Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Get Hard 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
C 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Get Hard 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Get Hard
Get Hard

Quote:
Get Hard is an upcoming American comedy film directed by Etan Cohen (in his directorial debut) and written by Etan Cohen, Jay Martel and Ian Roberts. The film stars Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart, Alison Brie, Edwina Findley, and Craig T. Nelson. The film is set for a March 27, 2015 release.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: Get Hard
Incredibly stupid and filled with a lot of jokes that don't land, but the pairing of Ferrell and Hart is zany enough to give this one a pass. C+

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:15 pm
Extraordinary

Will Ferrell made me chuckle a couple of times. I didn't hate this but it's this kind of homophobic humor that really needs to leave mainstream comedy, and yet it's probably not as at my screening these jokes got the most reaction. blech.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:59 am
Forum General

It was ok. The homophobic/racist humor isn't nearly as bad as it's hyped up to be, but their are more than a few cheap laughs in this movie. I also liked the crazy dynamic between Hart/Ferrell more than I expected, but I found the interaction between Ferrell and T.I.'s gang far more interesting and hilarious. Part me just wishes those two were paired up instead, but whatever and what a random/pointless role for Craig T. Nelson. His presence in this movie reminded me so much of Laurence Fishburne's wasted potential in Ride Along, another mediocre Kevin Heart comedy.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:42 pm
Keeping it Light

This wasn't good. Ferrell, and Hart are pretty fun guys, but putting them together seems to take the worst out of them. The jokes all fall flat, and nothing one hasn't heard before. They go for the easiest, offensive and gross jokes they can think about. Not funny, you just realize immediately no creativity went into thinking any of this up. The start is a bit promising, but once Ferrell is convicted and the plot takes off, the movie goes down. It just becomes very bad overall, and I just graded this an F here at first, because I didn't want to reward anything about it. But that's in fact a bit too harsh, because there's worse movies out there that are still a level below this.

D

Tue May 19, 2015 12:50 pm
now we know

I smiled a few times, but I will only ever remember this film for of Alison Brie. Wow. She is tasty. She looks so different in motion than in images. Will Ferrell was his usual self. Funny? Eh, I guess sometimes. Kevin Hart is incomprehensible half the time, and the other half he's just shouting at the top of his voice like Eddie Murphy used to do. Typical black humour. All they seem to do is shout. It's just such a badly written film, and I imagine the producers thought they had a win on their hands when they paired Ferrell and Hart, but fortunately for the industry, people still require quality.

Good parts: Ferrell trying to pick a fight with guys in the park, and insulting them. The gay guy trying to chat up Kevin Hart. Those two parts were fun. The rest just pretty much stank.

The whole point of the film just seems like a cheap gimmick to turn stereotypes on their head. Oh, a black family man that has a clean record and doesn't know how to be a gangsta. Oh, a white collar, non-racist, rich Caucasian that isn't corrupt. It's just kind of lame. Although black people come out of this film rather well.

C-

PS: I got hard. I got hard for this...

Spoiler: show

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Get Hard

C-

PS: I got hard. I got hard for this...

Spoiler: show

NICE

Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:21 am
Superman: The Movie

It's okay, but considering both Ferrell and Hart are in it, it's just not good enough. It's as if the movie was made with that $7.99 bin you see at both Wal-Mart and Best Buy in mind. Or cable. I could easily see myself watching this again on TBS some Sunday afternoon. If they had just aimed a little higher.

And Alison Brie deserves better. Hopefully she'll get to shine in that movie she has coming out with Jason Sudekis.

**½ (C+)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Shockingly bad with only a few truly funny moments. D

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:00 pm
The Kramer

I was enjoying throughout most of the first half. Ferrell sells the character so damn well. My favorite bit was when it looked like he was countig hundreds to give to Hart, only to pull out the two single dollars that somehow made it into the money stack.

The movie drags the more the plot gets involved though. The dick sucking bit was truly unneeded and not at all funny. Scenes like that brought the movie down.

So Get Hard may not be a good movie, but Ferrell and super hot Alison Brie made it worth watching.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:58 pm
Hold the door!

The movie started out well enough, but as soon as they met the all those black people in the hood, it started to get boring. I could barely stay awake in the last 45 minutes. Hart and Ferrell are both good here, but they both deserve better.

I agree with Algren that Alison Brie is nothing special in photos, but really nice in this movie

First Half B

Second half F

Overall D+

Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:54 pm
Cream of the Crop

Get Hard was the last best comedy movie I saw. Crude, rude, and hilarious. It is a masterclass in dick jokes. *A+*

(Forbes, of all places, has the most insightful review of Get Hard.)

Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:48 am
Cream of the Crop

I'm looking forward to Holmes and Watson, the next film from Will Ferrell and Get Hard director Etan Cohen.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:15 am
Keeping it Light

tree and a half wrote:
Get Hard was the last best comedy movie I saw. Crude, rude, and hilarious. It is a masterclass in dick jokes. *A+*

(Forbes, of all places, has the most insightful review of Get Hard.)

I wouldn't hinge too much on that review coming from Forbes, and especially that guy Mark Hughes because he also thought; Justice League, Transformers: The Last Knight, Alien: Covenant and Snatched are all fresh.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:23 am
On autopilot for the summer

Did people expect a film called Get Hard to be good.

Sounds like a bad Vaudeville routine.

I have a prison movie with Will Farrell
Will Farrell do it?
Pharall Williams will do the music?
No Will Farrell, Get Hard
I know Hart, Kevin Hart will do anything. I'll totally get Hart.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]