Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Borg vs. McEnroe 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Borg vs. McEnroe 
Wallflower

Post Borg vs. McEnroe

Quote:
It's the summer of 1980 and Björn Borg (Sverrir Gudnason) is the top tennis player in the world, dominating the sport both on and off the court. A powerful and rigorously disciplined player, there is only one obstacle in his pursuit of a record-breaking fifth Wimbledon championship: the highly talented but ferociously abrasive young American, John McEnroe (a perfectly cast Shia LaBeouf). With three days until the tournament begins, Borg trains religiously in his lavish Monaco home, aided by his coach and mentor Lennart (Stellan Skarsgård) and girlfriend Mariana (Tuva Novotny). But McEnroe's explosive confidence and wrecking-ball persona continue to infiltrate Borg's ice-cool and normally unshakable temperament. With each man the antithesis of the other, both players delve into their formative memories as the climactic tournament draws near and anticipation reaches fever pitch. Visceral and breathlessly tense, the match itself--regarded as one of the greatest of all time--would mark the pinnacle of the 'Fire and Ice' rivalry between Borg and McEnroe; an exhilarating battle of personalities that set the world of tennis alight.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:54 am
now we know

Of course I am aware of the Borg-McEnroe rivalry, but I never lived through it so it does not hold a special place in my memories. Nadal-Federer, now that's what I am waiting for! But this was an okay film. You could almost call it just Borg with how much it idolises him and favours him in terms of screen time and backstory. The final is the most thrilling part of the film even though it tries hard to hide the actor's lack of tennis skill. Overall, the film is a bit of a bore, getting bogged down in too many pointless flashbacks to childhood conflicts in multiple "this is what built a champ" moments. But it is misguided because unless you are old enough to have lived through the drama of Borg and McEnroe, all this film shows you is two people devoid of any likable personalities waiting to meet on the court. Sure, it shows McEnroe's obsession and petulance, and Borg's ritualistic nature, but so what? And I am not sure Shia LaBeouf was the best person to play John McEnroe.

C+

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Borg vs. McEnroe
I'm a sucker for sport films and I loved this too. Shia and the guy playing Borg are both excellent. The journey of both from their beginnings in tennis to that 80's Wimbledon final is engaging and fascinating to watch. The finals match is very well shot too and a great score underlines the film. Very pleased with this.

A-

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:46 am
now we know

I no longer think we have similar taste in films. I was sure you'd not like this, especially since you don't really care for Tennis.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:50 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Well, I'm a casual tennis fan I think. This just hits all the right buttons for me with great characters.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 am
now we know

Oh, maybe you are. Just never heard you talk about or care for tennis. I made an assumption.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]