Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 The Interview 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
C 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

The Interview 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Interview
The Interview

Quote:
The Interview is a 2014 American political comedy film directed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg in their second directorial work, following This Is the End. The screenplay by Dan Sterling is from a story by Rogen, Goldberg and Sterling. The film stars Rogen and James Franco as journalists instructed to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un (played by Randall Park) after booking an interview with him. It received mixed reviews from critics.

The film received attention for its negative portrayal of Kim Jong-un. In June 2014, threats of "merciless" action against the United States were made if its distributor, Columbia Pictures, went ahead with the film's release. Columbia delayed the planned October 10, 2014 release to December 25, reportedly to make the film more acceptable to North Korea. In November 2014, the computer systems of parent company Sony Pictures Entertainment were hacked by a group that the FBI believes has ties to North Korea. After leaking several other then-upcoming Sony films and other sensitive internal information, the group demanded that Sony pull The Interview, which it referred to as "the movie of terrorism".

On December 16, 2014, the group threatened to carry out terrorist attacks against cinemas that played The Interview, making allusions to the September 11 attacks, and specifically referencing the film by name. In response to the threats, Rogen and Franco canceled a series of promotional appearances for the film, and Sony pulled its television advertising. On December 17, 2014, after a number of major North American cinema chains pulled the film in the interests of safety, Sony canceled the theatrical release of The Interview, and stated that it had "no further" plans to release the film. However, Sony announced on December 23, 2014 that The Interview would premiere in a limited release at selected cinemas on December 25.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: The Interview
A

Yeah, this is very politically incorrect and for that extremely hilarious. I know some will hate it. It will split audiences like crazy (same happened at my press screening too), but I loved it. The mixture of low-brow-humor, clever satire and tiny bits of painful realism can get uncomfortably awkward at time,s but I rolled with it. Seth Rogen plays more of a straight man here, so it is up to James Franco to steal the show as a complete buffoon. Randall Park knocks it out of the ballpark as Kim Jong-un and the film features the best use of a Katy Perry song you'll probably ever see on film.

Oh and Lizzy Caplan doesn't get much to do, but she is mad hot.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

It doesn't live up to the inflated hype surrounding the infamous Sony hack, but The Interview is a pretty solid comedy. The fact that the controversy is as intense as it has been speaks more toward its target's sensitivity than the actual content. Even though the film makes fun of a dangerous world leader and does become gleefully violent in its third act, it feels tame relative to the grossout antics of Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's previous film, This Is the End. Nevertheless, it does have fun with its premise, and Rogen and James Franco are once again an appealing comedic team. However, it's the lesser-known co-stars Randall Park and Diana Bang who frequently steal the film. Park's performance as Kim Jong-Un is actually more impressive and complex than it may initially appear, given that he's playing a master manipulator and his character has some emotional depth that must be hidden from the people who revere him, and Bang scores some of the film's biggest laughs with a wry comedic delivery to match (and at times exceed) that of her co-stars. I suspect that quite a few viewers will come away from the film disappointed that it's not some comedic revelation, but that's really more the doing of events beyond the filmmakers' control; sans the hype, it's a satisfyingly funny comedy.

B

Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:33 pm
Pure Phase

This naughty "satire" could never live up to the controversy and debate encircling its release. North Korea! The United States! Freedom of speech! A global corporation brought to its knees! Release canceled! Release reinstated! The president weighs in at eleven! Sadly, it also falls well short of such films as Pineapple Express and This Is the End. Simply put, no one involved here is at their best. As everyone knows, the storyline turns on a sensationalist television host (James Franco) and his producer (Seth Rogen). When they are given the improbable chance to travel to the reclusive country of North Korea to interview its enigmatic and widely despised Supreme Leader, Kim Jong-un (a game Randall Park), the CIA enlists them to assassinate Kim. Now and then, The Interview springs to life. One major highlight is a second-act day of male bonding shared by Kim and the Franco character. Another involves a Korean henchman with a curious penchant for biting people's fingers. Enormous laughs are relatively infrequent, though, sadly. I often recognized the presence and intent of a gag or one-liner, but did not find it particularly amusing. The jabs at human-rights abuses in North Korea are welcome, but far too juvenile and nonspecific for the film to qualify as political in any productive way. And the previously fantastic chemistry between Franco and Rogen is miscalculated here. Rogen is so significantly dialed down as to almost become an afterthought in his own film, and this leaves Franco to compensate. Or overcompensate, as it were. He swings madly for the fences, resulting in a colorful, loud, profane, and ultimately overbearing performance.

C+, maybe a C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:30 pm
Forum General

Well I thought this was pretty awesome. Maybe not as good as PE or TITE, but in a year full of mediocre R-rated comedies outside of 22 Jump Street this is definitely my second favorite. It's not constantly laugh out loud funny, but it has it's moments and I loved the ridiculous QT level of violence in the third act.

The guy who played Kim Jong-Un killed it and the cute Asian chick was hilarious aswell. Rogen and Franco were as fun to watch as usual eventhough Rogen does hold back a bit. I thought it was somewhat refreshing seeing him as the straight guy instead of it predictably being Franco.

Also, Lecter is right that this easily has the best use of a Katy Perry song ever :funny:.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:59 pm
Extraordinary

best scene in the movie is James Franco holding fake grapefruits yelling "LIAR!" to a huge portrait of Kim.

I thought it was amusing. I bet the section in the control room during the interview is going to be the one with the most reaction in theaters, it's too bad that won't be how many see the film.

Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:57 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I had low, low expectations but actually found this fairly amusing with some laugh-out-loud moments. It's kind of a mess and the whole thing is incredibly stupid, but it's harmless fun. It's baffling it caused so much controversy. B/B-

Lizzy Caplan is horribly underused in this though, which was disappointing.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:17 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

A fun movie that could have been so much better. The first half was funny and entertaining, but as with this style of comedy the second half was almost a bore. Franco is awesome. Rogen is ok. The Korean chick is sexy as fuck. I feel the comedy wasn't as hard as it could been despite having some good digs at North Korea. They could have ripped the piss out of Kim Jong-Un and his father's legacy more. I feel they focused on the son too much (who isn't the one responsible for the country's bad state). Nothing much else to say. Glad I've seen it because of the controversy, but as with all things like this, it's never as good as they make out.

B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I finally got around to watching this last night. It was fine, if unspectacular and pretty by the numbers. Franco and Rogan are very good in it. The issue is that is just isn't very funny. It has it's moments for sure but it certainly isn't as funny as I expected it to be. Still, it was fairly entertaining and the time went by quickly.

B-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Grill

I thought it was quite hilarious. Exceeded my expectations (although they were lowered a bit after some reviews). I thought Randal Park definitely stole the show as Kim Jong Un portraying a somewhat sympathetic crazy pants. Other than some pacing issues I think the comedy and chemistry between Rogen and Franco is as strong as ever. I would put it up there with Pineapple and This is the End.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:38 am
The Kramer

While I liked This Is The End, it was very funny, I felt it was missing something. Maybe a more experienced director could have taken it from good to great. Much like what Nicholas Stoller did with Neighbors earlier in this year. So seeing Seth and Evan take on an even bigger project had me a little bit worried. Luckily, they have improved greatly, actually directing instead of just supervising, keeping things focused and moving forward

The huge laughs come in a few key sequences. The opening interview with Eminem sets the tone, and I'm so glad the advertisements didn't spoil this one, as it was much more hilarious than any of the other Skylark Tonight bits. Franco's face is priceless here, as is Rogen and the crew freaking out. Topped off with a great visual gag "Hector's Rectum Is Real". So many of Franco's are fantastic too, even if they take a second to kick in. When it's mentioned that it's impossible to get into North Korea, Franco counters by saying he got into a club with a three month waiting list. "This isn't the same" "I don't know, there were a lot of asian chicks there." :funny: And these are just littered throughout the movie. Franco is MVP here IMO. Seth gets plenty to do as well, performing his standout scene with a real tiger.

Yet what elevates this above a normal comedy is Kim Jong Un, the heart of the film. Even though they're honeydicking each other, the bond formed between Dave and Kim Jong is real and very sweet. Even when we see his true side (damn fake grapefruits!) , he still somehow comes off as a sympathetic character trying to prove his manliness to his dead father. Using "Firework" as a the key moment in the film could have been very corny, but instead is wonderful because of how well it is set up. The Interview is very similar to Neighbors in this way, who also didn't have to take time to make the fratboys sympathetic. These are people the audience is ready to root against, and plenty of easy comedy could come from that. So bravo to Neighbors and The Interview. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are on fire in 2014. I can't wait for Sausage Party!

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:44 am
now we know

The best bit for me is:

Reporter: Yo Skylark, which side of President Kim's ass you gonna kiss?
Skylark: I'm not gonna kiss them, but let's just say I might give him something special with my hand.
Reporter: You gonna jerk him off?
Skylark: What? No...that's a double entendre!!

I LOL'd very loudly at that part.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:20 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

What a nice surprise this movie was. I thought it was hilarious all the way through and while Franco was a tad over the top a few times, he constantly made me laugh. Funniest movie 2014.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:14 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Thiswas awesome.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:58 pm
loyalfromlondon

best use of katy perry in anything

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:45 pm
Superman: The Movie

It'd be the funniest movie of last year if it weren't for Alan Partridge.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:17 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Magnus wrote:
trixster wrote:
best use of katy perry in anything

Must have forgot Rust and Bones usage of "Fireworks"

Nope, this is better

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:48 am
Hold the door!

This was never as funny as I hoped it would be, but it was decent enough I guess. Very overlong; I was very much ready for it to end much faster than it did. I preferred Horrible Bosses 2 in terms of poorly reviewed holiday comedies that didn't do hot at the box office.

C+

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:15 am
Hold the door!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
The film features the best use of a Katy Perry song you'll probably ever see on film.

LOL, no this is miles better.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]