Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Huntsman: Winter's War 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Huntsman: Winter's War

Quote:
The Huntsman: Winter's War is a 2016 British-American dark fantasy adventure film and is a prequel/sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman, based on the characters from the German fairy tale "Snow White" compiled by the Brothers Grimm, as well as "The Snow Queen" by Hans Christian Andersen. It is the directing debut of Cedric Nicolas-Troyan, who acted as visual effects supervisor on the first film, and is written by Craig Mazin and Evan Spiliotopoulos. The film stars Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron, Nick Frost and Sam Claflin reprising their roles, who are joined by Emily Blunt, Rob Brydon and Jessica Chastain. Principal photography began on April 6, 2015. The film was released on April 4, 2016 in the United Kingdom and is scheduled for release in the United States on April 22.

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Huntsman: Winter's War
Unnecessary, dull, visual extravagance that has a non-sensical storyline. The acting is fine but the muddled screenplay doesn't use the talented cast enough. One bright spot in this is Theron, whenever she is present lights up the movie, but there are VERY few scenes with her and mostly all of them are ruined in teasers. Blunt is wasted here but she does a good job. Chastain and Hemsworth surprisingly give a below average performance though its really the script because you don't care for these characters.

If its upto me I would say just ignore without the star cast this is almost DTV material.

3/10. D+

Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:20 am
Extraordinary

I think there was potential for a cool film had it been Snow White instead of Jessica Chastain's character, and more time spent on the relationship between Ravenna and Freya. Instead we get a rather uneven film that doesn't really use its great actors at their best. It's watchable but not enough time is presented in term of character to care about what's going on. It's too bad, I rather liked SWATH.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:54 am
Pure Phase

Four years, 400 million dollars, and one tabloid scandal later, Universal Pictures combines Snow White and the Huntsman's most celebrated component (Charlize Theron's seductively scenery-devouring evil queen) and its least controversial (Chris Hemsworth' brooding, chiseled Huntsman) to create an at times unwieldy and almost always corny, yet also enticing and ultimately superior prequel-sequel hybrid. A significant credit to the new film is Emily Blunt; her stylish and taut interpretation of Hans Christian Andersen's archetypal Snow Queen commands attention. She exudes both ferocity and otherworldly melancholy as the character ruminates on past trauma and lords over her Burton-esque ice castle, a crystalline triumph of production design and computer-generated artistry. The clearly labored-over, world-build-around-a-Kristen-Stewart-shaped-hole structure is worth it more often than not for the space it provides Blunt, who also shares dynamic sibling-rivalry chemistry with Theron in their scenes together. As for Hemsworth, the nominal lead in a girl-power enterprise, he reprises the standard-issue-studly role of Eric the Huntsman with a more jovial touch.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:55 am
Pure Phase

I guess this is the rare mainstream franchise where evil wins since Theron is still flying around in golden-bird form at the end, and we will never see a third film.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:58 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is a blast and the critics are honestly being way too hard on it. It's flawed, sure, and the fact that Kristen Stewart's character never appears despite being referenced throughout is an obvious detriment. But this is a super fun and entertaining movie where I felt like the actors were constantly having a good time, and it's more lighthearted and enjoyable than its predecessor (which I also liked). It's the definition of a good popcorn movie and has fun action setpieces, gorgeous costumes and production design and a game ensemble giving 'movie star' performances. Emily Blunt is actually great here and Charlize Theron looks like she's having a blast, and the movie is at its best when they are on screen (and especially near the end where they share screen time). Chris Hemsworth and Jessica Chastain are also solid - I didn't really buy their romance but Hemsworth was at his most charming and Chastain was a good action heroine (even if her accent was spotty). I even thought the dwarves were fun and had some great one liners. Sure, it's derivative of other movies, but in this day and age what isn't? I'd say it's definitely worth checking out - it's a million times more enjoyable than a certain other big budget blockbuster released this spring (and for the record I thought this was more entertaining than The Jungle Book, though I guess that's technically the "superior" film). B+

Last edited by thompsoncory on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:06 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Chastain does seem slightly constricted by the hardcore, "Don't ya ken mah love for ye, ye daft lad?" Scottish accent. They should have just let her use her own accent.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:11 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Agreed. it added nothing to the character.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:13 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I don't know if it was because of low expectations, but aside from the bad cgi and questionable Irish accents I actually kinda liked this movie. I wasn't a fan of the first one and only remember it having some nice visuals, but this was definitely a more entertaining film. Emily Blunt and Charlize Theron have great onscreen presence and Chris Hemsworth was his usual likable self. Chastain was just there and while she didn't have much to do she made it work. Nick Frost and the other dwarf dude had me laughing quite a bit too. Also, that random Kristen Stewart stand in was pretty hilarious.

Tue May 17, 2016 12:21 am
Cream of the Crop

Much better than it's reputation, but The Huntsman suffers from a poorly constructed story that repeatedly takes the life out of it. Still beautifully rendered, funny, and well acted. *B*

Wed May 18, 2016 5:24 am
The Wall

Yeah. No. It's just bad all around.

*1/2 / ***** (D-)

Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:55 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

This was fine. Quite good even, after the female dwarves come in. If only Winter's War didn't have to waste so much time connecting itself to Snow White and the Huntsman. And wtf was with Chastain's accent? She was so hot in this movie but her voice was even more distracting than her beauty.

I gave the first Huntsman a D. Winter's War misses a chance to be great, but is much better and worth a watch to all fantasy lovers.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]