Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Suicide Squad 

Rate the film:
A 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Suicide Squad 
now we know

Post Suicide Squad

Quote:
Suicide Squad is a 2016 American superhero film based on the DC Comics antihero team of the same name. Written and directed by David Ayer and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, it is the third installment in the DC Extended Universe. The film stars an ensemble cast featuring Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Joel Kinnaman, Viola Davis, Jai Courtney, Jay Hernandez, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Ike Barinholtz, Scott Eastwood and Cara Delevingne. In Suicide Squad, a secret government agency led by Amanda Waller recruits imprisoned supervillains to execute dangerous black ops missions and save the world from a powerful threat in exchange for clemency.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:37 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Suicide Squad
So... Suicide Squad is probably my least favorite film of the DCEU so far. I did like it, and it has some great moments and interesting characters, but the film falls short in areas that I wish it didn't.

Will Smith is essentially the lead and gets the most material, and luckily he's very good here and is able to carry the movie. Margot Robbie is really enjoyable as Harley but she doesn't have enough to do to steal this movie from Smith. I hope we see her in the next Batman film. The rest of the cast is fine, but most of them don't have any major character moments. Jared Leto is serviceable as the Joker but underused.

As for the structure of the film... yeah, the editing of the first 20 minutes or so is weird. The whole section of Harley's flashbacks moves so quick I was like, "oh, so that's all to that scene?" So strange. I'm not sure if there was more filmed than what we saw but I would've liked to have seen those scenes more fleshed out. It's also strange how much in the trailers isn't in the actual film...

Overall I found it entertaining. The group dynamic is there and I found myself caring for these characters, but there needed at least one more scene of the squad bonding for the whole 'friends' and 'family' lines to work. I'd give it a B.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:45 am
Cream of the Crop

Suicide Squad is not as bad as BvS. That's the good news, because otherwise the movie features a remarkably uninvolving story. Too much swelling violins take the place of swell ass violence. The 'best' jokes are all aimed at the closet mysogynists among us: "Look! It's funny cool to hurt women, if you believe they're evil." The casting was fine, they just had very little to work with here. *C-*

(When you look at Suicide Squad beside Guardians of the Galaxy, the obvious difference is the engaging kick-ass story in the latter, though story is rather out of fashion these days. Also: I didn't realize the Joker is a vampire.)

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:55 pm
Forum General

The first 30 minutes of this movie was some of the most badly edited/jarring stuff I have ever seen, but overall I can say I still enjoyed it. It is entertaining for the most part, although a bit tone deaf at times. Robbie/Smith killed it and the Squad actually has great chemistry, but while I ended up liking these characters it's unfortunate that the movie their in is so mediocre. The mission and the villain are complete shit, especially the villain. I wasn't sure before because I had only seen her in Paper Towns, but Cara Delevingne is a horrible actress plain and simple. The third act was really weird and felt like it belonged in a different film all together, but most importantly this movie didn't need to have The Joker in it at all. The little we got of Leto I liked, but it wasn't enough to make any kind of impression. Viola Davis was fantastic as Waller and the use of Flash/Batman was cool.

Last edited by Dil on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:03 am
Pure Phase

Despite its unwieldy nature, I enjoyed Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice more than most (particularly in its more cogent extended home-video form), so I have not invested in the doomsday cloud hovering above Warner's DC Extended Universe. Suicide Squad, however, is a problem. This is a mediocre, at times extremely ugly, and nearly always badly assembled action film.

First, though, the film does contain a few triumphs. Though his roughly 10 minutes of screen time are rather minor after so many delirious stories of method-acting mayhem (used condoms! live rats!), Jared Leto's tattooed, nightclub-haunting gangland Joker is eerie and magnetic. It is foolish and unfair to compare him to indomitable and inimitable duo of Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger after so small a part in so poor a film, but I am ready to see this version of the character directly fight Batman in a future sequel. Margot Robbie is also superb as Harley Quinn, the deranged Bonnie to his unhinged Clyde; she is sexy, fierce, energetic, and clearly committed to perfecting this high-wire fan-favorite role, and she does with an assist from gag-themed weaponry and scantily clad attire. And Viola Davis does no wrong as icily methodical government agent Amanda Waller, creating a character whose fusion of micromanagement and volatility is fascinating to observe even as she also serves an expository and procedural purpose.

This trio of performers and characters is an asset to the DC Extended Universe moving forward. Beyond them, much of Suicide Squad deserves a fast trip out of one's memory and down the proverbial drain. In regard to momentum, pacing, structure, etc., it plays as unfinished; it is constantly fumbling over itself, full of haphazard transitions and rushed introductions. Staged largely on what could be the same anonymous city set with minor redecoration, the action is never particularly involving, full of halfheartedly chosen closeups and dreadful, Mummy Returns-esque computer-generated imagery. And though this is where this project is meant to shine and stand apart, most of the characters fail to leave an impression: Will Smith blandly plays Will Smith as a main character who never entirely registers as the protagonist, and one constantly wonders how Jai Courtney's bloated, boozy, nonthreatening thief Captain Boomerang ended up on a team described as the worst of the worst. And as the main antagonist, an archaeologist possessed by a witch's evil spirit, Cara Delevingne delivers an atomic bomb of a bad performance; her melodramatic, gyrating, English-accented suggestion of ancient evil is laughable.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:47 am
Pure Phase

What a distinctive place this "Midway City" is. I sure hope it is not destroyed! I feel so bad for its citizens! ;)

The best scene in this movie by far is when Harley and the Joker leap into the vat of chemicals. I might watch this scene again on YouTube in the future.

Even if she were competently played, the Enchantress would still be a wash with her standard-issue, undefined desire to conquer the world. "You shall serve below my feet!" and so on and so forth, rinse, repeat, topple a building, yawn. Incredibly boring on the page and made worse by dire acting.

This film so very badly fails to capture any of the maniacal, no-rules, flip-the-bird, upside-down energy promised by the advertising. I know it is a PG-13 franchise cog playing within a very specific sandbox, but the Guardians of the Galaxy are way more sexy-dangerous and irreverent.

I wonder if the treatment of women here will become a subject of scrutiny or criticism. I am not a person who tries to turn everything into a cause for I-am-triggered uproar, but the casual and mean-spirited assaults on women are hard not to notice. Batman punching Harley Quinn treated as an applause-worthy beat. Or Adam Beach's hilariously extraneous character punching a female guard because "she has a mouth" (and I am not entirely sure the film is not on his side).

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:02 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I will start with good. Its better than BvS. Robbie as expected provides good energy and laughs to the film, I would love to see a solo film of her. I LOVED Leto in a small role (almost a cameo) though you can see his part was majorly the re-shoots which is unfair to the character. The use of Batman and Flash in cameos was pretty good. Blink Blink cameos used twice, that's all.

The script is pretty bad. The villain is horrible storywise and Cara Delevingne should be nominated/win for Razzies this year. The visuals are bland and don't register anything eye-popping. The lesser visual scenes of the cast roaming around the streets was great. The team in itself is great but there is not even a single moment in the film where you see them fighting as one or aiding each other aside from saving Joel Kinnaman twice in the movie. I believe the team would have delivered a great chemistry but the script does not allow them to flash it out, to be honest I don't even remember these guys greeting each other (in a weird/suspicious way) when they meet the first time. Viola Davis is great but her character as is most of them are thinly written.

It can be watched as a guilty pleasure but I highly doubt this will bring any hopes that DCEU is going in the right direction. David Ayer seems to be lost most of the times on what to do with these characters or maybe he needlessly overstuffed the story with too many characters.

4/10

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:23 am
Forum General

David wrote:
What a distinctive place this "Midway City" is. I sure hope it is not destroyed! I feel so bad for its citizens! ;)

The best scene in this movie by far is when Harley and the Joker leap into the vat of chemicals. I might watch this scene again on YouTube in the future.

Even if she were competently played, the Enchantress would still be a wash with her standard-issue, undefined desire to conquer the world. "You shall serve below my feet!" and so on and so forth, rinse, repeat, topple a building, yawn. Incredibly boring on the page and made worse by dire acting.

This film so very badly fails to capture any of the maniacal, no-rules, flip-the-bird, upside-down energy promised by the advertising. I know it is a PG-13 franchise cog playing within a very specific sandbox, but the Guardians of the Galaxy are way more sexy-dangerous and irreverent.

I wonder if the treatment of women here will become a subject of scrutiny or criticism. I am not a person who tries to turn everything into a cause for I-am-triggered uproar, but the casual and mean-spirited assaults on women are hard not to notice. Batman punching Harley Quinn treated as an applause-worthy beat. Or Adam Beach's hilariously extraneous character punching a female guard because "she has a mouth" (and I am not entirely sure the film is not on his side).

I agree with a lot of this.

An R-rating would have really helped, because the movie isn't nearly as crazy or violent as they hyped it up to be. The action sequences themselves were mostly generic gun battles anyways which did get boring after a while. Also, it's incredibly frustrating how much they blew it with the villain here. Enchantress was just awful and wtf was up with that belly dancing at the end lol!. That character and her brother were such poor excuses for movie villains and brought the movie down a ton IMO.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:38 am
Pure Phase

The rendering of the witch's brother seriously reminds me of this gem:

Just shameful CGI for a mega-budget 2016 film with access to the finest digital artists and technicians.

On another note, Tom Hardy should be so damn glad Alejandro G. Iñárritu's prolonged search for the perfect stretch of icy wasteland forced him to drop out of this movie. His career is not perfectly run (hello and goodbye, This Means War and Child 44), but he did not need to waste his time playing the role poor Joel Kinnaman does here.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:42 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Dil wrote:
David wrote:

I agree with a lot of this.

An R-rating would have really helped, because the movie isn't nearly as crazy or violent as they hyped it up to be. The action sequences themselves were mostly generic gun battles anyways which did get boring after a while. Also, it's incredibly frustrating how much they blew it with the villain here. Enchantress was just awful and wtf was up with that belly dancing at the end lol!. That character and her brother were such poor excuses for movie villains and brought the movie down a ton IMO.

That caught my attention and laugh as well, I mean what the hell was she doing there?? It was an awkward laugh and then no one in my showing was laughing at that :huh: :sweat:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:56 am
Superfreak

This is clearly their attempt at Marvels "stupid fun with likable characters" angle and it works better than most Marvel films. The villain sucks. Other than that, this is fun popcorn with likable characters.

I don't know what I am missing? This isn't BVS which so clearly fails at being this epic film which it aspires to be. The RT score is baffling.

This is absolutely no worse than JURASSIC WORLD.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:48 am
Gamaur's sex slave

Excel wrote:
This is clearly their attempt at Marvels "stupid fun with likable characters" angle and it works better than most Marvel films. The villain sucks. Other than that, this is fun popcorn with likable characters.

I don't know what I am missing? This isn't BVS which so clearly fails at being this epic film which it aspires to be. The RT score is baffling.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:01 am
Extraordinary

Smith and Robbie are fun.

I genuinely had no idea what the team's actual goal was at any point during the movie.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:03 am
Extraordinary

Wasn't their goal to stop Enchantress? The squad didn't really know their goal either as Rick Flagg wouldn't tell them what was really going on until Deadshot confronted him with the case binder.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:17 am
Extraordinary

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Wasn't their goal to stop Enchantress?

Sure, in the third act. Before that, their goal is "get to this place because, um, reasons."

Warner Bros. is clearly butchering the editing of DC films. Look at the scene with Enchantress and her brother in the subway -- we incoherently get part of the scene early on, and then get a flashback that sort of doesn't match the first piece in the third act. It reeks of multiple editors weaving footage together independently of each other.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:20 am
Cream of the Crop

Excel wrote:

Warner Brothers: You've got your poster quote!

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:33 am
Superfreak

The Dark Shape wrote:
Smith and Robbie are fun.

I genuinely had no idea what the team's actual goal was at any point during the movie.

The whole "OMG Amanda Waller was the woman in the building!" Was like.....and?

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:59 am
Pure Phase

Yes, Waller being the extraction target is clearly meant to be this, "HOLY CRAP! Never saw it coming!" twist, but it is completely inert.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:54 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Excel wrote:

Read some of the reviews above you, I am sure you will get it.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:38 pm
Superfreak

We are too Nolanized.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:11 pm
New Server, Same X

So does it more resemble the first trailer, which seemed to indicate a darker film, or the second trailer, which seemed to switch a light on the film, complete with Queen and Sweet songs? Or a mishmash of the two?

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:01 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Mister Ecks wrote:
So does it more resemble the first trailer, which seemed to indicate a darker film, or the second trailer, which seemed to switch a light on the film, complete with Queen and Sweet songs? Or a mishmash of the two?

I'd guess a mishmashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:14 pm
Pure Phase

Zack Snyder directed the scene where the Flash catches Captain Boomerang.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:15 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Mister Ecks wrote:

It doesn't really switch its tone but its a mess overall from storytelling and editing perspective.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:37 am
Pure Phase

I would say it plays as the second trailer's aesthetic and tone forcibly laid over a heavily cut version of a film which once resembled the first trailer.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next