Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

Quote:
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues is a 2013 American comedy film, and the sequel to the 2004 film Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. As with the original film, it is directed by Adam McKay, produced by Judd Apatow, written by McKay and Will Ferrell, and features Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, David Koechner, Christina Applegate, Vince Vaughn, Fred Willard, Chris Parnell, and Luke Wilson reprising their roles from the first film. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues is distributed by Paramount Pictures. The film is scheduled to be released on December 18, 2013.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Post Re: Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
Cotillard has a cameo in this?

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

How is Jim Carrey's cameo? Special or particularly amusing in any way?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am
On autopilot for the summer

Magnus wrote:
None of the cameos are particularly great individually but the collective whole of all those people together in one scene is amusing to see.

Spoiler: show
I think Ford's and JCR definitely were hilarious in their brief roles. Cohen, Smith, West, and Neeson are probably the biggest busts. Everyone else has at least one funny moment though

I loved it, basically found myself laughing the whole time, with a few times being just downright hilarious. Marsden and Kinnear were my favorite editions to the cast. I think much like the first one, this will grow as well. I found this to be extremely quotable as well. As far as Sequels go, Anchorman 2 is on the Austin Powers 2, Naked Gun 2 1/2 side of comedy sequels.

A

PS, all this time through the trailers and such I thought Ed Helms was their producer. When Dylan Baker took the glasses off, I was like wow.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:16 pm
Superman: The Movie

Give credit where credit is due; even though it follows the same beats as the original film (climactic battle and all), Ferrell and McKay have thrown everything but the kitchen sink into the sequel. Is it going to work for everyone? Judging by the silence in my theater during the last 30 minutes I'd say no, but I admire that they didn't just sit back and rest on these characters laurels. Ferrell and McKay tried to notch Anchorman up to 11. Does it succeed? For the most part yes, but keep your expectations in check if you regard the first as a classic.

(A-)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The final cut dropped one of my favorite scenes (a full-on song and dance number called "If I Were Gay") and included all of the bits that slowed the film to a crawl (the blindness tangent, the Kristen Wiig subplot). This was 25 minutes shorter, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. I was hoping for quite a bit more tightening in the released version.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:47 am
Extraordinary

Surreal and heartfelt.

8 out of 5.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:32 am

They weren't going to cut out Kristen Wiig.

I thought the blind tangent was random, but pretty hilarious. Especially the complete loss of other senses, and DOBY!

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:28 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Like the first Anchorman, I'll probably enjoy it even more on repeat viewings but this is a darn good sequel which holds plenty of laughs.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

This was GREAT! 2 stand outs were:

1. Harrison Ford: I killed four men in Okinawa
Ron: Dubya Dubya two
Harrison Ford: four weeks ago...

2. During car chase, the bottom line ticker:
"Surfer attacked by shark - war between sharks and humans imminent?"
"Study says cupcakes are healthiest things to eat on Earth"
"These 5 healthy foods are actually killing you right now"

Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:32 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Some parts of the film espeically with Brick feel very awkward. It may take a couple of viewings to appreciate the film like with the first Anchorman.

Also best cameos for that fight scene had to be with John C Rielly, Liam Neeson and Jim Carrey.

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:11 pm
Sbil

The original Anchorman is one of the funniest movies ever, IMO. There's no way the sequel was going to live up to that, and it doesn't. But this is still more of the same incredibly bizarre humor the first one had, and it's screamingly funny at times. Like the first Anchorman, I think this needs repeat viewings to pick up on all the jokes/lines. B+

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:59 am
why so serious?

Anchorman 2 isn't as funny as its predecessor, but it's still a huge guilty pleasure. In other circumstances, the bizarre directions the thinly-structured story takes would be too weird to overcome, and the far too long two-hour running time would have been more of a hindrance. As a fan of the characters and the material, though, I enjoyed it heartily. The cast still has great chemistry, there are still plenty of laugh-aloud moments to go around, and the filmmakers succeed in throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the audience in the final 15 minutes. (All those cameos... oh man. :lol: ) For those who didn't care for the humor of the first Anchorman, this sequel is one to avoid. However, for fans of the original, this sequel is a somewhat inferior but still hilarious treat. You stay classy, Ron Burgundy.

B+

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:48 am
Killing With Kindness

jmovies wrote:
Like the first Anchorman, I'll probably enjoy it even more on repeat viewings but this is a darn good sequel which holds plenty of laughs.

agreed

BJs Grade

B+/A-

Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

ANCHORMAN 2 THE LEGEND CONTINUES

I'm not a super fan of the first one, but I thought it was okay. This one I was a bit more interested in seeing probably because of the amount of publicity they had for the film. First, Ron's appeal got old kind of pretty quick for me. I just hate how Dense he is and then you have Brick who is just retarded to some degree. Oh, I hated the whole bit of him and Kristin Wiig. That was ridiculous though I did like their combo outburst when her boss was trying to fire her. The Whammer guy was ridiculous and I didn't get into Rudd's character either. I did like the sequence when Ron went blind for a bit. That was funny, but I remember how there were moments of little to no laughter at some jokes and I hate that in comedies. If it isn't gonna crack a laugh from the audience don't include it. It's just lazy. The final fight sequence was ridiculous but entertaining. I'll give it that. Overall, I found it somewhat funny but nothing memorable.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:21 pm
loyalfromlondon

non sequiturial

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:23 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Meh. I hate Brick. 2/4. I did laugh at "chicken of the cave," just about the only one to do so, so take that for what it is worth.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is incredibly bizarre but has more than a few hilarious lines and setpieces that keep it going, and the entire cast is game. The cameos are also mostly a blast - my favorites were Harrison Ford, Tina Fey, John C. Reilly, Amy Poehler and Kristen Dunst (and Eliza Coupe but I'm probably the only one). On par with the first film. B

Kanye West is absolutely atrocious in his 30 seconds of screentime by the way. I hope he never acts again. The child who played Ron and Veronica's son was also so awful that for a while I thought his character was intentionally supposed to act that way.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:53 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

thompsoncory wrote:
The child who played Ron and Veronica's son was also so awful that for a while I thought his character was intentionally supposed to act that way.

He was.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It reminds me of "the lost movie" released on DVD alongside the original a decade ago, an almost abstract compilation of deleted scenes, extended improvisations, stylistic curlicues, and B-roll footage. Granted, the Anchorman franchise is not where we should turn to for airtight storytelling with awe-inspiring thematic depth, but the first one definitely holds together more firmly as a film unto itself; here, even the motions toward a central point or plot (such as Ron inadvertently inventing FOX News or the new tension in his relationship with Veronica) are flimsy. Still, though, so many of the absurd comic set pieces and improvised one-liners do connect in a huge way, and it is a pleasure to spend more time with Ron Burgundy and the Channel 4 News Team. The ease with which Ferrell and co. can slip into this world and mine humor from it, and the enormous amount of goodwill the first film has generated over the years, saves them from a slight deficit of imagination in other departments.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:20 am
Devil's Advocate

It's really funny. Took a little while to find its legs, but once their news takes off it's a blast. Does a good job being so insane and over the top that it works.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:35 am
The Kramer

I highly recommend the alternate cut to everybody. It's not just that the jokes are funnier, which they are. It's not just that the unrating lets them take the insanity to its extreme, which it does. It's really the pacing and the flow of the movie that is dramatically improved. The extra ten minutes let everything breathe. An extra joke here and there make all the difference in momentum. The extended edition has no mercy. I still like the theatrical version, but this is the movie I wanted all along.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:16 am
why so serious?

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
It's really the pacing and the flow of the movie that is dramatically improved.

Agreed. It's incredibly strange: a two-and-a-half-hour comedy should drag like hell, yet the padded running time somehow makes the film run more smoothly.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:09 pm
Extraordinary

I told you guys the 140 minute version didn't feel any longer!

That's what struck me when I saw the final cut months after the test screening: they kept all of the dead weight while ditching a lot of really funny stuff.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:48 pm

I disagree the RV joke in the theatrical was the best moment of the film, ruined by the Alternate cut. Outside of the Musical number, I found the whole new version less funny and poorly paced. Even John C Reilly's part is ruined with less funny banter. Now if they could have kept the theatrical version, and add the funnier stuff. Which I think they did with the DVD, I'm on board for that.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next