Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 If I Stay 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

If I Stay 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post If I Stay
If I Stay

Quote:
If I Stay is an upcoming American drama film directed by R. J. Cutler, based on the novel of the same name by Gayle Forman. The film stars Chloë Grace Moretz, Mireille Enos, Joshua Leonard, Stacy Keach, Jamie Blackley, and Aisha Hinds. It is set to be released on August 22, 2014.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:48 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: If I Stay
zzz

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:25 pm
Forum General

It is almost embarrassing for me to say because of how much I wasn't looking forward to this but it was actually a great movie. It isn't a new story at all but the central love story is beautiful and incredibly realistic. The performances all around are great with Chloë Moretz being the obvious standout. The movie isn't perfect, I could have done without the narration and a couple of the scenes where Mia is watching her friends/family while she is in a coma rang a bit false. Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the ending. Only because it was abrupt and I wanted more but I imagine that is how the book ended. Still though, this was great and I prefer it to The Fault in Our Stars. Incredibly underrated, I hope more people here see it.

B+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

If I Stay is overly sappy and takes itself too seriously, but lead actress Chloe Grace Moretz gives a strong, affecting performance and the film manages to stay fairly involving throughout. B-

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:52 am
100% That Bitch

It's on par with Fault in our Stars.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:33 pm
Forum General

Mau wrote:
It's on par with Fault in our Stars.

:thumbsup: The bad reviews honestly surprise me.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

I prefer "The Fault In Our Stars." That was more entertaining with a more involving romance. But this was still pretty solid. I definitely liked it. It was better than expected and Moretz was really good. There were some nice moments in this. Really liked the part where she reflects on her favorite day.

7/10 ( B )

Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:53 am
Pure Phase

One snowy morning, shy and talented cellist Mia Hall (Chloë Grace Moretz) is in a car crash with her father, mother, and brother. Her parents both die. She rouses on the roadside in a type of spiritual grey zone, observing from a few feet away as paramedics treat her bloodied and bruised physical self before spiriting her to the hospital in an ambulance. A nurse whispers a declaration of dubious medical value in her ear: it is Mia's choice whether she lives and comes out of her coma or slips away into death. It is an intriguing, yet also fairly corny scenario, but, in a surprise twist, If I Stay as a film rises above it. Part of the reason for this is a non-chronological structure emphasizing Mia's past, including her close relationship with her parents (both down-to-earth former hipsters gone soft and suburban) and her profound, tempestuous love with an ambitious local singer and guitarist. Set in scenic, overcast Portland—the stomping ground of, among others, Gus Van Sant and the Shins—the film unfolds first and foremost as a delicate and touching story of teenage love and adolescent indecision, and it is grounded by the elegant and humane performances delivered by both the youthful stars and the veterans of the ensemble, including the always welcome Stacy Keach as Mia's grandfather, tearing into a pained monologue by her hospital bedside. It is relatively easy then to invest in the charismatic characters and their intimate world. So, by extension, I found myself interested after all in the outcome of the farfetched supernatural framing device.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:58 am
We had our time together

I didn't liked it at all. I usually enjoy Moretz very much but she was very hit & miss in this one. The whole movie feels like something you've seen a thousand times before.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:03 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I mean, I enjoyed it. Chloe is pretty darn good, and the whole cast was enjoyable. But I think they way they edited it made it hard for me to emotionally invest. Because I did tear up at the end, but not as much as I should have.

B?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:50 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Moretz continues to show she is a solid actress for her age and while the film isn't as gripping as it is made out to be, it is still fairly accessible and a simple watch.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

David wrote:
One snowy morning, shy and talented cellist Mia Hall (Chloë Grace Moretz) is in a car crash with her father, mother, and brother. Her parents both die. She rouses on the roadside in a type of spiritual grey zone, observing from a few feet away as paramedics treat her bloodied and bruised physical self before spiriting her to the hospital in an ambulance. A nurse whispers a declaration of dubious medical value in her ear: it is Mia's choice whether she lives and comes out of her coma or slips away into death. It is an intriguing, yet also fairly corny scenario, but, in a surprise twist, If I Stay as a film rises above it. Part of the reason for this is a non-chronological structure emphasizing Mia's past, including her close relationship with her parents (both down-to-earth former hipsters gone soft and suburban) and her profound, tempestuous love with an ambitious local singer and guitarist. Set in scenic, overcast Portland—the stomping ground of, among others, Gus Van Sant and the Shins—the film unfolds first and foremost as a delicate and touching story of teenage love and adolescent indecision, and it is grounded by the elegant and humane performances delivered by both the youthful stars and the veterans of the ensemble, including the always welcome Stacy Keach as Mia's grandfather, tearing into a pained monologue by her hospital bedside. It is relatively easy then to invest in the charismatic characters and their intimate world. So, by extension, I found myself interested after all in the outcome of the farfetched supernatural framing device.

B+

I mostly concur with this. I'm not docking it for the framing device though. My two favorite scenes are the previously mentioned scene at her bedside with the grandfather, which really worked well, and also her flashback to her favorite day. The movie moved me and kept me interested all the way through.

A-

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]