Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Schindler's List 

What grade would you give this film?
A 89%  89%  [ 25 ]
B 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28

Schindler's List 
We had our time together

Post Re: Schindler's List
This is indeed a masterpiece. One of the most devastating movies ever. My only complaint would be Neesons acting during his little speech at the end. He wasn't very good in that scene. Fiennes is perfect, this is an all-time great performance and it's a shame it wasn't rewarded an Oscar. Despite it's really long running time, the movie never drags. It sucks you in right away and doesn't let you go long after the movie ended.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:53 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Not seen the whole movie (plan to one day), but this clip made me laugh:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Waitress in LA

Herein lies the most salient example of Spielberg's shortcomings as an auteur: forced sentimentality past a meaningful substance. The predominate affect is a desperate realism as masterly as David Lean or Francis Ford Coppola at their finest; shot so well, especially in the opening act, as to be reminiscent of early Kubrick - but all that gives way to incongruously saccharine theatre in the final stretch.

I remember balling my eyes out the first time I saw the ending about twenty years ago. The thing my younger brain seemed to miss, was how unrealistic that carpark scene actually is. Liam Neeson's spectacular in the Schindler role up until that point. Then the demented tenderness on Ben Kingsley's face as he gives the big collective Thank You, and Neeson's feigned blubbering response as closing melodrama. A realistic holocaust depiction naturally causes emotion for the viewer without the need to overstate; but overstatement is far from propaganda...here Spielberg's crime, from my pov, is that he films truth through his own needy excess.

Pretty cool, though, that a 3+ hour black and white war film manages to be so engaging the whole way through - felt at least an hour shorter than its run-time.

B+

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3