wouldn't happen fifteen years ago. It's crazy how social media has evolved to the point of monster territory. Of course, some of the blame has to go on the user, not the platform. But compare to the case of Bill Cosby, someone who had been dogged by sexual assault allegations for years, but social media eventually caught up to him and took him down. And of course, many, many others.

It's insanity.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:24 pm
Defeats all expectations

I am not surprised Disney severed ties with him. It has a family-friendly and "puritan" image to protect. I also think Gunn will be fine without Disney and continue to make films elsewhere.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:39 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

This is kinda stupid. Mainly because... THEY WROTE ARTICLES ABOUT HIS TWEETS A FEW YEARS AGO. And he apologized then.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:43 pm
Romosexual!

Payback for his anti-trump tweets :( so unfair

Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:35 am
Defeats all expectations

If only these people apply the same degree of scrutiny to their figure of idolatry.

And it serves their agenda to rejuvenate old celeb news to divert attention from news about the government.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:20 pm
Romosexual!

i.hope wrote:
If only these people apply the same degree of scrutiny to their figure of idolatry.

And it serves their agenda to rejuvenate old celeb news to divert attention from news about the government.

Fucking sucks!

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

Seems excessive to me. I understand if they were racist or something but I think telling those shitty jokes does not mean your character is automatically rotten.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:13 pm
now we know

Can someone share the tweets?

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Ehh... I think I'd have to link to an asshat who made a collage of them, but I don't want to. Because the same dude also put tweets about pizza in the collage.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:14 pm
Devil's Advocate

Algren wrote:
Can someone share the tweets?

I didn't realize there were so many (apparently hundreds), I thought he just had a few like saying Three Men Who Had Sex With A Baby and the best part of getting raped is not getting raped anymore afterwards. I understand Disney's reaction now, this many is reflective of a fucked person, and reportedly had some other blog and Instagram activity that all points in the pedo direction (including communication with a pedo Huston Huddleston). I'm surprised at these articles defending him, you can't have someone like this directing a movie kids enjoy

Last edited by Shack on Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:18 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

"apparently hundreds" lol

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:02 pm
Devil's Advocate

Gunn once posted on his blog a video of a choir of 13-16 year olds singing the song I Touch Myself and wrote "Huston Huddleston posted this video on my Facebook page with the note “I thought you’d appreciate this.” My response: “Appreciate it?!! I just came all over my own face!!” (Huddleston is now a convicted pedo)

I think liberals have better hills to die on than the guy who made a bunch of tweets about rape, having sex with babies and pushing videos like that getting to keep his job making major blockbusters enjoyed by kids. I know if I was an employer and found out someone dipped in that pedo shit, even if it was jokes, I wouldn't want to hire them. Whether there was really hundreds or not (I guess there isn't evidence of hundreds, but he deleted 10,000 posts and like 1/3 of his account, so most likely there was a lot), he went too far. And we have no way of knowing how real his interest is, Disney doesn't want to keep him on Guardians 3 and find out a year from now he's just straight up a pedo

Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:35 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Again, where was this faux outrage from the right 6 years ago when this was all discovered, and when he originally apologized?

(hint: Gunn wasn't as political back then, and he wasn't anti-trump, so y'all didn't give a fuck)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:59 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Also, there isn't a single reputable source regarding that Huston Huddleston thing.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:01 pm
The Kramer

You're mostly right Shack, but I think the biggest issue is that this happened so long ago. Pedo jokes are still fucked up, but I do think its different coming from a comedian who probably thought Slither was as big as it would get for them.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:44 pm
now we know

Thanks for sharing his tweets. He seems to have a sick sense of humour. He loves little boy jokes. Eh, I feel like Disney should've done their research when they hired him. Discovering these now and firing him is silly and they should've just said "well, we missed this before but we will be more vigilant in our hiring practices as we go on".

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Shack wrote:
(I guess there isn't evidence of hundreds, but he deleted 10,000 posts and like 1/3 of his account, so most likely there was a lot)

There are apps that mass-delete tweets without you examining the content of each tweet. So it does not mean that the deleted tweets were deleted because they were problematic.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:50 pm
now we know

So Rian Johnson deleted 20,000 of his tweets. His statement:

"No official directive at all, and I don’t think I’ve ever tweeted anything that bad. But it’s nine years of stuff written largely off the cuff as ephemera, if trolls scrutinizing it for ammunition is the new normal, this seems like a “why not?” move."

Makes sense. Though Variety translates his use of "troll" into "right-wing trolls". They never miss an opportunity to look foolish. It's not the right-wingers, it's the snowflake lefties that have started this whole thing of digging up people's pasts and holding them accountable in a new era.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Signing up to social media should come with terms and conditions that include Miranda rights.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:59 pm
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
So Rian Johnson deleted 20,000 of his tweets. His statement:

"No official directive at all, and I don’t think I’ve ever tweeted anything that bad. But it’s nine years of stuff written largely off the cuff as ephemera, if trolls scrutinizing it for ammunition is the new normal, this seems like a “why not?” move."

Makes sense. Though Variety translates his use of "troll" into "right-wing trolls". They never miss an opportunity to look foolish. It's not the right-wingers, it's the snowflake lefties that have started this whole thing of digging up people's pasts and holding them accountable in a new era.

I guess you don't know Rian Johnson is constantly targeted by "right-wing trolls" for his anti-empire, pro-diversity Star Wars movie?

Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 59  Next