Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Good Time 

Rate this film:
A 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Good Time 
Pure Phase

Post Good Time

Quote:
Good Time is a 2017 American crime-drama film directed by Ben and Josh Safdie and written by Josh Safdie and Ronald Bronstein.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Good Time
What a ride! After a heist gone awry results in his disabled brother (co-director Ben Safdie) being arrested, a low-level thief (Robert Pattinson) races against time to raise bail money, resulting in a madcap evening of dangerous encounters and improvisational scheming, culminating in a conflict over a Sprite bottle filled with LSD. Just months after delivering a career-best performance in The Lost City of Z, Pattinson tops himself again with a charismatic, electrifying portrayal of desperate criminality reminiscent of Al Pacino's turn in Dog Day Afternoon. The film, scored with Tangerine Dream flair by experimental musician Oneohtrix Point Never, is a combustible, neon-lit medley of colorful personalities and nocturnal menace. It is a frequently hilarious, at times brutal, and ultimately poignant enterprise which only builds and builds and builds in intrigue as it wildly careens toward its finale.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:00 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I know this is supposed to be incredible but I have next to no interest in it.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:33 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Don't see it then, lol.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:58 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I decided to give this a shot after being told I would love it and deciding to see something on a whim.

I can fully admit that this is not my type of film typically but I found this borderline torturous to sit through. It's a vile, ugly movie with a cold heart and direction that feels like it is trying to emulate many better films. I despised every character and wanted them all to die by the end. The two brothers were the worst. Constantine is one of the most unlikable characters in a movie I've seen in quite some time. I don't think Robert Pattinson is the most gifted actor but I do think he at least made an effort here to give this character some soul - the way he is written though I couldn't view him as anything but a scumbag lowlife who deserved everything that was coming to him. The twists and turns this movie takes are idiotic as well. I despised the character that was introduced midway through after one of them takes place. I will give this movie a bit of a pass because I did think the score was impressive and the first big setpiece was admittedly well-choreographed. But it blows my mind how insanely positive the reception for this movie is. It's trash. D+

Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:21 pm
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

Good Time is a very muscular piece of filmmaking - the propulsive direction and editing is practically a character in the movie. The diverting story features a couple of lost-causes going from bad to worse fast. The lead gets a little too Robert Pattinson at times, but mostly submerges into the role. Good Time is a good time. *A*

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:47 pm
now we know

A terrific and fast-paced low-level crime thriller taking place over a 24 hour period. It's edge-of-your-seat stuff, with TREMENDOUS performances from Robert Pattinson and co-director, Ben Safdie, which just marks how important a performance is to get emotional investment from viewers. It worked. The best thing about Good Time is its score. Oneohtrix Point Never did an outstanding job to keep the intensity alive right until the end.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This is just really good. An excellent ride of thrills and rushes. Great acting, directing and score. The twist where he bailed the wrong guy out of the hospital was brilliant. The part where the other guy explained how he ended up in the hospital was very well inserted and quite hilarious too actually. It's enthralling.

A

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:13 am
now we know

More people need to see this. I hope it features in the KJ Awards (if they happen).

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:16 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Such a batshit and strange film, but my god did I love every minute of it. This is the kind of movie we need to get more often, because just trying to describe it doesn't do it enough justice. You actually have to see this shit for yourself in order to believe it. I honestly don't even really know where to start, but I guess the first thing worth mentioning is definitely the score which is easily my favorite thing about it. I mean to call this a 80's inspired score is putting it lightly, because it's fucking insane how intense it is at times. It got to the point where I thought I was watching an old school horror film which was pretty damn cool. Also, this film is fucking hilarious. I was seriously dying at the guy telling Pattinson his story of how he got to the hospital, and not once did I feel it was out of place. The dark humor works so well in this film on top of how quickly and seamlessly it is able to shift from a scene that was quite brutal and disturbing to a scene that's kind of emotional and heartbreaking is just brilliant.

Sure there aren't many likable or sympathetic characters in this movie outside of maybe the handicapped brother, but Pattinson is so magnetic in the role that I became invested anyways and while the guy he meets later on might be a total scumbag and a piece of shit I still liked him, and thought the actor who played him was great, because he felt so natural and him and Pattinson worked really well together.

A+

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:44 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie still repulses me.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:56 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

thompsoncory wrote:

I know you didn't really like any of the characters thompsoncory, and while I can understand that, because I've had that same problem with plenty of other films for some reason it just didn't bother me here. I loved the fact that essentially the main characters are morons who do nothing but fuck up other people's lives lol.

Pattinson's character especially, but in the end it works out IMO, because they pretty much get what they deserve and in that way I found it very satisfying.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:56 am
now we know

thompsoncory wrote:

It is a powerful film, indeed.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I liked the first half, or maybe just the style of the first half. It's good as a character study, Pattinson stumbles around committing crimes and seducing women that are either too old or too young for him. He's a Trashhole, but at least he cares about someone other than himself so that's reason enough to root for him. The more trashholes the movie adds, the more difficult it becomes though. Ray … fuck Ray. A very funny death scene but not worth everything that came before.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:59 am
Keeping it Light

Rewatched it today, I remembered I held it in very high regard and I loved the experience in the cinema. I was a bit less impressed this time, I may actually prefer Uncut Gems, which I've seen twice too, over it now. But nonetheless this is still undoubtedly great, quite unique and very well made, love the acting and the way they filmed the story and blended in the score.

Fri May 26, 2023 7:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]