Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Guess Who 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Guess Who 
College Boy Z

Post Guess Who
Guess Who

Quote:
Guess Who is a 2005 American comedy film about race relations directed by Kevin Rodney Sullivan. It is a loose remake of the 1967 film Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, in the form of a romantic comedy. While that film covered interracial romance (of an African-American man with a white woman) in a serious, dramatic fashion, this film covered the topic (of a white man with an African-American woman) in a light, farcical manner. The film stars Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher.

The majority of the film was filmed in Cranford, New Jersey.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:47 pm
Teenage Dream

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:23 pm
College Boy Z

Guess Who was a lot better than I could have hoped for. It was downright hilarious. To be honest, I didn't expect a whole lot from this. I was just hoping to get a few laughs and walk out with a smile, but I could not stop laughing in this movie. The non-stop raciest jokes worked well in this movie (similar to Bringing Down the House). Ashton Kutcher and Bernie Mac had an undeniable connection as they were at each others throats throughout the movie. It was a very fun, non-stop laughs comedy. B+

Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:18 pm
Teenage Dream

Decent stuff. A lot better than I ever could have anticipated. Sure, all of the best jokes are in the trailers/tv spots, and it still feels like a generic romcom at points, but Bernie Mac has an amazing comedic gift and single handily elevates a lot of the material. It should have taken it's core idea a bit futher (the dinner scene where Bernie Mac makes Ashton Kutcher tell black jokes was good start), but it's passable entertainment.

Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:32 pm
Extraordinary

How can you not go see a Bernie Mac movie?

Some very funny mixed marriage humor, especially in the first half - but after that it goes pretty mushy.

3 out of 5.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:59 am
Forum General

I swear, how can you guys like some of these lame comedies? I swear, I don't think I laughed once, all of the jokes we've all heard before. Ashton Kutcher was ... alright, Bernie Mac was annoying. Zoe whateverherlastnameis was great though, I've always liked her since CROSSROADS. GUESS WHO already looked terrible, so I can't really say I'm disappointed.

5/10 (C-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
New Server, Same X

I swear, how can you guys like some of these lame comedies? I swear, I don't think I laughed once, all of the jokes we've all heard before. Ashton Kutcher was ... alright, Bernie Mac was annoying. Zoe whateverherlastnameis was great though, I've always liked her since CROSSROADS. GUESS WHO already looked terrible, so I can't really say I'm disappointed.

5/10 (C-)

If you're going to give a bad grade to every comedy that recycles old jokes and humor, you're going to be giving a lot of bad grades. It's not so much the jokes most times, it's how they're told. Guess Who? does a great job, and I have to say I think was undeniably good. Not great, no. But definitely something I didn't expect. It's also a rare case of when a movie starts out so-so, and gets better halfway through (usually the other way around with comedies). Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher are great in the movie. Ashton seems like Chevy Chase. Apparently, Chevy is an ass in real life, and Ashton seems like he's just too ... in-your-face, I guess. But, like Chevy, he's still great in movies. Even if Bernie basically plays the same character all the time, he's still funny. Natural comedy to him. Grade: B

Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:33 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Very funny movie. Missed a lot of potential though for some great laugh-out-loud moments. The racial storyline was well handled though and quite good. Overall very enjoyable but not without flaws. B

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:41 am
Extraordinary

Only good part about the movie imo was The Mac, he had the only funny moments. Story is been there done that, nothing out of the usual and the last 30min was very dull.
Grade - C

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:04 am
---------

Guess Who was exactly what I expected it to be. It had its great moments and some OK dramatic scenes. The line where Ashton is talking like Bernie Mac has to be my favorite part of the movie. The ending was predictable, and it kinda needed a more "closing" feel to it, but I liked the movie.

Grade: B

Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:21 pm
Teh Mexican

It wasnt really all that funny, just a few laughs here and there, but it was enjoyble and fun!

B-

Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:51 pm
You must have big rats

I am not a big fan of Ashton Kutcher's or Bernie Mac's comedic abilities and my expectations for this film were very low. This is probably part of the reason why it very pleasently surprised me. The movie was quite a bit funnier than I expected it too. It was not a laugh riot, but I did find myselg giggling a lot. What really surprised me, however, was how sweet the movie turned out towards the end. There are dull moments in it and there are painful jokes that just don't work, but overall the movie really succeeded in entertaining me.

Mon May 01, 2006 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Absolutely terrible. I was bored with this - I'd lump it in the same category as Rumor Has It and How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days.

The worst way to do a light, warm-hearted comedy...

D

Mon May 01, 2006 10:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

A decent comedy, if a bit by the books. Good work by Mac.

Mon May 01, 2006 11:19 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

I thought this was ok.

Wed May 03, 2006 12:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]