Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials 

What grade would you give this film?
A 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
D 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Quote:
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (also known simply as The Scorch Trials) is a 2015 American dystopian science fiction action thriller film based on James Dashner's novel The Scorch Trials, the second novel in The Maze Runner trilogy. The film is the sequel to the 2014 film The Maze Runner and the second installment in The Maze Runner film series, directed by Wes Ball, with a screenplay by T.S. Nowlin. Adding to the existing cast of Dylan O'Brien, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Ki Hong Lee, Kaya Scodelario, and Patricia Clarkson, the supporting cast was filled out with Rosa Salazar, Jacob Lofland, Giancarlo Esposito, Aidan Gillen, Barry Pepper, Lili Taylor and Alan Tudyk.

The plot of The Scorch Trials takes place immediately after the previous installment, with Thomas (O'Brien) and his fellow Gladers battling the powerful organization W.C.K.D while facing the perils of the Scorch, a desolate landscape filled with dangerous obstacles. Filming began in Albuquerque, New Mexico on October 27, 2014, before officially concluding on January 27, 2015.

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials was released in select international territories starting September 9, 2015 in 2D, 3D, 4DX and Barco Escape, and is set to be released on September 18, 2015 in the United States by 20th Century Fox in 2D and Premium Large Format theaters. It was originally set to be released in IMAX but this was cancelled as Everest had all worldwide IMAX screens booked until the release of the film The Walk.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
More a series of repetitive action set pieces than an actual movie, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials is a somewhat regrettable step down from its surprisingly good predecessor. The action scenes are exciting and well choreographed, to be sure, but they kind of drone on and blend together. Not bad, but a significant step down from the first. C+

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:53 am
loyalfromlondon

scorchin' hot!

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:38 am
Extraordinary

I thought it was a pretty fun movie.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:38 pm
---------

The mystery and suspense served the first movie very well, but this loses both elements. Since the group never really had a solid idea of what they really wanted to do (since they know so little), it's harder to root for them to succeed.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:07 pm
Pure Phase

"I'm tired of running," says stalwart protagonist Thomas (Dylan O'Brien) near the end of Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. But this is an on-the-run franchise, and its perspiration is its finest attribute: to be honest, I am still fairly bored by the central mythology—a medley pivoting on a secretive international corporation with the helpful name of WCKD, a David-to-their-Goliath rebel army, and a chosen-one hero's journey—but Thomas and friends are always in flux, always unsure of their environment, always motivated by paranoia and a primal survival instinct.

The sequel opens after their escape from the perilous maze; they emerge to find a post-apocalyptic desert wasteland. The group is promptly rescued and spirited to an underground medical-military compound. There, survivors are chosen via lottery to go to a lush and safe promised land. Faster than anyone can say The Island, Thomas realizes the scenario is a deceitful facade, and they flee into the harsh, sprawling, and, it turns out, zombie-infested desert with soldiers in pursuit. This Mad Max-lite locale is not as novel as the maze, but compensation is provided by neat, creepy-for-a-PG-13 creature design and a slightly expanded scope. The youthful actors remain charismatic and function well as a unit, and a few veteran character players join in on the fun, including Barry Pepper, Lili Taylor, a campy Alan Tudyk, and most notably Aidan Gillen as an ultra-oily antagonist. And the film in general moves at a fast enough clip from set piece to set piece to distract from the boilerplate on which it is constructed.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:25 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I found this film, and its predecessor mostly entertaining, but I really don't know what's happening or understand the effort put into it all. Perhaps I'm completely missing the point, but the entire plot makes little to no sense to me.

Can anyone explain the reason to place, I don't know, hundreds of teens that could potentially provide a cure for the flare in a maze, where their lives are at risk? They're even creating the robo-insect creatures! If their bodies (blood) are so valuable, shouldn't they be treated a bit more kindly...

It all seems completely unnecessary. Surely, there's a better method of determining whether or not the teens are immune to the flare. They could start with simply having the subjects bitten to see if they become infected, yes?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Roughly on par with the first for me. I thought it was incredibly entertaining and thrilling, and I loved the addition of Rosa Salazar who is a much better love interest than Teresa. It also moves at an incredibly fast pace. I couldn't believe it was over two hours. I'm excited to see the final chapter. A-

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:43 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

Very exciting. But probably about 20 minutes too long. I don't know what it is about The Maze Runner series, but the action in these is far superior to every other YA film. Had a little touch of World War Z in it.

A-/B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:28 am
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
The action in these is far superior to every other YA film.

That's not exactly a high bar, considering how these franchises are not known for their action.

Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:49 pm
100% That Bitch

Great movie A-

The lead is hot af

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:29 am
Hold the door!

Wow, this was just awful. Like being in YA cliche hell. Since the characters have no memory of who they are, we don't know who they are, and it is impossible to feel for them. The desert was an uninteresting place to have the generic zombie creatures exist, and the whole film plays like a chase sequence where the main characters (Can they really be called that? More like story placeholders) run into group-of-characters-that-we-don't-care-about after another. The plot is nonsensical and impossible to follow, and actors like Giancarlo Esposito and Aiden Gillan are completely wasted. Insurgent pushed the Divergent series up a level; this film kills any and all momentum that the Maze Runner franchise had with the thrilling and mysterious original film. Waiting for The Death Cure won't be difficult at all.

D-

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:41 pm
Cream of the Crop

After the first movie in the series provided such a promising start, this one is almost a complete dud. *D*

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:18 am
Keeping it Light

I didn't write a review when I watched this a year and a half ago, but it's bad. Definitely a step down from the first, which really wasn't that good either, but the ending was interesting. This series has no glamour left.

D+

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:07 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah this was a big letdown from the original nothing in this movie flows naturally and when the action stops it comes to a halt. Dylan O'Brien still continues to be great here but the director fails to bring in a compelling story, even the reveals of zombies are not handled well. The villain is also very weak here.

B

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]