Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 

Is the Force strong with this film?
A 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
B 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
C 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. The Force Awakens
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Rogue One
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Attack of the Clones

Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:11 pm
Cream of the Crop

tree and a half wrote:
VI > V > III > IV > II > I > IVb > VII
1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. A New Hope
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Rogue One
8. The Force Awakens

Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:41 pm
Cream of the Crop

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue One
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Force Awakens
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Phantom Menace
8. Attack of the Clones

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Corpse wrote:
The first half of the film was too slow, and the entire cast was average or worse, even Felicity Jones, surprisingly, was very... ordinary. The second half of the film, however, was great - the last third in particular, easily had some of the best moments in the Star Wars franchise. B-.

Yup. Despite an impressive final act, It's a B-/C+ based on the terribly dull characters and first hour.

I hope it improves on video - but unlike The Force Awakens, I really don't have any desire to see Rogue One again.

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope
3) The Force Awakens
4) Rogue One
5) Return of the Jedi
6) Attack of the Clones
7) Revenge of the Sith
8) The Phantom Menace

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

1. A New Hope
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace*
7. Rogue One
8. Attack of the Clones

*Menace was on TNT over the weekend. I only caught a coupe of scenes, but holy shit, the acting was somehow ten times worse then I remembered. Yeah, I know, it's everyone's key complaint from the prequels (well that and the look of them), but that's what happens when you haven't seen them in years.

I'd have to rewatch the entire thing before really getting a decent idea of where it ranks (still in the bottom three it's just a question of where in the bottom two) and I don't see that happening until IX is out.

And four days out from Rogue, the only thing of note I can really remember was Vader's last scene. Was he hurt during the Obi-Wan fight in ANH? Showing respect by fighting at a snail's pace? Or horrible continuity which could've been fixed here? Menace at least has a badass 15 minute lightsaber fight and an original John Williams score.

Also, how long before Lucas goes back and puts The Imperial March in ANH? I'm shocked he hasn't done it already.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is trash. The only movie in the series I'd rank below it is Phantom Menace. I'm actually watching Force Awakens on TV right now and it's just making this one seem worse.

Last edited by thompsoncory on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:28 am
Profile YIM
loyalfromlondon

empire
hope
force
jedi
rogue
sith
menace
clones

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:52 am
Superfreak

The Dark Shape wrote:
B

Rogue One is enjoyable, but I don't think it's in the upper tier of Star Wars films. It has a saggy mid-section as a sense of aimlessness sets in. Characters run from planet to planet with varying video game-like objectives (Find this person! Find that thing! Find that person!), but there's no building sense of anticipation (or dread) that we're close to a goal.

The third act is great, though, and I suspect a lot of you will come out feeling more positively than I did (Darth Vader gets the type of scene you've been fantasizing about for decades). I liked the film, but I didn't love it.

Pretty much this.

Truly epic massive missed potential likes here, I suspect.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:37 am
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade

A

top 3 yo

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:46 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

1. The Force Awakens
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Return of the Jedi
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

This was pretty dull to be honest. Other than the Darth Vader scenes, it never really feels like a Star Wars movie and I kept finding my mind wandering throughout. It just didn't hold my attention, whether it was the paper-thin characters or the uninvolving story. Of course, the last 10-15 minutes are basically fantastic. That's almost more annoying to me than if they sucked because it showed the movie wasted its potential for most of its running time. C

Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:26 am
Extraordinary

Three times I've seen it and it's better each time honestly.
Even the score has grown on me and I'm over the annoyance of the titling of the planets. I still don't like how rogue one is titled and I definitely believe it needed / should have had a crawl. I would move this to an A now.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:35 pm
Extraordinary

Saw this again with a friend. Replay value is not good imo, what a slog to get through again.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:47 am
loyalfromlondon

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:26 pm
The Kramer

Star Wars gets dirty and I love it. Rogue One starts slow, but once it gets going this movie is a Rush. I'm still feeling the thrills of that epic final battle.

Spoiler: show
And holy shit literally everyone died. I'm not normally a fan of that type of ending, but here it works perfectly. It gives the movie an authentic war story vibe, as if we are in a Star Wars universe history class. Learning about the brave heroes who sparked the downfall of the empire.

C2 and Donnie Yen steal the show obviously. But I thought the main two leads were terrific. Both of them felt like real people, and while I knew it would never blossom into a full romance, the evolution of their relationship gives a little warmth to hang on to when everything else is going to hell.

I'm a little down on Force Awakens after the rewatch, so I won't declare Rogue One to be better quite yet. I certainly never imagined walking out of the theater with a bigger smile on my face though.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:02 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Why are people so surprised by the ending. They literally address what happened in ANH.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:54 pm
---------

Thegun wrote:
Why are people so surprised by the ending. They literally address what happened in ANH.

Are you talking about the line about many Bothans dying to get the plans? That is about the second Death Star in Return of the Jedi.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:26 pm
Cream of the Crop

MGKC wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Are you talking about the line about many Bothans dying to get the plans? That is about the second Death Star in Return of the Jedi.

That seems to be everyone's favorite "Gotcha!" at the moment, but I think you're stretchingto the point of breaking to accuse Thegun of thinking that based on what he wrote.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:29 am
The Kramer

They're gonna be making a lot of movies in the 3-4 time period. You can't just kill everyone that wasn't in the original.

And whens the last time a tentpole picture had an "everyone dies" ending? That's why it was surprising.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:46 am
---------

I just expected with it being Disney, they were going to leave outs for themselves for more spinoffs with these characters.

I'm glad they didn't though and decided to kill everyone off. It's one of the few things I respect and like about this movie

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:55 am
Cream of the Crop

I also agree that the "everyone dies" ending was one of the few redeeming aspects of this movie.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:08 am
You must have big rats

Even if some had survived I don't see a conflict with the OT. The rebellion is large, it doesn't mean these characters had to be involved in the same things as the OT characters.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I like it, it's good, but I was also expecting more. It perhaps didn't help I followed this thread before the film making me come to grips with some spoilers. The story and characters, while being well cast, don't feel meaningful. The Chinese dudes are cool. It really feels like a side story of the universe and a less interesting one with that. The tie-in at the end was great and so was the Vader scene, which really, I wonder couldn't we just have gotten more of that. Perhaps it was that I was aware in advance that Jyn and everyone were not going to make it, but I didn't bond with them and the impact of their deaths thus didn't get to me. The music is good, but also not memorable. The film is enjoyable, but there just isn't enough for me to connect with to put it on a higher level.

B

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:40 pm
now we know

Not as good as The Force Awakens. Loads of new characters that I don't care to know. The Darth Vader scene at the end is excellent. And I kind of appreciate the route Edwards took to differentiate Rogue One from the Lucas-type of Star Wars flick, but I just couldn't care about the story or characters and, I suppose, like most people, I was just waiting for the connecting scenes. The film is just alliance versus the empire in multiple un-engaging battles, but it is the best filmed Star Wars film to date, including plenty of visual nods to the franchise (the obvious ones being Vader, C-3PO, R2-D2, hanging from indoor metallic blue structures like in Empire etc., though strangely no lightsaber duels). I enjoyed Chirrut and Baze, loved K-2SO (very humorous - hope he returns!), and the film has some terrific actors like Ben Mendelsohn and Mads Mikkelsen gracing the screen, as well as some utterly breathtaking -though unneeded- computer-generated likenesses of Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing. Also, the first half of the film is so dark. The water/beach/palm trees section of the film couldn't come soon enough, then it just goes on forever. So, yeah, the film does its job, though un-spectacularly. It fills a gap between Episode III and IV, kills off a bunch of characters, and will make Disney a shed-load of money, but it feels empty and redundant, and kind of forgettable.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

***1/2 / ***** (B-)

Flawed, just like every other SW movie, but undeniably a much better and more satisfying work than The Force Awakens. I'm very glad we got this (in theory very unnecessary) gap filling story. I actually liked these new characters and can remember most of their names as opposed to TFA where I can only remember the black Stormtrooper, the new IT girl and fake Vader, but I've probably forgotten their names a couple of days after seeing that trainwreck. I like that the story is straightforward and every part fits nicely into the next one. There are no useless time wasters like Han Solo being border by some aliens and getting those huge ones escape and roam the ship.

The ending alone definitely puts it above pretty much every SW from TPM onwards for the sole reason that it actually brings something new to the table, unlike too safe prequels and new trilogy that seems to be too occupied to check all the (un)necessary hints to SW universe rather than making its own stamp on the universe.

I would also like to know exactly what were the reshoots and how was the movie supposed to be like in the first place.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next