Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 

Is the Force strong with this film?
A 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
B 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
C 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 
Superfreak

Post Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
The Dark Shape wrote:
Excel wrote:
Vader's scene leaked to YouTube. It's cool, but I was expecting "Achilles takes the beach" level of badassery.

That leaked cam is missing all of the build up to the moment.

This has leaked too.

It's a cool scene no doubt but has nothing on Batfleck or Achilles.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:34 pm
Extraordinary

LOL.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:45 pm
Superman: The Movie

First reaction right out of the box: when the most compelling, emotive and interesting character (that isn't Darth Vader) is a robot whose name I can't even remember, that's a significant problem.

Felicity Jones is a great actress, but she doesn't hold a candle to what Daisy Ridley did with Rey in The Force Awakens. We're pretty much given the same amount of backstory between the two, maybe even more with Erso, but Jones has a constant look on her face of half bored and half about to burst into tears. The rest of the Rogue One crew, aside from Blind-Badass-Asian-Yoda, are just there. They're cinematic wallpaper.

And I know he was only given about a month to do the score, but the usually always reliable composer Michael Giacchino might have delivered his blandest work to date. And as someone who might be tapped one day to take over the big franchise, that's a major disappointment. That's actually the perfect phrase for Rogue One: a major disappointment.

C

That last Vader scene though (even if I can't picture A New Hope Vader doing it)...nice.

I'm seeing it again for work on Saturday. Hopefully it grows on me.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

On the plus side of Rogue One, I liked the confidence to include so much comedy! On the minus side, I never did get especially involved in the drama of it all, even though I still enjoyed the broad soap opera plotting and dialogue! The acting is the weakest part of the movie, it's brutal. The set design is very Star Wars with lots of foreground Easter eggs to torment your future co-watchers. If Disney ever decides to throw a cracking good original story on one of these series pics, they could still return to the glory days of the franchise. In the meantime, Rogue One rates a solid *C+*.

VI > V > III > IV > II > I > IVb > VII

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:45 pm
Extraordinary

My first thoughts.
I really liked it overall but there are two things I hated.
No opening scroll with the classic music. Ultra blunder.
Second, the music...the original music was absolute trash. Unmemorable piece of shit.

Other than those two things, I liked the visuals, the story, the characters and plot. All the little winks at episode 4 were enjoyable.

Shame on them for breaking the opening and that weird titling of rogue one. Shame

Grade B

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:53 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I am not the biggest fan of this series but I actually loved Force Awakens, mostly thanks to its incredibly charming and immensely lovable cast and the skilled direction of J.J. Abrams. They actually drew me in and I was excited to see what came next. But this movie features a cast of characters that could best be described as a black hole of charisma, and despite some good sequences is ultimately a major disappointment. The performances range from bland to straight-up bad. I love Felicity Jones and I'll blame the writing for the most part here but her character is not interesting in the slightest and completely one-note. Diego Luna is a bland leading man and the two have no chemistry. Forest Whitaker and Mads Mikkelson are straight up awful. Ben Mendelsohn is OK with an underwritten villain role. The best character in the movie hands down is the robot voiced by Alan Tudyk who injects this with the only sense of fun it seems to have (Donnie Yen has a strong moment of comedy too early on and Riz Ahmed does his best). The rest is dreary, dark, and fairly poorly directed, and really does move at a workmanlike pace where the characters visit a planet, someone dies, and they move on, etc. It also reeks of fan service in a way that Force Awakens did not, there are so many moments that are clearly timed for audience applause and it got to be too much for me by the end. It has great visual effects and there are some good sequences but surprisingly this feels like the biggest 'cash-in' sequel to a major franchise film this year for me. C

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:03 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

Wow all these less than enthusiastic reactions have me kind of worried now. I already wasn't the biggest fan of TFA and I wouldn't even call myself a huge fan of the overall franchise, but the trailers got me pumped for this one. I'll just have to keep my expectations in check, but it sounds like they still don't really know how to do their own thing without fan service or rehashing stuff from the original trilogy and that's a big problem IMO. Oh well, hopefully the Vader scene is worth it.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:31 am
Romosexual!

A!!!!!!

I fucking loved it.
Going to see it again Sunday in IMAX cause I must see it again.

That Darth Vader scene was truly a horror moment and I fucking loved it!

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:41 am
Quality is a great business plan

1st 2 acts were way too boring. Felicity Jones/Diego Luna dont hold a candle to Rey/Finn from TFA. But the last act and any references to ANH were simply fantastic. Scenes were Vader were brilliant especially the last one. Loved the fleeting appearences of Leia/C3P0/R2D2.

Best character otherwise was Donnie Yen.

Overall would rate it B.

FYI the Dunkirk preview was simply brilliant. Its going to play like an action thriller if its going to start the way it does.

I used to be shawman.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:24 am
Grill

Rev wrote:
A!!!!!!

I fucking loved it.
Going to see it again Sunday in IMAX cause I must see it again.

That Darth Vader scene was truly a horror moment and I fucking loved it!

My dog!

Loved it. The last 30 minutes alone are worth price of admission. That ending man.

Solid A

Lists!!

1. Empire
2. New Hope
3. Force Awakens
4. Rogue One
5. Jedi
6. Sith
7. Clones
8. The Naboo Movie

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:35 am
Extraordinary

Yes, that Dunkirk trailer was pretty riveting.

Another quibble was the naming of the planets. I don't know if that was done for any of the other films. That seemed pretty cheesy to be doing that. I do like how it blends right into #4. Also Leia's diplomatic mission line is completely preposterous now. She was leaving a Battle. Vader knows the line is nonsense and she does too.
Can't even say that with a straight face now.

The film did seem to start slow. Only when K2 comes in do things pick up.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:41 am
Pure Phase

The best Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back thirty-six years ago. It grandly achieves its goal: turn an important-but-never-elaborated-upon piece of the franchise's mythology—the perilous origin of the Death Star blueprint in the possession of the Rebel Alliance in A New Hope—into a film emphasizing the war in Star Wars. Though infused with a healthy-but-never-indulgent amount of humor, it is a picture of grit and propulsion where sacrifice stings and the Empire (from the TIE fighters to the storm-troopers to Darth Vader himself at the height of his cruelty and cunning) once again registers as a truly vast and menacing entity. Monster-movie director Gareth Edwards, reportedly lent a finessing hand by Bourne Ultimatum and Michael Clayton screenwriter Tony Gilroy, crafts atmospheric, exhilarating, and appropriately chaotic scenes of combat and pursuit. They have an invigorating in-the-dirt, out-of-breath tactility largely absent from J. J. Abrams' film last year and certainly nowhere to be found in George Lucas' sheeny green-screen prequels. And the ensemble cast, led by an empowered, riveting Felicity Jones and also featuring a subtly dashing Diego Luna, a perfectly sneering-sniveling Ben Mendelsohn, and Donnie Yen in a designed-to-be-iconic role as a Force-sensitive blind swordsman, is eclectic and superb.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:08 am
Grill

Chirrut and K-2SO did indeed steal the show. I want more Donnie Yen!

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:14 am
Extraordinary

Keyser Söze wrote:
1st 2 acts were way too boring. Felicity Jones/Diego Luna dont hold a candle to Rey/Finn from TFA. But the last act and any references to ANH were simply fantastic. Scenes were Vader were brilliant especially the last one. Loved the fleeting appearences of Leia/C3P0/R2D2.

Best character otherwise was Donnie Yen.

Overall would rate it B.

I pretty much agree with you.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:18 am
Extraordinary

Double post

So that part in the trailers on the beach was totally cut, huh? Makes me think how much of the movie was changed.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:18 am
Cream of the Crop

Rogue One (aka: IVb) plays a lot like a feature episode of the 60's British TV show Thunderbirds. The styling of the action scenes, and of course the wooden acting, made me continuously feel like I was back in the age of Supermarionation. For example, in Rogue One they got an actual Asian person to play the role of the wise old martial arts master, instead of a puppet, but the vibe is unmistakable. In fact, it felt like I was watching a Star Wars themed remake of John Carter directed by Gerry Anderson. Far from being a negative, this all added greatly to my enjoyment of the movie, resulting in my relatively positive rating.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:50 am
Extraordinary

nghtvsn wrote:

Shame on them for breaking the opening and that weird titling of rogue one. Shame

What exactly would the crawl in this movie say, per chance?

I'm a little sensitive to this, as I had to listen to someone say "what the fuck" repeatedly for the first twenty minutes of the film tonight after there wasn't a scroll.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:03 am
Cream of the Crop

I should also mention the absolute best part of Rogue One - the performance of Alan Tudyk as K-2SO! It's actually Tudyk's second robot, and he saves the movie here, imho.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:51 am
Extraordinary

I'm thinking about that opening.

It could have had the title Rogue One. A Star Wars Story. Then a couple paragraphs. Something about the Empire on the verge of completing the death star plus something. The second section would be about riz Ahmed defecting with the help of top death star engineer galen urso and seeking out rebel insurgent saw gerrera on jedda.

Then I guess you could have cut jyns opening and just use those flashbacks.

You'd need this music redone because it was so nothing. That may be the most disappointing thing because it didn't help the film one bit

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:49 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Jyn Erso is such a boring character and her development doesn't make any sense. "I don't care about the rebellion...oh wait now it's the most important thing in the world to me!" Also Jones is only allowed to play two beats in this movie, pouting and angry or sobbing hysterics. They didn't develop her character well at all, IMO. Rey and Daisy Ridley's performance were so much better.

I will say I think this will play better for big fans of the original trilogy. There were a lot of references I'm sure went over my head.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:19 am
Profile YIM
Romosexual!

The Dark Shape wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:

What exactly would the crawl in this movie say, per chance?

I'm a little sensitive to this, as I had to listen to someone say "what the fuck" repeatedly for the first twenty minutes of the film tonight after there wasn't a scroll.

A simple line or 2 explaining this movie takes place directly BEFORE A New Hope would help some confused ass general movie going audience.

But that's minor nitpicking

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:37 am
Pure Phase

If they absolutely had to do a crawl, I s'pose it could be Galen Erso-centric exposition: his renown as an engineer, his self-imposed exile from the Empire, etc. But I thought not having one was a wise choice and enjoyed the "cold open."

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:46 pm
Grill

The more I think about it the more I am ok without having the crawl. But even though I knew it wasn't coming I was still taken aback by it not being there.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:51 pm
Extraordinary

nghtvsn wrote:
Then I guess you could have cut jyns opening and just use those flashbacks.

So you'd completely rejigger the film for no other reason than your OCD attachment to the other movies' openings?

I've been against the crawl being in this film since it was announced. Save the crawl for the episodes. Let the spin-offs do their own thing.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:18 pm
Extraordinary

The last thing this needed was an opening crawl. Totally didn't need one.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next