Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Against the Ropes 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Against the Ropes 
College Boy Z

Post Against the Ropes
Against the Ropes

Quote:
Against the Ropes is a 2004 drama movie. It stars Meg Ryan and Omar Epps and was directed by Charles S. Dutton, in his motion-picture directorial debut.

The story is a fictionalized account of the American boxing manager Jackie Kallen, who was the first woman to become a success in the sport. Luther Shaw most likely represents James Toney, a boxer whom Kallen managed to a title despite a rocky relationship.

Against the Ropes grossed less than $6 million in the US and was panned by critics, in part because of its resemblance to other boxing movies, such as the Rocky series. As with other such movies, its climax is a bout for the championship.

The film was shot primarily in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada at the Copps Coliseum.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:09 pm
Forum General

I missed AGAINST THE ROPES for the whole two minutes it was in theaters. I was waiting for it to come out, because I saw the trailer when it was first released, and it looked great. I got it from Netflix and loved it. Meg Ryan was amazing in it. AGAINST THE ROPES is really underrated and something I should buy for my collection.

9/10 (A-) ... this could change upon another viewing though, I saw this last year in July.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

This movie sucked, I just didn't like, it was likable, it had nothing good in it. D

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

AGAINST THE ROPES (2004)

Meg Ryan stepped away from the romantic comedy genre to do In The Cut and Against The Ropes, two movies that performed very disappointingly at the Box Office. While I was pretty disappointed in In The Cut (5/10 or C), Against The Ropes is an enjoyable crowd-pleaser that didn't deserve to do as poorly as it did. I love Meg, she's adorable and perfect in the romantic comedy genre, but I applaud her for trying other genres too. Sadly, the only movies of hers that seem to do well are her romantic comedies. She can certainly act, so it's too bad other movies of hers couldn't do well too. I really hope she can get a hit soon because she's in major need of one. I feel bad for her. She was on top, and now she's not far away from being labeled Box Office poison. She doesn't deserve this kind of misfortune. Really, Against The Ropes is the kind of feel-good girl power movie that you'd think she'd have success with. But that just wasn't the case in theaters. I think most people had the same idea as me and thought that it looked like it would be a good rental, but not like something to bother seeing in theaters.

Meg owns the screen here. She gives a very solid performance and is what makes the movie so enjoyable. Yeah, it's predictable, but it is based on a true story, so in order to make it unpredictable you'd have to lie.

Against The Ropes was pure entertainment that got more and more enjoyable as it went along. I'm looking forward to seeing more from Meg Ryan in the future and hope her next movie can be a hit.

Grade: 7/10 (B-)

Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:15 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was really enjoyable and entertaining! Very underrated.

7/10 ( B )

Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:27 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]