Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The Guest 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

The Guest 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Guest
The Guest

Quote:
The Guest is an American psychological thriller film, directed and edited by Adam Wingard, and written by Simon Barrett. The film stars Dan Stevens, Maika Monroe, Brendan Meyer and Lance Reddick. The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 17, 2014. Wingard and Barrett similarly worked together for their previous film You're Next. The film was released in the UK on September 5 and received a wide release on September 17, 2014.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Guest
This movie has an absolutely awesome, creative, slasher-esque finale that is set entirely in a Halloween-themed maze. That should be enough to get you to go see this in itself. This is definitely a movie that lives up to the hype and great reviews and is just as fun, unpredictable and entertaining as You're Next. I'm not a big fan of Dan Stevens but he's actually sensational here and delivers one of the year's best performances. And Maika Monroe is also likable and sympathetic as the final girl. It's consistently entertaining, surprising and I feel like spoiling some of the twists and crazy moments would be a disservice to those viewing it for the first time. Also, the soundtrack is incredible. I really think Adam Wingard should just direct every horror movie. I love these throwback films so much. Such a good time at the movies. This movie is destined to become a cult classic. Honestly, see it knowing as little about it as possible. A-

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:47 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

It's a cool and atmospheric thriller with an awesome soundtrack. It's very much in the vein of Universal Soldier. I so wanted to absolutely love this film, and although I like it very much, I just didn't get that immediate love for it like I did with, say, Drive. I loved Dan Stevens and Maika Monroe, and the MILFy mum (Sheila Kelley), and it was all going along nicely until the KPG got involved, then it heightened the film to something that I wasn't prepared for. But then it took it to another level with the house shootout and the Halloween dance, and that final shot is just awesome. It's technically competent but could have been better, and David was not as badass as I had hoped. Still, though, one of the best films of the year.

I just wish I hadn't seen it on my laptop. The sound wasn't great and I feel seeing it in the cinema would have made all the difference.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

The last 20 minutes really brought it down for me. The finale is so anticlimactic and this really didn't need a sequel bait ending.

I was digging the first half a lot though. Dan Steven's is a badass and while his performance may not be on par with Goslings from Drive I enjoyed watching his character dish out the beatings especially on those teenage assholes in the bar.

I didn't mind the actors who played the family either, but outside of the girl and her brother I could care less for the dopey mom and the alcoholic dumbass of a father.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:36 pm
now we know

Dil wrote:
I enjoyed watching his character dish out the beatings especially on those teenage assholes in the bar.
For me, that was actually disappointing how that played out. Not bad ass at all.

Dil wrote:
I could care less for the dopey mom and the alcoholic dumbass of a father.

So the parents were you favourite characters? ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

This was a pleasant surprise. Dan Stevens is very good here and loved the build up and mystery surrounding his characters motives. The final scene in the maze was great though I didn't quite like the final shot of the film.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:59 am
Pure Phase

An absurd, very fun film defined by its improbable fusion of Bourne Identity paranoia and retro fright-film ambiance. It has two highlights: Dan Stevens' perfectly calibrated performance, always lacing his character's earnest exterior (a yes-sir-no-sir big-brother figure with a heart of gold) with tantalizing hints of sexual menace and a barely restrained tendency toward physical violence, and an inspired third-act chase sequence set in a misty, vividly colored Halloween-themed maze. To be honest, though, I thought the film in general could have turned the dial even further toward eleven in regard to general lunacy and violence. It seems slightly guarded, slightly too low-key, despite its obviously lurid pulp instincts.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:31 pm
now we know

David wrote:
To be honest, though, I thought the film in general could have turned the dial even further toward eleven in regard to general lunacy and violence. It seems slightly guarded, slightly too low-key, despite its obviously lurid pulp instincts.

B+

Nailed it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:08 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

accommodating

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:25 am
Wallflower

Probably the most entertaining movie of 2014. Dan Stevens is so fucking cool in this. The movie is just so fun with an absolutely awesome soundtrack and nice Halloween atmosphere. Loved the finale in the school maze.

This should have been a wide release. A shame it's flying under the radar. Such a cool movie. I'm really glad it lived up the hype. Well-worth the blind buy even at $22.99. I rarely blind buy movies and not at such a steep price. Can't even remember the last time I did that. But this one really paid off.

9/10 (A)

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:22 am
Wallflower

Dil wrote:
The last 20 minutes really brought it down for me. The finale is so anticlimactic and this really didn't need a sequel bait ending.

But this is an homage to the movies that always had those endings. Stevens is essentially the Terminator or Michael Meyers. Why wouldn't they have a sequel-bait ending? Really doesn't bring it down at all. I thought it was kind of cool personally even if it was predictable. Just a fun wink at the audience.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:25 am
now we know

No Terminator movie had a sequel-bait ending.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

You might be able to argue the first did, with Sarah Connor warning of a coming storm and driving into an uncertain future. But they definitely never went for a the-hand-pops-through-the-rubble-cut-to-black type of sequel-teasing ending.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:28 am
Wallflower

Algren wrote:
No Terminator movie had a sequel-bait ending.

Ok, maybe not a "sequel-bait" ending but every Terminator movie I've seen (only the first three) has been left open to continue. But yeah I suppose The Guest was more akin to Halloween, Friday The 13th, or any other 80's slasher in its ending.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:46 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

My grade has definitely gone up. This is one of the most entertaining and rewatchable films in years. Such a blast. So glad I was able to see it theatrically.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:33 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

This should be a Halloween staple :P It so perfectly evokes the mood of the holiday.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:49 pm
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

B+

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:07 am
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
This should be a Halloween staple :P It so perfectly evokes the mood of the holiday.

Agreed.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]