Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 "13 Reasons Why" 
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post "13 Reasons Why"

Netflix's latest original series premieres today on Netflix with 13 episodes. The cast includes Dylan Minette, newcomer Katherine Langford, Kate Walsh, Miles Heizer, Derek Luke and Brian D'Arcy James. Selena Gomez is an executive producer. Tom McCarthy (Spotlight) is also a producer and directed the first two episodes.

Really excited to watch this. It's been getting rave reviews.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: "13 Reasons Why"
I binged this in less than 24 hours. It's an absolutely wonderful, addicting series and Dylan Minnette, Katherine Langford (this girl is a fucking superstar - holy shit I can't believe this is her first real acting job) and Kate Walsh in particular give absolutely out of this world performances. Everyone is fantastic actually. It's next to impossible not to get sucked in and it's such a relevant and well-told story. The last five episodes are absolutely crazy and emotionally draining - I cried at several points.

Well done to everyone involved with this show. I really think it's going to be a huge conversation starter. It tackles very serious and prevalent issues not a lot of people want to talk about with an emotional honesty that feels truly authentic.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:25 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm very curious if this gets a second season what they'll end up doing. So much of the narrative is based upon Hannah and the events that led to her suicide that I can't imagine it tackling anything else. That being said this staff of writers did an amazing job so I'm excited to see what they come up with.

I was sobbing during the Clay tape episode and the finale. And the Hannah and Jessica rape sequences. What heartbreaking scenes.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:31 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I'm on episode 13. It's very good, although frustrating sometimes.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:32 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's interesting, I went from despising all the side characters to really understanding them and feeling for them by the end (except Bryce, who can fuck off). I felt for Jessica, Sheri, Justin and Zach in particular.

Netflix actually puts warnings before respective episodes, but the rape scenes are incredibly disturbing and hard to watch, as well as Hannah's suicide. I had to turn away at a few points because it was so upsetting. But honestly the brutality of the events needed to be included in order for the narrative's full power to take hold, so I applaud it.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:38 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Wow. the ending had a lot less closure than I thought it would. I can definitely see a Season 2 happening, although it may suffer as one of the best things about the season was the flashbacks through the tapes.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

Decent first episode as someone with rock bottom expectations for every Netflix original at this point, I only started this expecting to hate watch it tbh. The writing still has cracks when developing characters or having dialog that doesn't sound like in impersonation of a TV show, but Tom McCarthy did a great job directing and the actors work, and Katherine Langford is cute (She's almost 21, so don't why don't you take a seat over there me). I'm interested in the mystery going forward

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:03 pm
100% That Bitch

i hate watched this show

Because she gives no fucking reasons, a poem?, a best ass list?, being rejected?.

lmao what a weak ass bitch.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:55 pm
100% That Bitch

I give her being raped then being COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN by the STUPID AF CONSUELOR.

but everything else? If I were voted best ass I'd SHOW IT.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:56 pm
Devil's Advocate

My experience with depressed people is they're obsessed with being as little a burden on others as they can, and afraid of making others feel like they've caused this, going as far to shut off contact from their partner or family if it gets bad enough. Not saying everyone is the same of course, but compare that to how Hannah approaches things :lol:

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:03 pm
100% That Bitch

If anyone should go to jail it needs to be th stupid consuelor how the fuck do you turn away a girl who claims to be raped? Hod do you dare to do such thing especially cuz he knows Hanna has been bullied and shit. He must be arrested

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:14 pm
100% That Bitch

Show explained in a sentence

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:12 pm
Wallflower

Mau wrote:

So I mostly think your opinion on the show is dumb, but that was hilarious :funny:.

There's no one way to be depressed. I am a depressed person but take anti-depressants for it. I was very suicidal growing up. Hell, if I forget to take my anti-depressants I feel like dying and any little thing will set me off. Can be a seemingly insignificant comment and I'll be put in a depressed state. I know I have many people who love me and I have many friends. But none of that even matters then. I feel like I have nobody and no one really cares. Does it matter that deep down I know that's not true? It doesn't. The feelings of worthlessness take front and center and the other feelings of knowing I matter are pushed way, way, way down so they are pretty much non-existent.

It's not like any one thing is responsible for her killing herself. It was all of these factors that contributed to it and her reasoning is just as valid as anyone's.

Anyway, just finished it. It was terrific. Powerful and important. I hope many teenagers watch it and hopefully think about the way they treat each other. Made me cry a few times, most notably the suicide scene. I'm glad it was as unflinchingly graphic as it was. Katherine Langford is outstanding and is definitely going to be a star. She has a real screen presence. I absolutely loved and cannot get over her. She's perfection. Dylan Minnette and Kate Walsh are also amazing. Honestly wish they could all get award nominations but it probably won't happen.

The music is really good too. I already love "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division and "Fascination Street" by The Cure but came away loving "A 1000 Times" and really liking "The Night We Met." :( Makes me sad to listen to the latter two though.

I loved the character of Hannah. I think she's going to haunt me. Can't imagine a second season without her but I would be curious to see more. Especially since I didn't feel it was tied up as well as it could have been. I pretty much don't care about any of the remaining characters though outside of Clay and Hannah's parents. I personally had a hard time taking Tony seriously. I wouldn't say a second season is needed but I'd definitely watch. I know a second season wouldn't be nearly as good. If anything I could go for a Netflix Original Movie just to wrap up loose ends.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:02 am
Wallflower

:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:34 am
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
It's interesting, I went from despising all the side characters to really understanding them and feeling for them by the end (except Bryce, who can fuck off). I felt for Jessica, Sheri, Justin and Zach in particular.

IMO Courtney can go suck Bryce's dick. Hate that cunt.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:47 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Bryce was a monster but I have to say the actor was really incredible. I watched the behind the scenes featurette they have on Netflix and he seems so nice and the polar opposite of who he was playing.

This show has really exploded in the past few weeks. Curious if it will get any Emmy nominations.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:29 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

Dunno if this is insensitive to those who've attempted suicide, but if I were to attempt suicide (which I never, ever would, for any reason), I'd be sure to leave a note blaming all those responsible. At least they would suffer too then, knowing because of them I would be dead. Would be a little bit of revenge,

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:02 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

zwackerm wrote:
Dunno if this is insensitive to those who've attempted suicide, but if I were to attempt suicide (which I never, ever would, for any reason), I'd be sure to leave a note blaming all those responsible. At least they would suffer too then, knowing because of them I would be dead. Would be a little bit of revenge,

Have you watched this? The tapes she leaves are essentially her suicide note.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:16 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

My neighbor had started it so the other night I watched episodes 3-5 again with them. One of my co-workers was watching episode 8 tonight at work and I couldn't help but sit down and watch with her. :P

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:04 am
Extraordinary

Well, I ended up finally binging/bingeing this over the weekend and finishing the last episode today. I only learned about this show by catching some headline about it on the USA Today app. It caught my interest. I really didn't know anything going in and I certainly got hooked. One other note before I continue, I didn't realize this was based off a book. I'll need to check that out.

This group of 13 episodes was completely engrossing, interesting and completely frustrating all at once. The final episode is simply heartbreaking and tragic. I was emotionally overwhelmed watching this. I think for folks who've gone through school and experienced stuff like this in one form or another and maybe even have had thoughts like Hannah but not pursue what she did it it just really stays with you. The thing that frustrates me about the show was how we know how it's going to end eventually yet are always hoping for Clay to do the "right" thing at least that's how I feel when I'm rewatching the show. Maybe not so much the first time as I was just glued into seeing how things turned out the way they did.

I enjoyed the actors in the series. Of course Hannah and Clay were great in their roles, I wasn't too crazy about Jessica. She really reminded me of some other actor or person. There was just something about her performance. I liked the performances of the parents in the film and the counselor. Another thing that was somewhat annoying was the time jumping between past and present. There were times I was wondering at one point in the timeline a scene in a tape was taking place because the interactions between some characters would be different if a certain thing had happened before or not.

I was watching a reviewer mention how they would like to know what happens in a season 2 but aren't really sure if they felt a season 2 was necessary at the same time. The story does kind of wrap since Hannah's story at least the title has been completed so even though there are loose ends are they going to call the show something different next season or maybe they'd subtitle it. Idk. I would like to know what continues just because it seems like Tyler is going to crazy and I'd love to see some folks get justice coming to them.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:47 pm
Extraordinary

Rewatched it a few weeks back. Still as emotional and captivating. Also listened to the book again.

Season 2 May 18, 2018. Mark your calendars. I'm gonna watch everything that AM.

#MAGA #KAG!

Wed May 02, 2018 10:52 am
Wallflower

I'm really excited for Season 2. I'm nervous though about them saying "you'll see a whole different side to Hannah." I don't want them to make her unlikable.

I'm hoping they'll have a Season 1 recap episode. I watched the first season with my mom and she barely remembers it.

Thu May 03, 2018 11:21 am
Extraordinary

Alright, I finally got through Season 2 watching over Friday and Saturday.

It's definitely nowhere near as compelling or emotional as the first. It does try to expand on things that the book/show did not delve into by filling in the blanks to certain things. I do need to watch this again I think and take notes to really go over things as there are sequences that were very surprising and interesting and others that were a turnoff.

#MAGA #KAG!

Sun May 20, 2018 11:49 pm
Wallflower

I've watched the first 8 episodes of Season 2 so far. It's definitely a mixed bag. Like you said it's nowhere near as compelling as Season 1 but that was expected. I still like seeing more of this story but it does kind of lessen the impact of Season 1. However that was left too open-ended for my liking so I'm really glad we have a second season. Really hoping they wrap it up this time because I really doubt we'll get a third season and we probably shouldn't. But if they leave it open for more I'm going to end up wanting more. I'm loving Kate Walsh. She's so good here. Her performance in Season 1 was so over-looked for awards.

Mon May 21, 2018 12:41 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Season 3 is already casting

Tue May 22, 2018 8:52 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next