Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Loving (2016) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Loving (2016) 
Pure Phase

Post Loving (2016)

Quote:
Loving is a 2016 British-American historical drama film directed and written by Jeff Nichols. It stars Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga as Richard and Mildred Loving, the plaintiffs in the 1967 U.S. Supreme Court decision Loving v. Virginia, which invalidated state laws prohibiting interracial marriage. It was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. The film was released in the United States on November 4, 2016, by Focus Features.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:24 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Loving (2016)
It's really great. Very skillfully directed and moves at a nice, natural pace, and the story itself is fascinating and shockingly relevant. The main reason to see it are the performances which are outstanding. Ruth Negga delivers a beautiful performance, giving her character a quiet strength that makes her easy to fall in love with. I absolutely loved Joel Edgerton here and I'm shocked more people aren't talking about his performance. He has arguably the toughest role here and completely excels - he's heartbreaking and when his character finally breaks down at the end it made me cry. A-

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:23 pm
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

Loving is mixed: half love story, half history lesson.

Loving is the name of two American miscegenators caught red-handed, arrested, found guilty and banished. They turn out to be very humble, yet quietly determined to right this misjustice. History ensues.

Loving is the name of a movie about the Lovings trials and tribulations. It is humble in it's own way, and could have used a bit more pep in it's step, but it gets the job done. Australia's Joel Edgerton has been awesome in everything I've seen him in, and it's no different here. He's an acting treasure. Ethiopia's Ruth Negga is very good. Loving is worth seeing. *B*

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:00 pm
Sbil

Excellent performances by Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga are the highlight of Jeff Nichols' Loving. Negga in particular gives a soulful and lived in performance. The film itself is affecting, but as helmed by Nichols, it is rather straightforward and workmanlike, occasionally to its detriment. B

Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:12 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Negga was great but I actually though Edgerton was best in show here. LOVED him.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:46 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Forced to leave the state of Virginia for 25 years lest they be prosecuted and jailed for miscegenation, Richard Loving, a white man, and his African American wife Mildred quietly argued their case for nearly a decade, ultimately finding a powerful ally in the American Civil Liberties Union. Their plight culminated in the seismic and precedent-establishing Supreme Court decision in the case of Loving v. Virginia. The story of Richard and Mildred is dramatized in the aptly titled Loving. They are played by Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga, respectively, in deeply felt and highly dynamic performances long on moments of quiet anguish, humanity, and resolve. Jeff Nichols, one of the most consistent and promising American directors of his generation, presents the Loving couple's ordeal with cogency, subtlety, and a characteristic greater interest in the intimacy and verisimilitude of the moment versus an overarching grandeur. There is a sting in describing the film's chief flaw: I hear myself in the past criticizing biopics and docudramas as overly beholden to clichés and formulaic structuring, as trying too hard to wring a crowd-pleasing and digestible movie from often complicated history, but here is a film which could in fact use tightening and an extra charge of cinematic flair. Nichols' telling of Loving v. Virginia's origin and outcome is admirable and largely beyond reproach—detail-oriented, frequently fascinating, grounded, sympathetic, and wise—but perhaps a shade too academic and measured, ever so slightly stunting what should be a visceral emotional experience as well as an intellectual one.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:19 am
Forum General

I thought this was great. Jeff Nichols definitely delivered another really solid film coming off of Midnight Special which I also highly enjoyed. Ruth Negga and Joel Edgerton give two power house performances here, but one brilliant performance I'm surprised more people aren't talking about is Marton Csokas in a very small role as the town sheriff. I found it hard to believe that was the same guy who played the main Russian baddie in The Equalizer and he nails the southern/redneck accent.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:17 pm
Wallflower

It's a nice little movie but I thought it would be better. I was oddly more moved by the trailer than the film itself.

7/10 ( B )

Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]