Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Bye Bye Man 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Bye Bye Man 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Bye Bye Man

Quote:
The Bye Bye Man is an upcoming American supernatural horror film directed by Stacy Title and written by Jonathan Penner, based on the chapter "The Bridge to Body Island" in Robert Damon Schneck's book The President's Vampire. The film stars Douglas Smith, Lucien Laviscount, Cressida Bonas and Doug Jones, with Carrie-Anne Moss and Faye Dunaway. Principal photography began on November 2, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio. STX Entertainment will release the film on January 13, 2017.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 pm
Forum General

Post Re: The Bye Bye Man
Ahh, the first horror movie of the year is always a winner and that doesn't change in 2017 with The Bye Bye Man. Naturally, I didn't actually expect this to be good but I thought the trailer was mildly clever and that it could at least be entertaining and it certainly is but it is one of the worst horror movies to come out in quite awhile. It comes off as a blatant It Follows rip off and a badly done one to boot. There are some hilarious sequences to be had here, the librarian is one of the most WTF? characters I've seen in a long time, the entire ending, the Mr. Daisy (which was actually kind of offensive and homophobic, honestly), the little girl, the main girl who was one of the worst actresses I've ever seen. I could go on. This was BAD. Still though, I laughed a lot and I was never really bored. When it comes out on Blu-ray, if you want to grab some booze and get it from Redbox, it would be a lot of fun.

D

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

Childhood best friends Elliot (Douglas Smith) and John (Lucien Laviscount) and Elliot's girlfriend Sasha (Cressida Bonas) rent a spacious, long-empty home near their Wisconsin university. Shortly after moving in, Elliot finds an enigmatic name, the Bye Bye Man, hastily etched into an old table. Learning the name precipitates otherworldly visions and encroaching calamity for he, his friends, and others to whom they mention it. On a basic conceptual level, this film has modest potential, even if every element—transference of a curse, belief and/or fear increasing the power of the supernatural antagonist—is recognizable from such far superior films as The Ring and It Follows, among others. The execution here, however, is awful. Registering as a demonic hobo, the title phantom has a fairly imposing physical presence—he is inhabited by the wiry, tall Doug Jones, who frequently plays fairy-tale creatures and ghosts for Guillermo del Toro—but he is underutilized and underdeveloped, never given a distinctive flourish (other than an absurdly unconvincing computer-generated dog at his side) or signature moment. The leads' performances range from mediocre to truly awful: Bonas, famous in Britain as a former girlfriend of Prince Harry, is dire, her stilted and incompetent line delivery evoking no one short of vintage Bo Derek. The storytelling is haphazard—it intermittently bobs left and right rather than building genuine momentum and never find a comfortable way to deliver exposition—and the aesthetic is flat in a direct-to-video way despite a healthy-for-the-genre budget of around seven million dollars.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:41 am
Pure Phase

Cressida Bonas cannot even muster a believable cough or sneeze. (Her "character arc" boils down to the Bye Bye Man's evil presence giving her a low-grade cold.)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:47 am
now we know

It seems that no lessons were learned from 2005's Boogeyman. More than a decade later and they still don't get that visual effects are not scary. This is a big wasted opportunity of a film. You have a villain with great potential, but it is wasted when he isn't worthy of being feared. It seems that the people that think or say his name should only be afraid of themselves (and their own visions), because all the "Bye Bye Man" will do is walk up to you and finger your forehead. Or he might make scratch marks in the basement wall. Ooh, shitting myself! He doesn't have any memorable scary scene or set up. The bit in the library has potential, but it is wasted. The part in the bedroom where he resembles a long black coat is kind of cool but also not as punchy as it should have been. The performances are awful, especially Lucien Laviscount, who seems to just be a poor man's Michael B. Jordan. Oh, and Carrie-Ann Moss weirdly makes an appearance around the hour mark as a detective, and Faye Dunaway shows up for half-a-minute in the final third.

I really wanted to like The Bye Bye Man. The opening scene filled me with hope, but it does not deliver.

D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I didn't think it was that terrible. It was entertaining.

6/10 (B-)

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:07 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

2/10. Still the the worst films of the year.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:07 am
Superman: The Movie

I kind of admire it for what it’s not - a jump-scare horror movie - which is what the trailer made it out to be. It’s trying for something. If anything it’s more of a psychological horror film.  It’s on that front where it completely fails though. It’s a bore from start to finish. Maybe with charasmatic leads this could’ve been something, but I doubt it.

The only things I thought about after watching this were why does Carrie-Anne Moss here, who blackmailed Faye Dunaway, and how crazy is it that Doug Jones can go from this to The Shape of Water?

And why does that kid have any reason to say it to the cop at the end outside of providing the cliched horror film ending?

D

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]