Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Carrie (2013) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Carrie (2013) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Carrie (2013)
Carrie (2013)

Quote:
Carrie is an upcoming 2013 American supernatural horror film. It is the third film adaptation of Stephen King's 1974 novel of the same name, though MGM and Screen Gems, who are producing the film, employed a script that is reportedly more faithful to King's original novel. The film stars Chloƫ Grace Moretz as the titular Carrie White, and Julianne Moore as Carrie's mother, Margaret White. Following the initial announcement of March 15, 2013 as the release date, the film's public launch was later postponed to October 18, 2013.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: Carrie (2013)
Kimberly Peirce's Carrie, narratively rather faithful to the 1976 version, feels a bit unnecessary when all is said and done. But it ends up mostly working, largely thanks to credible performances from Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore. Moretz plays the role quite differently than Sissy Spacek did, and the young actress is believable and sympathetic. Moore is terrific; it's a chilling performance much more nuanced than Piper Laurie's histrionics. The rest of the actors (other than a fun turn from Judy Greer) don't bring much to the table, looking like they just wandered off sets of generic CW shows. Although the film doesn't feel like it brings anything new to the table that wasn't here 37 years ago, its discussion themes (especially bullying) are more timely than ever. And for that reason, as well as the performances of Moretz and Moore, I have no problem with this film's existence. B-

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:57 am
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

B

Better than expected.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:11 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

the stuff dealing with the teens other than Carrie was horrific. Chloe and Moore elevate the movie although they deserved being in a better product.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:55 am
Extraordinary

Chloe Grace Moretz is really, really, really good. The rest is fine, I suppose. It's basically THE OMEN '06 all over again. Serviceable while being a carbon copy and never really justifying its existence.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:35 am
Cream of the Crop

the omen 06 is fuckin bad.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:38 am
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

THE OMEN '06 is exactly the same as THE OMEN '76 but without any sense of originality or inspiration.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:53 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was actually really good. It's mostly elevated by the incredibly strong performances from Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore, who are both fantastic in this. Judy Greer also is great in a supporting turn (I was really glad her character ended up living since the original had it differently) and the rest of the teens aren't terrible and serve their purpose. I actually preferred the first hour or so leading up to the prom scene - I thought it was very well-developed and interesting. The actual prom sequence is a little tamer than I expected and goes by a bit too fast but it works - I just wish there wasn't as much of a reliance on visual effects. This isn't a particularly scary movie, but it's a worthy remake of the original and I think pretty relevant to the younger generation in this day and age. B+

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:33 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I haven't seen the original in years but I remember not caring for it. The story was great but I wasn't impressed with the execution, so I was open to a remake. I have to say I loved it. Definitely more than expected. Kimberly Pierce (Boys Don't Cry) did a fine job directing this update of the classic tale, and fantastic performances from Chloƫ Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore really elevate this from being another pointless horror remake. Moore is unsurprisingly great, giving a subtly terrifying performance. Moretz really impressed me as I didn't expect her to be so good. For the longest time I thought she was wrong for the role. Nothing against her but I didn't see her as Carrie. Even from the trailer I was unsure. But it didn't take long before she won me over. This is easily her best performance to date. I was also very charmed by Ansel Elgort as Tommy. Obviously he's not on the same level as the two leads but he was really likeable. Loved the early scenes at the prom with him and Carrie.

Sadly I don't believe this story will ever stop being relevant, and this is a very satisfying update. Taken on its own merits this is better than the majority of wide-release horror films. It's very entertaining and at times pretty heartbreaking. I would absolutely recommend it. While it's incredibly unlikely she'd get one Moore is worthy of a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination.

8/10 (B+)

A couple of little nitpicks about the ending.
Spoiler: show
I could have gone without the CGI effect on the tombstone. And I wasn't fond of an upbeat rock song ending the film. Maybe during the second half of the end credits, but not right off the bat.

Last edited by Magic Mike on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:10 am
Forum General

I'll admit the performances from Moretz and Moore are solid and the movie is for the most part well made/well shot or whatever you want to call it, but still this was such an unnecessary, unwanted remake.

Besides the modern tech update which I wish they would have done more with it's as paint by the numbers as it can get. I like Chloe Grace Moretz a lot and her acting here isn't bad, but I just couldn't really buy her as Carrie no matter how hard they tried. The excessive, awful CGI didn't make things any better either.

I mean that whole scene with Chris/Billy in the car trying to run Carrie over was so much better and effective in the original. Simple yes, but still more convincing than the ridiculous, over the top shit we get here.

For a second, I honestly thought I was watching something out of a videogame.

Last edited by Dil on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:50 am
Extraordinary

CARRIE

I thought it was good, but nothing great. I thought Chloe and Julianne were very good in their roles. Maybe Julianne was a bit too over the top, but Chloe was just spot on. I was very surprised at how closely this resembled/copied the original. I didn't expect that. It certainly was NOT deserving of an R. Idk how it got slapped with that. Some of the gore visuals were pretty bleh, but I did like seeing her power showed off in a variety of settings. It would have been interesting if they went another direction in the film with Carrie being referenced as a witch. Maybe she was some demon-touched child and that's why her mother was how she was. Oh, and Tommy dying Again. Come on now. The teacher lives some how. Shute.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:48 am
loyalfromlondon

perfunctory

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:07 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I actually really enjoyed this. And as most everyone has said, Moore and Moretz were aces, and they really made you feel sympathetic towards Carrie. I really only watched most of the original, but have almost no memory of it.

B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:51 am
now we know

trixster wrote:
perfunctory

Aren't most remakes?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:41 am
Profile WWW
now we know

First film was shit, this is even worse.

F

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Did you not save your review outside of posting it on here? I read it yesterday but that was during the server change so it didn't save.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:42 am
now we know

I only save them here.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]