Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Beasts of No Nation 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Beasts of No Nation 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Beasts of No Nation
Beasts of No Nation

Quote:
Beasts of No Nation is a 2015 West African war drama film directed, written and filmed by Cary Fukunaga, based on the 2005 novel of the same name by Uzodinma Iweala. The film stars Idris Elba, Ama K. Abebrese, Abraham Attah, Grace Nortey, David Dontoh and Opeyemi Fagbohungbe. It was screened in the main competition section of the 72nd Venice International Film Festival where it won the Marcello Mastroianni Award.

It has been selected to be shown in the Special Presentations section of the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival. The film is scheduled to be released on Netflix globally on October 16, 2015 and the same day, the film will be released in a limited release by Bleecker Street.

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Beasts of No Nation
Very handsomely made and riveting. It's incredibly hard to watch at times, but that's almost the point. Idris Elba gives a phenomenal performance as does Abraham Attah in his film debut. I did think it was a bit overlong and it drags a bit but this is a very good film that's definitely going to be in the awards conversation this year. B+

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:49 pm
Profile YIM
Let's Call It A Bromance

I agree with thompsoncory that it does run a bit long, could have easily cut 15-20 minutes I feel. The film is shot very well and Elba is quite strong here with some very dramatic sequences. There was just something missing from it all to make it truly special. It will definitely get some nominations but I don't know if the film will be able to keep up momentum by the time Oscar night rolls around.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

A stylish war film depicting the plight of a child soldier, Beasts of No Nation is very easy to admire, but considering the tragic nature of the story, I wish it hit harder. Set in an unidentified (fictional?) West African country torn asunder by civil conflict, the film turns on a wide-eyed adolescent (Abraham Attah) who is first separated from his mother and sister when they flee to the capital and then left entirely alone when his father and brother are shot dead. He is later found in the bush by a rebel squad, and their fiery "Commandant" (an electrifying Idris Elba) enlists him to fight, ushering him into an innocence-scorching inferno of murder and mayhem.

The film is crafted with focus and skill by Cary Joji Fukunaga, an ambitious director known for his lushly Gothic, compactly told adaptation of Jane Eyre and the iconic first season of the HBO anthology series True Detective. As a directorial exercise, the quality of Beasts of No Nation is hard to dispute. Several scenes of chaos and combat unfold in a single, serpentine shot without a cut (at least not a discernible one), and others achieve a rhapsodic, sweeping war-is-a-beautiful-nightmare quality reminiscent of Apocalypse Now or The Thin Red Line.

However, the decision to set the film in an anonymous African country falls a tad flat. This is a case in which well-researched specificity (or even fictional specificity) would trump universality, and I quietly wonder if it is not a shade ignorant for the film's creators to assume, "Oh, violent groups with acronyms for names perpetuating a never-ending cycle of violence and political unrest. Ha, this could be anywhere in Africa!" Also, the vivid sense of cinematic bravado and propulsion driving the film from one lavish, carnage-fueled set piece to the next undercuts a certain internal cohesion, particularly in regard to the protagonist's transformation from a scared child to a drug-abusing, hard-charging fighter. Clarity and character are outpaced by the search for spectacle as the plot almost becomes a series of disturbing vignettes. A close-but-no-cigar compensatory inclusion comes in the form of expository voice-over: literary musings to his mother and God presented in faux-guileless poor English. In general, in dramatizing this solemn and topical subject, I cannot help but believe a profound and journalistic humanism should reinforce the technical action-movie gusto. Beasts of No Nation, though well-acted and extremely captivating as a sensory experience, more than delivers the directorial flair, but rather feigns the conscience.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:51 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is a very well shot movie and there are scenes here and there that are visually stunning and visceral but I never emotionally connected to Agu's transformation(s) throughout the movie which made the feel longer than it is. Abraham Attah is great in here and Elba steals every scene he is in here (though I was never moved by his performance). Cary Fukunaga does a great job setting up the scenes specially the civil war scenes in particularly the one where they take back the village. I just did not felt that the movie challenged me emotionally and while a lot of transformations are on display it never connects emotionally in second half as it does in the first half.

B

Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]