Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Divergent Series: Allegiant 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Divergent Series: Allegiant

Quote:
The Divergent Series: Allegiant (also known simply as Allegiant) is a 2016 American science fiction adventure film directed by Robert Schwentke with a screenplay by Stephen Chbosky, Bill Collage, Adam Cooper, and Noah Oppenheim. It is the first of two cinematic parts based on the novel Allegiant, the final book in the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth, and the third installment in The Divergent Series, produced by Lucy Fisher, Pouya Shabazian, and Douglas Wick, and distributed by Lionsgate. The film stars Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Jeff Daniels, Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort, Zoë Kravitz, Maggie Q, Ray Stevenson, Daniel Dae Kim, Bill Skarsgard, Octavia Spencer and Naomi Watts. It is the sequel to Insurgent and will be followed by the concluding entry, Ascendant. (Allegiant and Ascendant were originally to be titled Allegiant - Part 1 and Allegiant - Part 2.)

Allegiant was released on March 18, 2016 in theaters and IMAX to generally negative reviews from critics.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: The Divergent Series: Allegiant
And in one fell swoop the series has gone from watchable (and I mean that with the faintest of praise) to lazy and stupid. And if the movie is following the plot line of the books (I don't see why it wouldn't...and yes, I haven't read the books) you can blame the drop in quality on the author.

Every character's motivation who aren't named Tris or Four are murky at best. And the two main villains, especially the one who isn't Jeff Daniels it's hard to tell why they're even a villain in the first place except to just setup the stupid finale. And I cannot stress enough how mind-numbingly stupid the finale is (and the last shot of the movie...).

On the bright side, the movie looks pretty. There ya go movie! You're the equivalent of a bimbo. You've got that going for ya!

*½ (C-)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:59 pm
Profile WWW

Oh and memory loss serum. Memory loss serum?

Fuck you movie.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This was just as weak as Insurgent. I'm not really sure why they chose to make so many differences from the books, it's not like the choices they made helped the story at all.

The cast deserved a better franchise.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:58 am
why so serious?

While not outright terrible, Allegiant is a clear step down from its predecessors. Whereas those films at least had enough going for them to register as guilty pleasures with some halfway-decent ideas, this one is a dull affair in which the urgency feels lessened despite the fact that the stakes have (theoretically) been raised. publicenemy#1 hit nail on the head with his comment that this cast deserves a better movie. Shailene Woodley in particular needs the opportunity to break free from this franchise. She was excellent in The Descendants and The Fault in Our Stars, and she has done her best to elevate a thin character throughout the duration of this franchise; however, with how little development Tris gets in this installment, Woodley isn't left with much to do besides go through the motions. It's kind of startling how little chemistry she has with Theo James, but I'm also willing to chalk that lack of a spark up to how minimally the script even bothers to acknowledge that they're supposed to be in love with each other. Naomi Watts tries to bring shades of moral conflict to her character, but it's a decision that doesn't gel with the script's attempt to make her take the place of Kate Winslet's villain from the last two films; that being said, she's still better than Jeff Daniels, who is less intimidating as a full-on villain in this film than he was as the stern-but-totally-well-meaning NASA director in The Martian (he did provide my single biggest laugh in the entire film, though; see after the grade). Although neither of the first two films was a masterpiece of the dystopian YA subgenre and this one does have a few pulse-raising moments, the lack of conviction that pervades so much of the running time causes Allegiant - and, by extension, its franchise - to sputter out well short of the finish line.

C

That being said...

1.) I've heard that it's just how the character is written in the source material, but I love how Miles Teller simply appears not to care in the slightest about anything that's happening around him and act like an overly smarmy douche. Even if he truly is in character, I can't help but feel like it's a not-so-subtle indicator that he feels this thing is beneath him, so he's going to at least have some fun with it.

2.) I saw it in Providence, so any and all mentions of the film's city of Providence led to scattered snickering throughout the auditorium. The best part, though, was when Jeff Daniels said that he would be taking Woodley to Providence. "Oh," I thought, "Are they going to take the Mutt Cutts van?"

Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:52 pm
Extraordinary

DIVERGENT SERIES: ALLEGIANT

I actually enjoyed this maybe more than the first. I think this series has gotten better and more interesting as it has gone along. I like the group of young actors and veterans they have mixed in this series. I think the biggest problem it had was that it just came after the Hunger Games and felt like a lesser version of that which diminished it's audience. I really thought the visuals was more improved and I liked the story. I did get tired of the Whiplash guy [forgive me I'm blanking on his name] but his lines were nice in the beginning but got old at the end. I'm interested in how the story will complete itself also I liked the soundtrack too.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:21 am
Sbil

As someone who actually enjoyed the first two Divergent movies, what the heck was this? There's no sense of urgency or forward momentum; everything that happens feels like a muted, muddled rehash of events from the past two. Also, why is it all so cheap looking?

The entire cast sleepwalks their way through the movie, especially poor Shailene Woodley, who could not possibly look more bored and I can't say I really blame her.

It's a disappointingly steep decline for a YA franchise that actually started off with some promise.

D+

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:05 pm
Pure Phase

Boom. Ouch. Thud. The Divergent franchise implodes with third entry Allegiant. I previously enjoyed this franchise for its strong heroine and an absurd-yet-amusing conceit inviting against-the-world teenage angst to play out on a post-apocalyptic-action-movie scale. But this penultimate chapter is an atomic bomb aimed squarely at any goodwill or rooting interest generated by what came before. It renders Shailene Woodley's Tris an inert observer in her own story, ignoring the strength the first film derived from identification with her character's sense of discovery, both of her own potential and the nature of her world. As a result, the spirited actress seems sleepy and distracted. It utilizes poor Jeff Daniels (phoning in his performance from a hotel on Pluto) to heave a convoluted and incredibly soporific new bundle of mythology involving the "pure" and the "damaged." And for a sequel with a presumably healthy, even considerable budget, the aesthetic is newly ugly, with swaths of toxic desert out of a kitschy 1950s television series, unconvincing green screen at nearly every turn, and what I can only describe as an uncomfortable bubble fetish. To be honest, there is almost nothing praiseworthy here beyond a few modestly involving action sequences, none bearing heavily on the slow and confused plot, and the presence of Theo James, still captivating in a certain Byronic way as love interest Four.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:17 am
Pure Phase

Note the cheesy horror-movie ending. Everyone is happy. The day is won. They stopped the, uh, evil orange-yellow amnesia gas. OH, SHIT! JEFF DANIELS IS BEHIND HER, GLOWERING. AH! Credits.

And only Maggie Q is spared by her character's death. (Naomi Watts' gunshot wound seems nonfatal. Kate Winslet laughs.) It is rather amusing Miles Teller, so desperate to be this Marlon Brando acting titan with a Hunter S. Thompson sense of humor, will have to return yet again to play Mr. One-Liner Turncoat.

Maybe they can turn it around for the final film. I will root for them. Though it is hard to imagine the Evil Jeff Daniels/pure/damaged shit ever being remotely interesting.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:19 am
Extraordinary

I can't believe this was actually worse than Insurgent lol

The whole thing was Jeff Daniels was a bore. Tris gets called up to him like a dozen times and what great things did they accomplish? Still don't know.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:28 am
Pure Phase

I am completely confused by the "revelation" (?) regarding Ashley Judd's character and how it fits into the story's timeline.

Also, the Jeff Daniels character does an awful job ruling with an iron fist. "He did not want you to see this!" (A minor character says re: Four going on the abduction run in the Scorch...wait, the Fringe.) Yet he...allowed him to go.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:32 am
Extraordinary

It's small, but it's stupid how Maggie Q's character randomly appears with them when they get to the wall and
Spoiler: show
then dies.

Also what happened to all the people who left the wall in Insurgent? lol like I don't think they made it to where Tris and company ended up. I guess they were like "there isn't shit out here" and went back inside.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:12 pm
Pure Phase

I believe we are meant to assume no one made it through, though the crowd in the first shot does not precisely match the enormous sea of people shown at the end of Insurgent.

Also, watching Insurgent's ending on YouTube, there is a ruined ship shown right beyond the wall. I swear this is completely gone in this film.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:43 pm
Pure Phase

Oh, and I love how Tris' hairstyle completely changes between Insurgent and Allegiant. Dystopian salon.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:44 pm
Extraordinary

(if you don't want to know what happens at the end of the series don't click)
If the film makers do go with Tris dying at the end of the last one.... lolololol Let's not. Just let her and Four be together at the end of the series and call it a day.

It's a real shame though. I really liked the first film.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:02 pm
Cream of the Crop

I haven't read the books, but I've seen all the entires in this movie series. Without the factions, the story has become very bland, with events happening for no other reason than to keep the plot plodding along. The best part of the series, Shailene Woodley didn't have nearly enough to do. This one's dull, though I'l still see the last one, and will probably regret it. *C-*

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:09 pm

publicenemy#1 wrote:
(if you don't want to know what happens at the end of the series don't click)
If the film makers do go with Tris dying at the end of the last one.... lolololol Let's not. Just let her and Four be together at the end of the series and call it a day.

It's a real shame though. I really liked the first film.

Wow. :funny:

Veronica Roth just not giving a shit about character arcs.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:03 pm
Profile WWW

Also, dumb question: Are we supposed to assume Miles Teller got blown to shit or because the explosion was shown from afar that he somehow got out of it?

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

His character ran through the broken shield.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:20 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Disappointing even with my lowered expectations. The movie simply drags along for no apparent reason. It has a similar arc as MJ1 but does the job VERY poorly. Woodley is given nothing to do in this. Jeff Daniels is wasted even though I like him in anything he didn't do much here. The chemistry between Four and Tris seemed so FORCED even the hugs every time they meet each other seemed wooden. The visuals were so horrible yet they were the only redeeming quality of the movie specially the drones.

1/10.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:02 pm

nghtvsn wrote:
His character ran through the broken shield.

The explosion seemed massive though.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

He was clearly alive after the explosion.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:44 am

Jack Sparrow wrote:
He was clearly alive after the explosion.

They showed him again?

Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:21 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I meant the explosion was big but it was far and wasn't felt from the place they were standing. The sheild was much closer to Chicago because in the scenes going in and out it takes sometime coming out of it on an aircraft. The final scene with Teller was with him going inside after the explosion so I guess he would be alive in the end, atleast that's what I felt.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:28 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually love the first two movies as pure popcorn entertainment, but this was definitely a major step down. It's still somewhat enjoyable if you turn your brain off (and about a thousand times more interesting than Batman v. Superman) but the plot here is so silly and convoluted, and Jeff Daniels is a poor villain and replacement for Kate Winslet. There are still some decent moments though mostly due to the appealing cast, even though all of them look a little tired of this franchise by this point. I still think Theo James is the standout and the most interesting character. Naomi Watts is also solid. The visuals range from good to ridiculous, those bubble things were absolutely hilarious as was the "cleansing" scene - and the red desert just looked like some cheap Mad Max ripoff. The "cliffhanger" ending is also stupid. I'm still excited to see the last film though solely because of my goodwill towards the previous installments. I definitely hope it's better. C

Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:55 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next