Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Raid 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

The Raid 2 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Raid 2
The Raid 2

Quote:
The Raid 2: Berandal (also known as The Raid 2) is an Indonesian action film directed by Gareth Evans; it is a sequel to the 2012 hit The Raid: Redemption and was announced in 2011. The film has a release date of March 28, 2014.

Iko Uwais will reprise his role as Rama. In addition, the film stars Alex Abbad, Julie Estelle, Tio Pakusadewo, Arifin Putra, Oka Antara, and Cecep A. Rahman. Japanese actors Ryuhei Matsuda, Kenichi Endo and Kazuki Kitamura are also joining the film.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Post Re: The Raid 2
Saw this at Sundance a few weeks ago. I had mixed feelings on the first film (which I didn't see until after I got a ticket to this), but I think this sequel is simultaneously a lot clunkier (it's basically a crime saga, and 50 minutes longer than the first) and a lot stronger than the first film thanks to the insanity of the action. I wrote up some more thoughts here.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I'm very excited about this. Really hoping that it opens in more cities than NY/LA on the first weekend.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:17 pm
Where will you be?

Quick thoughts:
1. Holy shit @ the action. Truly next level. The prison riot that Jon describes in his review has the visual panache of a live action Superjail segment. As impressive as the first Raid was, you can tell the filmmakers are actively and consistently attempting to top themselves.
2. The epic scope of the film probably benefits the action sequences more than the overall story. By allowing for character development and motivation each action sequence actually resonates because the sequence is deeply based on character motivations. On the other hand it's easy to reflect on how many of these sequences serve little other purpose, but...
3. The film's understanding of contrast between shot composition deserves to be celebrated. Not just the kinetic action beats but also the contrasting wide angles. By opening and closing many sequences with these majestic panoramas, there's a continual clarity of geography and a stronger appreciation for the claustrophobic close ups in the tensest scenes.
4. The Raid 2 is really, really fucking violent. I'm a big fan of active crowds so I surprised myself when I felt repulsed by how gleefully the midnight crowd at South by Southwest responded to the numerous bone crunches and head smashes. Don't get me wrong, it's why people watch a movie like this and the action is glorious. I saw the first Raid in an empty theater opening night so it was great to have an active crowd but at times I felt like I was in a gladiator arena. I know this won't apply to most people but for anyone paying attention to the broad plot (SPOILER ALERT) the central character abandons his mission to compile evidence against corruption in favor of just beating everyone to death. Maybe that's the point and I'm getting upset at a dog for barking but I do think that it represents how the epic crime sage story does feel like an excuse to tie together a diverse collection of admittedly incredible action sequences.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:52 pm
Pure Phase

Only MovieDude goes to a midnight festival screening of a martial-arts film and acts the bitch when other moviegoers get pumped and into the over-the-top action. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 pm
Where will you be?

David wrote:
Only MovieDude goes to a midnight festival screening of a martial-arts film and acts the bitch when other moviegoers get pumped and into the over-the-top action. ;)

For me it's twofold. First that I used to get that pumped for over-the-top action and so the roaring audience made me reflect on my own blood lust. I recognize and embrace the euphoria of watching so much ass-kicking. It really is a high and I definitely yelled "Ooooooh!" more than once with the crowd. The second issue, and this is one that I know actively makes it difficult to enjoy action movies as much as I used to, is that I've become really curious about studying the nature of cinematic violence and how desensitizing audience to violence on-screen also makes us desensitized to say, state-sanctioned violence abroad. I totally acknowledge that it's counter-intuitive and not the ideal lens to watch this cascade of mega violence but it's really hard for me to remove that critical lens. Kinda like feeling guilty about eating a chicken-fried steak while simultaneously loving the deep-fried flavor.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:10 pm
Pure Phase

When it comes to screen violence, you are a whore trying to be the Madonna.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:15 pm
Where will you be?

David wrote:
When it comes to screen violence, you are a whore trying to be the Madonna.

I hate that I love it. And The Raid 2 is like base-lining ten films worth of stabbings, joint dislocations and skull smashing.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:20 pm
Extraordinary

Provided one of my favorite audience moments: my girlfriend giggling madly with anticipation as Rama stepped up to face Hammer Girl and Baseball Guy.

So, so, so, so, so good.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:58 pm
The Incredible Hulk

The last 45 minutes are so amazeballs.

When I first saw Yayan Ruhian I was like "nooooo wayyyyy"... then I realized they recast him as a different character.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

I don't post my full reviews here very often, but I'll do it here:

The new leading brand in action cinema, The Raid series of films glow under director Garreth Evans' eye for carnage and sufficient but loosely emphasized narratives, illuminating an avatar of the towering testosterone that movies provide.

This time 'round, the film's story seems to borrow more from Departed than Die Hard, forming a sprawling crime saga over a claustrophobic towering inferno. The setup therein allows for a greater medley of set pieces and effectively prevents this movie from feeling like simply meat and rehashed browns. But with this comes more concern for the inner-networkings of the crime organizations than what the audience necessarily needs - the second act feels somewhat bloated due to these red herrings.

This is the only newfound ambition within The Raid 2: Bernadal that might be a tad misguided - and even then, opting for slow burn rather than streamline might have made the third act that much more thirst-quenching. The unforgettable moments, a list including a Shawshank-on-steroids mudfight towards the beginning and virtually everything in the last 45 minutes - surely denote pure, fluid, visceral filmmaking that tops what blew people away the last time 'round.

7.5/10 (B)

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

10/10. A+. Best movie since Scott Pilgrim.

"He's already here. He's coming up."

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! We need a Yes! emoticon with the fingers. Its the only way I can describe my feelings for this movie.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:35 am
Pure Phase

On each conceivable level, The Raid 2 is an example of a second film done right. The first Raid, a sleeper hit in the United States, introduced its protagonist, Rama, as an earnest Indonesian policeman, one of only a few to survive the storming of an enormous apartment building run by a crime kingpin and populated by the city's most desperate and volatile citizens. Though it may have verged on exhausting, The Raid: Redemption is an admirable film which left no stone unturned in exploiting its limited concept (20 cops, a legion of foes, traveling through the building from floor to floor) and featured several awe-inspiring, well-choreographed set pieces. The new film, though, matches the first in regard to rip-roaring stunts and spectacle (it is not hard to imagine nerdy conversations regarding which fight is the most exciting or most vicious), but places the action sequences in the more ambitious and involving context of an organized-crime saga in the stylistic and thematic vein of Infernal Affairs, with Rama going undercover in an Indonesian crime syndicate on the eve of citywide gang warfare, enduring years of separation from his wife and child to serve the public. It is a neat and rousing gambit which undermines the notion even a very fine martial-arts film will almost surely fall short in non-punching, non-kicking, non-jugular-severing departments such as character development and nuanced storytelling. Definitely not so here.

A-

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:56 pm
The Kramer

I thought it did a really great of building its large cast. You mention Infernal Affairs, a fine movie, yet one where I had a very hard time telling the characters apart. I never had that problem with The Raid 2. All the main players are easily distinguishable from each other, helped by their signature weapons or different ethnicities.

Best fight scenes

1. In the car
2. vs Hookblade (about a quarter of my audience started clapping when Rama beat him)
3. vs Hammer Girl and Baseball Bat Man

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:58 pm
Pure Phase

If The Raid becomes a more sprawling franchise, I would not object to a prequel focused on the hit-man vagrant played by Yayan "Mad Dog" Ruhian. His scenes here are great, almost functioning as a movie-within-a-movie.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:34 pm
The Kramer

I'll second that. Was I the only one who thought he was The RZA at first?

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:22 pm
loyalfromlondon

quite a step up over the first

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:54 pm
Extraordinary

RAID 2

I loved this film from start to finish. It had elements from a variety of films imo that helped make this film a great action film with a plot/story that doesn't bore you. The slow build and even when I say slow it wasn't slow as in boring. It was slow in that it peppered magnificently choreographed and filmed action sequences with enough time inbetween them to forward the story without being a bore. First, I enjoyed the acting in the film. The principals were great. The dialogue and interaction between the actors kept me glued and the moments of human interest were not distracting nor cheesy as it can be in some action films. Essentially, the family doesn't get in the way of the story. Subtitles were no issue.

The action is where it's at in the film. It's probably the best action fight sequences I've seen in a very long time. I don't think this is case of the flavor of the month type stuff. The film had hand to hand, weapons, gun play, car sequence and they were all great. In terms of the car chase Matrix 2 came to mind. It's on par with that. The fight sequence with the final 3 goons reminded me of Kill Bill vol 1. The gun play brought Dredd and the recent Sabotage to mind (Sabotage's only good quality).

Finally, what helped the film immensely was also the soundtrack and
the use of sound effects. It greatly enhanced the film. Like, I thought Only God Forgives had a great soundtrack but combined with that boring film it became a throwaway use of music. Here however it enhances scenes and keeps the story flowing and the sound effects themselves with the fight sequences was superb. That bat!

I wish this film was being seen by more people here in the States. Folks who like great, gritty violent action are definitely missing out by skipping this film either because of the subtitles or they just don't know about it due to lack of promotion. I look forward to adding this film my library and I'll be watching this again in theatres.

Grade - A+

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 am
Forum General

Fuck this was AWESOME! I still prefer the first movie, but there are more than a few badass action sequences that come close to topping it.

The last act especially, is pretty incredible with the car chase/hallway fight/kitchen fight.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:36 pm
We had our time together

Magnus wrote:
As a crime drama its medicore but as an action film, its one of the best you'll see in recent memory.

That sums it up for me.

I had an incredible time watching this. So badass. Gotta watch the first one again now.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:58 am
Profile WWW
now we know

This is the film that the first, despite what people say, couldn't live up to. The sequel provides more in the way of expertly choreographed hand-to-hand combat and bloody deaths, but it also delves into the criminal underworld where Rama destroys one faction from within. Let's not beat around the bush; Berandal is still a film solely about fighting. It's only purpose is to exhibit its flair and creativity in the field of martial arts and gore, and to give action fans worldwide the experience that multiple other franchises have failed to do (The Expendables included). But this sequel is fantastic. It's a 2hr and 30min action feast, and while it starts slow (the prison fights were crap, in my opinion), it improves with each set piece until the end where it hits masterpiece level. Mixing score, narrative and choreography to produce some breath-taking one-on-ones, very much in the spirit of computer games. Each level's villain has its own specialty. The baseball bat dude, the dual hammer girl, and the dual fish knife bozo; it's just superb. Each of those end fights is utterly exhausting to watch, and afterwards you feel like you've been part of the battle.

But this film doesn't just concentrate on the violence. Gareth Evans is a true filmmaker at heart, and there are many angles and shots that a contemporary movie would not employ. Berandal would be perfect if the score was given more attention (apart from just at the end) and the choreography was perfected to remove the waiting opponents (I spotted this a few times, which unfortunately is the downfall with these types of films). I adored the fact that it resembles Infernal Affairs (one of my favourite HK films), but the film never reaches the level of espionage and mystery that Mak and Lau created. In fact, it's unashamedly shallow in this area despite bloating the runtime to epic proportions. This is compensated by the deliciously addictive violence, of course, but it's nonetheless an issue.

Evans mixes the newfound appreciation for martial arts (reintroduced by Ong Bak) with the plot of Infernal Affairs and the violence of The Killer to produce a perfect martial arts fiesta for our generation.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:25 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Aww, I love the prison riot scene. They do such a great job editing, making several shots seem like one long one. Plus Rama slipping through the mud while trying to save Uco while also fighting everyone in between was awesome and hilarious.

I do agree that watching henchmen wait around to get their asses kicked is annoying, but as you said, it's just a part of the martial arts genre.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:34 pm
You must have big rats

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
The Raid 2: Berandal

This is the film that the first, despite what people say, couldn't live up to. The sequel provides more in the way of expertly choreographed hand-to-hand combat and bloody deaths, but it also delves into the criminal underworld where Rama destroys one faction from within. Let's not beat around the bush; Berandal is still a film solely about fighting. It's only purpose is to exhibit its flair and creativity in the field of martial arts and gore, and to give action fans worldwide the experience that multiple other franchises have failed to do (The Expendables included). But this sequel is fantastic. It's a 2hr and 30min action feast, and while it starts slow (the prison fights were crap, in my opinion), it improves with each set piece until the end where it hits masterpiece level. Mixing score, narrative and choreography to produce some breath-taking one-on-ones, very much in the spirit of computer games. Each level's villain has its own specialty. The baseball bat dude, the dual hammer girl, and the dual fish knife bozo; it's just superb. Each of those end fights is utterly exhausting to watch, and afterwards you feel like you've been part of the battle.

But this film doesn't just concentrate on the violence. Gareth Evans is a true filmmaker at heart, and there are many angles and shots that a contemporary movie would not employ. Berandal would be perfect if the score was given more attention (apart from just at the end) and the choreography was perfected to remove the waiting opponents (I spotted this a few times, which unfortunately is the downfall with these types of films). I adored the fact that it resembles Infernal Affairs (one of my favourite HK films), but the film never reaches the level of espionage and mystery that Mak and Lau created. In fact, it's unashamedly shallow in this area despite bloating the runtime to epic proportions. This is compensated by the deliciously addictive violence, of course, but it's nonetheless an issue.

Evans mixes the newfound appreciation for martial arts (reintroduced by Ong Bak) with the plot of Infernal Affairs and the violence of The Killer to produce a perfect martial arts fiesta for our generation.

A

I agree with you word-for-word, but my grade is lower because of the same criticisms you have mentioned. It's a B+. When the action is on, it is amazing, but I didn't enjoy when it tried to be Infernal Affairs because it simply wasn't as good. The acting wasn't as good, the dialogues weren't as good and it was as clever as it hoped to be. If it had just been an unabashed action fun, it would have been perfect because the running time would have been down to two hours or so. Instead it bloats the running time, by trying to emulate a much better film (plot-wise), instead of sticking to what it does best.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

So we agree! ;)

Lecter, do you want a third?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Yeah. There will be a third, anyway, Evans said.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next