Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Little Black Book 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Little Black Book 
College Boy Z

Post Little Black Book
Little Black Book

Quote:
Little Black Book is a 2004 satirical comedy film directed by Nick Hurran.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:04 pm
Superman: The Movie

The first 30 minutes or so are actually quite good, but the movie falls apart towards the end. I like everyone who is in Little Black Book, but this was just awful.

Here is a review I wrote over at Yahoo. Little Black Book

D- (3rd worst of 2004)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

LITTLE BLACK BOOK is a cute little fluffy movie you can watch on a raining Sunday afternoon. I really enjoyed watching it, and I'm proud that I own it.

7/10 (B-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

Little Black Book
looked like your average romantic comedy - nothing more, nothing less. It looked like it would be a decent rental. Not something I would have bothered seeing in theaters, which must be the same idea most people had seeing as it only grossed over 20 Million at the US Box Office. But boy was I wrong. What looked like a generic popcorn flick ended up being a smart and clever (dare I say original?) romantic comedy and one of the biggest surprises of the year for me. It's also one of the most underrated movies of the year. I never imagined I'd be saying that, but it's true.

Brittany Murphy was wonderful here and I didn't find her character annoying like some do for being snoopy and not trusting her boyfriend. It's human nature and most people in this situation would end up doing the same thing. It doesn't make you a bad person; it just makes you human. Even as she hurt people, like the sweet and cute Joyce (Julianne Nicholson), I still didn't hate her. That doesn't mean that I didn't feel bad for Joyce though, because I definitely did. I felt really bad for her and hated to see her get hurt. But Stacy (Murphy) felt bad too. She never thought she'd like her and that things would go as far as they did. I thought the character of Stacy was realistic and for the most part so was the movie. I really like Julianne Nicholson (Seeing Other People, Tully) and I loved her here. If people watching this movie haven't seen her in anything else before or just never noticed her, I think they'll definitely notice her here. She manages to steal most of the scenes she's in. And as usual, Holly Hunter was also great.

Little Black Book deserved more attention than it got, but judging from the previews who knew it would be THIS good? I certainly didn't. I'm just really happy that a lot more people are discovering it on video. It's a clever mainstream comedy that is a breath of fresh air for the genre and I definitely recommend it.

Grade: 8/10 (B+)

Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:19 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

LITTLE BLACK BOOK was one of my most anticipated films of summer 2004, mainly because I find Brittany Murphy to be a highly likable, adorable and talented actress. I was not disappointed. This romantic comedy doesn't take the easy way out, offering many unexpected twists and turns along the way. There are also some very good performances from all the leads. Give this underrated gem a chance. You won't be disappointed.

8/10 (A-)

Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:32 pm
Profile YIM
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

The third half of the movie is absolutely brilliant and suprisingly shocking, and the other two halfs are pretty decent. Good acting all around.

A-

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

The talk show hosted by Kathy Bates shows promise for a good satire, but Little Black Book squanders its opportunity to use it effectively by the end of the movie.

Brittany Murphy was slightly less jumpy than usual, but I thought she was miscast. The film also tries to do some bizarre "twist" by having Holly Hunter's character "backstab" Murphy (or whatever) for some completely asinine reason that makes no sense.

Meh. C-

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:05 pm
Teh Mexican

It was a good, Funny and very enjoyable movie

Brittany Murphy is going to turn out to be one of my Favorite Actresses, shes very cute and funny, ive actually enjoyde every movie she is on

B+

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:48 am
Veteran

LITTLE BLACK BOOK (2004)

Little Black Book
looked like your average romantic comedy - nothing more, nothing less. It looked like it would be a decent rental. Not something I would have bothered seeing in theaters, which must be the same idea most people had seeing as it only grossed over 20 Million at the US Box Office. But boy was I wrong. What looked like a generic popcorn flick ended up being a smart and clever (dare I say original?) romantic comedy and one of the biggest surprises of the year for me. It's also one of the most underrated movies of the year. I never imagined I'd be saying that, but it's true.

Brittany Murphy was wonderful here and I didn't find her character annoying like some do for being snoopy and not trusting her boyfriend. It's human nature and most people in this situation would end up doing the same thing. It doesn't make you a bad person; it just makes you human. Even as she hurt people, like the sweet and cute Joyce (Julianne Nicholson), I still didn't hate her. That doesn't mean that I didn't feel bad for Joyce though, because I definitely did. I felt really bad for her and hated to see her get hurt. But Stacy (Murphy) felt bad too. She never thought she'd like her and that things would go as far as they did. I thought the character of Stacy was realistic and for the most part so was the movie. I really like Julianne Nicholson (Seeing Other People, Tully) and I loved her here. If people watching this movie haven't seen her in anything else before or just never noticed her, I think they'll definitely notice her here. She manages to steal most of the scenes she's in. And as usual, Holly Hunter was also great.

Little Black Book deserved more attention than it got, but judging from the previews who knew it would be THIS good? I certainly didn't. I'm just really happy that a lot more people are discovering it on video. It's a clever mainstream comedy that is a breath of fresh air for the genre and I definitely recommend it.

Grade: 8/10 (B+)

Good review. I loved the movie, because she doesn't end up with Mr. Right Now, or Mr. Right there. It may not have been a great rom-com because you don't get your cliched happy ending, but it was a damn fine movie.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]