Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Independence Day 

What grade would you give this film?
A 58%  58%  [ 18 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 7 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 31

Independence Day 
College Boy Z

Post Independence Day
Independence Day

Quote:
Independence Day (also known by its promotional abbreviation ID4) is a 1996 science fiction film about an alien invasion of Earth, focusing on a disparate group of individuals and families as they converge in the Nevada desert and, along with the rest of the human population, participate in a last-chance counterattack on July 4 – the same date as the Independence Day holiday in the United States. It was directed by Roland Emmerich, who co-wrote the script with producer Dean Devlin.

While promoting Stargate in Europe, Emmerich came up with the idea for the film when fielding a question about his own belief in the existence of alien life. He and Devlin decided to incorporate a large-scale attack when noticing that aliens in most invasion films travel long distances in outer space only to remain hidden when reaching Earth. Principal photography for the film began in July 1995 in New York City, and the film was officially completed on June 20, 1996.

The film was scheduled for release on July 3, 1996, but due to the high level of anticipation for the movie, many theaters began showing it on the evening of July 2, 1996, the same day the film begins. The film's combined domestic and international box office gross is $816,969,268, which at one point was the second-highest worldwide gross of all-time. It holds the 27th highest worldwide gross of a movie all-time, and was at the forefront of the large-scale disaster film and science fiction resurgences of the mid-to-late-1990s. It also won the Academy Award for Visual Effects.

Last edited by zingy on Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:22 pm
Veteran

Mass entertainer. Set up Will Smith as a superstar.

A-

Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Fantastic. One of the best sci/fi movies ever made. Will Smith was great in this movie, and it's definently a big time summer popcorn flick.

A+

Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:40 pm
Teh Mexican

Imageone of my all time favorites, GREAT SFX, i think one of the best Will smith movies and best Sci-fi movie :D

A

Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:48 pm
Hot Fuss

Back at that time, I remember being shocked by the SFX in the film. It hold's up pretty well, but for some reason I don't care for it as much as I used to.

B

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

One of the best summer blockbuster ever, IMO. Great fx, great cast, great action, funny.. A

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:50 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Good movie. I remember when it came out it was huge. I didnt like it that much back then, partly because it didnt live upto the hype, but as ive grown up ive began to like it more and more on each viewing. Will Smith is cool but i dont look at him as the star, i see the Aliens as that part.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

"Today we celebrate our Independence Day". Sorry but I have to puke every time I see this speech from Bill Pullman. This movie is just patriotic crap, funnily enough shot by a german director. The Randy Quaid character is terrible, Will Smith has two or three great punchlines but nothing else. True, the special effects are to admire but who cares if the story is that uninvolving. I can't remember a movie where so much action was going on on-screen, yet I had trouble to stay awake. It is clichéd, sappy, unbelievably bad acted and sloppily written. And of course when the aliens attack, all other countries helplessy cry while the US of A takes action and kicks alien butt. (D-)

Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:51 am
You must have big rats

"Today we celebrate our Independence Day". Sorry but I have to puke every time I see this speech from Bill Pullman. This movie is just patriotic crap, funnily enough shot by a german director. The Randy Quaid character is terrible, Will Smith has two or three great punchlines but nothing else. True, the special effects are to admire but who cares if the story is that uninvolving. I can't remember a movie where so much action was going on on-screen, yet I had trouble to stay awake. It is clichéd, sappy, unbelievably bad acted and sloppily written. And of course when the aliens attack, all other countries helplessy cry while the US of A takes action and kicks alien butt. (D-)

And this is what you turn into when you become a movie reviewer.

PS: I am about to become one in future as well :sad:

Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Great movie. Sure, its cliched, and full of plot holes. Looking beyond that though it is a pure popcorn film. Easily on of the better alien invasion films of recent memory.

B+

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:45 pm
I'm Batman

Watching this in 2004 on DVD. Meh it's ok. B-

Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:06 pm
Hot Fuss

Average KJ User Rating = B/B+ (Hovering on that line)

Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Average KJ User Rating = B/B+ (Hovering on that line)

I give it an A ++++++.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Award Winning Bastard

This movie is incredible entertainment. It surpassed every movie on my favorites list except for Planet of the Apes (1968) , surpassing the excellent Empire Strikes Back, and it has remained right being Planet of the Apes ever since. The movie plays well on several levels, emotional, comical, action, and romantic, and the cool alien story was just the icing on the cake.

A+

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:55 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This movie is incredible entertainment. It surpassed every movie on my favorites list except for Planet of the Apes (1968) , surpassing the excellent Empire Strikes Back, and it has remained right being Planet of the Apes ever since. The movie plays well on several levels, emotional, comical, action, and romantic, and the cool alien story was just the icing on the cake.

A+

You rock! \:D/

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I think Im the only one on this board that hated the movie. I didnt like the long wait and build up to finally see the aliens that werent even breath taking at all. Not to mention I had to put up with the inept dialogue and Randy Quaid who I generally am a fan of made me roll my eyes at his dialogue.

C-/D+

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:02 pm
Teenage Dream

Great action flick.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:42 pm
Killing With Kindness

A-

pretty kick ass film that never fails to entertain :cool:

Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Good stuff, the proper mix of humor and suspense. This is when they gave Smith and Goldblum the proper amount of one liners, unlike MIB where it became more about minute-for-minute jokes and less about a nice full action story that just had two quirky guys as the protagonists. I remember watching this, yes, on July 4th. One of the best July 4th I've ever had (not saying much since I hate that holiday though)

A-

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:28 am
Where will you be?

It's tremendous entertainment, a guilty pleasure with little to feel guilty about. So what if not all the effects have completley lived up, it still looks amazing. My favorite camera shot was always the one with the explosion just yards behind the Air Force One while they're in flight... but it's a great action extravaganza. A

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:37 am
Veteran

Sure it's a popcorn flick, but what else do you expect from an alien invasion? I liked it a lot. It reminds me a little of the disaster films form the 70's with that whole 'who will survive' vibe. I'm interested to see how Spielberg's remake of War Of The World will compare to this. My grade: B+.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It'll be like comparing apples and orange attodr. War of the World is going to be a very serious movie. Cruise hasn't done comedy in awhile. Its going to be more like minority report. Even cruise's role in collateral was a serious role. He was calm and collected, and some of the situations themselves were humorous, but Cruise's risky business days are over. You're not going to get the same lines or tone of film from him that you are from either Smith or Goldblum.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:10 am
Where will you be?

It'll be like comparing apples and orange attodr. War of the World is going to be a very serious movie. Cruise hasn't done comedy in awhile. Its going to be more like minority report. Even cruise's role in collateral was a serious role. He was calm and collected, and some of the situations themselves were humorous, but Cruise's risky business days are over. You're not going to get the same lines or tone of film from him that you are from either Smith or Goldblum.

Yeah, it's about alien invasions in all the same ways that Taxi and Collateral are about taxi drivers. War of the Worlds is told from a small scale point of view on a grand scale of disaster around them (it didn't work well for The Day After Tomorrow, but they were still in charge. I hear in WOTW it's almost entirely from the one middle class families POV). It's a refugee movie essentially.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:17 am
Veteran

I recently watched the original War Of The Worlds from the 50's (read the H.G. Wells novel when I was 11 or 12) and it's obviously much more serious than Independence Day. Both were quite similar in many ways. Even with different tones you can't make the destruction of entire cities flippant. Independence Day has it's share of serious moments. Spielberg himself recently admitted he put off making this movie for years after Independence Day came out because of the similarities.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

This opened in one of the best summers for popcorn flicks! First we got Twister, then came the only movie I've ever watched 5 or more times at the theater. ID4 started the whole summer blockbuster trend in my opinion and it ranks right up there with Jurassic Park.

A+

Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next