Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Don't Breathe 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Don't Breathe 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Don't Breathe
Don't Breathe

Quote:
Don't Breathe is a 2016 American horror thriller film directed by Fede Alvarez and written by Alvarez and Rodo Sayagues. The film stars Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette, Daniel Zovatto and Stephen Lang. The film was produced by Ghost House Pictures and Good Universe. The film premiered at South by Southwest on March 12, 2016 and is scheduled to be released on August 26, 2016, by Screen Gems and Stage 6 Films.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:27 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Don't Breathe
I thought this was an absolute blast and one of the most entertaining movies I've seen this year. There are a ton of cool twists and surprises, and the whole thing is basically nonstop tension. Jane Levy and Dylan Minnette are both fantastic and Stephen Lang is appropriately menacing. A must-see for genre fans. A-

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:55 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Saw the movie with a Q&A from Alvarez, Sam Raimi was also 2 rows in back of me lol

It's a solid film. It's pretty well made and there was one particular scene that will get a strong reaction ew

Idk if I liked this or not but I found Levy's character unlikable, which I guess was interesting.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:11 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Never seen a dog get so much applause.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Saw this again today. This movie is such a blast. So stoked it's doing well.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:17 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Saw it at midnight Thursday night and absolutely loved it. A terrific thriller. The whole thing is so well-orchestrated and very intense. Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette, and Stephen Lang are all great. I liked how the movie toyed with your sympathies and who to root for. I found Minnette's character to be the most likable by far. I feel like he was basically a good person despite being involved in these robberies.
Spoiler: show
I was really disappointed when he died. Honestly wouldn't have minded him being the only survivor if it weren't for Levy's character's reason for doing this. She kind of had to get out alive.

Definitely in my top 10 of the year so far. I plan on seeing it again on Tuesday. This made me think of this year's Green Room but where I feel that was over-hyped despite really liking it I feel like the hype here is justified. With this Fede Alvarez proves to be a gifted genre filmmaker.

9/10 (A)

Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:28 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought both Jane Levy and Dylan Minnette were both likable. Levy's just naturally charismatic, but I thought they did a great job of developing her character and making her motivations clear in a very few short scenes (much like Alvarez did in Evil Dead). While the movie does throw you right into the action after basically about 10 minutes, I was completely on board with her after her ladybug speech.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:33 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

In Detroit (played by Hungary with a few insert shots of the real place), a trio of youths (Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette, and Daniel Zovatto) commit low-level burglaries using information and keys stolen from one's father, the owner of a home-security firm. Their next target is a blind and reclusive Gulf War veteran (Stephen Lang) rumored to have thousands of dollars stored in his home. The plan goes awry, however, as their intended victim proves a lethal and resourceful foe. Though never incredible in any particular way—I honestly hoped to find it suspenseful in a visceral, even nauseating way, and it is not—Don't Breathe is an involving and taut genre exercise; it utilizes its the-hunter(s)-becomes-the-hunted premise well, only losing steam when the simple, yet brutal cat-and-mouse game gives way to a more contrived, desperate-to-disturb twist.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:43 pm
Pure Phase

I know we are just meant to roll with it, but I cannot help but wonder how the blind man captured the girl who ran over his daughter and set up his Jigsaw-esque dungeon.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:21 am
Sbil

I watched this entire movie peaking through my fingers. It's lightning paced, brutal and efficient. The tension is relentless and the film accomplishes everything a scary movie should set out to do. Director Fede Alvarez really plays with sound and lighting to create a sensory experience the audience is immersed in in the same way the characters are. Acting is solid all around, particularly Stephen Lang as a hulking, terrifying figure of menace, and Jane Levy, who makes her character ultimately pretty sympathetic despite her actions. A very nice late summer surprise. B+

Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:41 am
Indiana Jones IV

David wrote:
I know we are just meant to roll with it, but I cannot help but wonder how the blind man captured the girl who ran over his daughter and set up his Jigsaw-esque dungeon.

Maybe we'll find out in a......sequel? :unsure:

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Do you think maybe the girl went there to apologize and that's how he got her? I feel like that would be most likely. But how has nobody found her? He seems like the obvious suspect.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:28 am
Cream of the Crop

Don't Breathe is a solid non-supernatural horror thriller. What a pleasant surprise to see a solidly written genre movie these days. But since it's so well written, there were three "cheats" that stood out for me (all in the same sequence): 1. They were trapped in the upstairs rooms and checked the windows had bars on them, and yet seconds later the boy was thrown through a window to outside; 2. He lands on a glass skylight which is uncharacteristic of this type of house and is made of regular window glass. It's so obviously written just for the scene of the glass cracking as the man walks beneath; 3. The giant ventilation system the girl escapes into, would not be in this type of house. In any other crappy film, these points would not even be noticeable, however in this tightly written script they stuck out like a sore thumb. Otherwise, I would have preferred it to end with all the intruders justly dead, but I understand the financial need to leave it open for a sequel. *A-*

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:13 am
Cream of the Crop

David wrote:

Spoiler: show
The same way he's going to go to California and capture the home invader girl in the sequel.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:17 am
Pure Phase

Greyhound and good old-fashioned American can-do spirit.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:30 pm
Cream of the Crop

One weak point in this movie, that I was fortunately able to consciously ignore, was the amount of noise the intruders were making while walking around the house. Anyone who has lived in an old house, soon learns all of it's creaks, and even lying in an upstairs bedroom can hear exactly where someone is moving in the rest of the house. Add to this, the enhanced attention to hearing of a blind person, and the teenage interlopers might as well have been a herd of elephants the way they were "sneaking" around.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:48 am
The Kramer

This was great. It takes awhile to get going. And like Goosebumps, it has to overcome its wooden lead actor.

But once the thrills start they never let go. And things escalate even further once they head down into the basement. Jane Levy is solid, atleast enough to get us to sympathize with her.

The fate of Alex is rather cruel, even with that actor playing him. The friend zone is deadly. But I guess we wouldn't get the scene with the dog in the car otherwise.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:14 pm
Forum General

Just like Green Room I found this to be a bit overrated, but it is a solid film. I really enjoyed the sequences in the house, although I wish there was more stuff like the lights out scene. That was easily the best part. Levy and Minnette were good and surprisingly pretty likeable characters, but I did find it funny how many times Minnette's character was suppose to be dead. Also, some things seemed way too convenient at times, especially the twist with Lang's character which felt unnecessary and bs.

It would have been better if they had played it straight and not made him into somekind of ridiculous serial killer who likes to impregnate women.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:38 pm
now we know

So this is the best horror of the year. It is the It Follows of 2016. Very well filmed, compelling, eerie, and surprising. If not for the annoying Dylan Minnette, who should have been recast, it would rank in the top three horrors for the decade. But it is still a non-stop thrill ride within such a confined space, with an unusual killer. Looking forward to a sequel.

Glad I saw this before the KJ Movie Awards. Though it's good, I didn't feel comfortable having The Witch as "best horror".

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

**1/2 / ***** (C-)

Opening the movie with a shot of the old guy dragging the girl by her hair really spoils nearly all of the suspense the movie offers. I don't know what exactly was the point of starting the movie with it, as it pretty much gets into action almost immediately. After the first guy dies, you can tell that the other guy will too and the old guy will somehow end up dragging her down the street. So instead of wondering what will happen next I was just going: "Oh, he didn't get him this time? The next one then.", but I was never really into it.

I'm still not sure if the twist was good or bad. Didn't shock me, didn't make me go: "Damn!". It was more like - oh that's how they were gonna make this movie longer. I did like the cum in mouth scene. That was funny. Oh, putting a baster into someone who doesn't want to = rape, so I didn't appreciate the writers making it seem like that was somehow OK.

I liked how none of them were really good persons and despite their try at making us root for the burglars, I kind of thought they got what they deserved. The ending was the best part. It would be interesting to see a sequel to this. Obviously both the girl and the guy would want some extra revenge on each other. I'd be interested to see how that would play out. Hopefully they don't show the scene from the end if there's a second time.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]